• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#21 TTK Ciar

TTK Ciar

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,015 posts

Posted 04 September 2019 - 2251 PM

I concur that Teams is annoying and poorly implemented, but it makes sense "on paper" to management, here.

We used to use IRC for work-chat, Skype for video conferencing, and Samba fileshares for file-sharing.

Then we switched to Hipchat for work-chat, which was annoying but offered nifty integrations with the Atlassian toolchain (JIRA, BitBucket, Confluence), which people adored.

Now Hipchat is going to go away, and supposedly Skype will go away too, so we need to migrate to something, and we're under pressure to eliminate our "rogue" fileshares.

Teams provides chat, video conferencing, filesharing and limited Atlassian integration. It also seems unlikely to disappear any time soon. Also, management likes the idea of desktop sharing for collaboration.

I would have preferred to stick with IRC and write our own integrations (which we're doing anyway for Teams, since so far we can only get the JIRA integration to work) and telling the company to stick it in their ear wrt the fileshares, but have no idea what to recommend for video conferencing.

So I guess I get to grin and bear it, at least until there's a Linux Teams client which supports all of the features management expects.