• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#21 Daan

Daan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,959 posts

Posted 25 October 2018 - 1520 PM

Is the Oculus Rift worth it? No trouble seeing the instruments and spotting enemies?

I am still struggling through the Mirage 2000C Red Flag campaign, trying to survive the Iranian F-14s. :unsure:

#22 Calvinb1nav

Calvinb1nav

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 525 posts
  • Interests:military and aviation history, wargaming, shooting, travel, geography

Posted 25 October 2018 - 1635 PM

I don't think it's quite worth it just yet.  The resolution isn't quite good enough though the immersion is amazing.  

#23 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

Just Another Salisbury Tourist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 49,993 posts

Posted 26 October 2018 - 0201 AM

I feel much the same way. The resolution, sometimes you feel you are look at a 640 480 sim back in the 1990's, which is sometimes a problem when you are head down in a cockpit. I had to program a zoom in button on my hotas just so I could read some of the smaller screens when flying the Harrier. You also have an issue at seeing aircraft at a distance, though thats perhaps more of an issue with propsims, because you dont have an onboard radar to give you that distant view.

All that said, when you get in a furball, there is no real compensation for the situational awareness you get from vr.  You probably need a silk scarf, you are gong to be throwing your head around so much. :D

Probably worth waiting on the technology to develop for a few more years. There is some interesting tech in the pipeline including feedback gloves, and the view out the vr is only going to improve. It would be good if designers would also recognise a good part of the population use glasses, which make OR something of a pig to use.

Edited by Stuart Galbraith, 26 October 2018 - 0202 AM.

#24 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 49,993 posts

Posted 28 October 2018 - 1311 PM

Just noticed you can take the sweatband off the OR and make it much easier to use with glasses.Hmm, maybe they should put that int he instruction manual...

Just played my first ever multiplayer combat session in my Fulcrum. Picked up something at long range, burned through the jamming, got close and fired 2 R77's, which he skillfully evaded and dove for the cover of a Valley. However, having a VR set, I was able to put the circle of doom on him, lock him up, and fired an R73 (those things are INSANELY maneuverable) and it hit him in the face. Gamely he tried to fly his way out of it, but his engine must have crapped out and he spread himself on a mountain top. Even better, I was able to fly home and make one of the nicest landings ive ever made in the Fulcrum. (Although most of the other ones I did I crashed and burned, but lets not focus on that)

I still didnt know what exactly I killed, so I fired up Tactview which is a free addon that imports the game files. It basically replicates what you see in Topgun (in full colour) so you can see exactly who shot what and when. So fired it up and found out I had just splashed a Mirage 2000. I really hope he was French and it shook has gallic confidence. That probably makes me a bad person.

You all need to be doing this. Its insanely fun.

Edited by Stuart Galbraith, 28 October 2018 - 1311 PM.

#25 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 49,993 posts

Posted 17 November 2018 - 1250 PM

#26 Mr King

Mr King

Shopping Center Tactician

• Members
  • 18,280 posts

Posted 20 November 2018 - 2327 PM

Man that looks awesome. 

#27 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 49,993 posts

Posted 21 November 2018 - 0327 AM

Apparently you can operate it from an F14 NATOP's manual. But then you can pretty much do that already with the AV8B and FA18.

Its a good time for maritime aviation fans. The DCS community has come up with an A4E that is carrier capable, and to be honest, one hell of a lot of fun to fly.

This is going to be a really popular ride when the Falkland Islands DLC is available.

#28 Calvinb1nav

Calvinb1nav

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 525 posts
  • Interests:military and aviation history, wargaming, shooting, travel, geography

Posted 21 November 2018 - 1617 PM

Amazing they got a working ground-to-air radar before the FA-18C module did.

#29 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 49,993 posts

Posted 22 November 2018 - 0255 AM

The radar on the A4 isnt fantastic. It basically gives ridge and coastline data, so it seems almost like the old H2S. But it cant give data on buildings or jetties or things like that, so its of no real use for targeting purposes, at least as far as I can tell. OTOH, it does apparently have a TFR mode, which I have to figure out how to use. Time to hit the NATOPs I think...

#30 Daan

Daan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,959 posts

Posted 22 November 2018 - 1058 AM

DCS currently has a 50% sale on most modules. I bought the AJS-37 Viggen, but haven't tried it.

#31 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 49,993 posts

Posted 22 November 2018 - 1121 AM

Not got the viggen myself, Ive always been a big fan of the aircraft it looks very complicated. Staying current on the Harrier is difficult enough. :D

Got the Mirage 2000 a while back, which is a nice aircraft, but the INS on it to me looks like it was designed by a complete maniac.

The Mig21 ive got the hang of landing, im still figuring out how to use RSBN navigation. The L39 (a nice module in its own right) does have a very nice training package attached to it.

Edited by Stuart Galbraith, 22 November 2018 - 1121 AM.

#32 Calvinb1nav

Calvinb1nav

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 525 posts

Posted 22 November 2018 - 1201 PM

The radar on the A4 isnt fantastic. It basically gives ridge and coastline data, so it seems almost like the old H2S. But it cant give data on buildings or jetties or things like that, so its of no real use for targeting purposes, at least as far as I can tell. OTOH, it does apparently have a TFR mode, which I have to figure out how to use. Time to hit the NATOPs I think...

No worse than the radar I learned on in the T-39N.  :)

#33 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 49,993 posts

Posted 22 November 2018 - 1234 PM

No, fair enough. :D

Ive actually found an Aussie bombing manual with gives the correct mil settings for angle and speed. Im kind of hoping it might make  it unnecessary to balls out dives on targets like a Stuka. Fun though it undoubtedly is.

#34 Daan

Daan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,959 posts

Posted 23 November 2018 - 1422 PM

Not got the viggen myself, Ive always been a big fan of the aircraft it looks very complicated. Staying current on the Harrier is difficult enough. :D

Got the Mirage 2000 a while back, which is a nice aircraft, but the INS on it to me looks like it was designed by a complete maniac.

The Mig21 ive got the hang of landing, im still figuring out how to use RSBN navigation. The L39 (a nice module in its own right) does have a very nice training package attached to it.

The Mirage 2000C's INS is not so bad for an early 1980s plane. If you pay attention in the training missions and study the manual you will learn to deal with it. After playing the two Mirage campaigns I managed to the get the hang of it. The maker of the campaigns, Baltic Dragon, loves to provide you with new coordinates and demand such tricks as waypoint offset bombing using GBU-12s.

The MiG-21bis is still parked in the garage :) I haven't dared to touch it yet. Currently I am learning the F-5E, which has so far impressed me as nice, simple aircraft. 

Edited by Daan, 23 November 2018 - 1422 PM.

#35 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 49,993 posts

Posted 23 November 2018 - 1432 PM

I had problems with the Mig21 for ages. But ive found of late it to be easier to land. Partly because I bought a Warthog throttle and stick, but mainly because ive been flying it via VR. VR doesnt do much for seeing long distance, but it does wonders for landing. I had absolute hell landing the F15 as well, but that has also been easier in VR.

I bought the L39 to practice some instrument approaches, and to give it full credit, its very good at that. I like that it has an AI instructor that will bring down the hood over your head so you will fly purely on instruments. I found that REALLY useful training.

If you have any money left over, I strongly encourage you to get the harrier. Not only is it probably the easier complicated aircraft to start (even I managed to memorize it) and is a really, really fun aeroplane to fly. You really learn something about flying when trying to plant it on the back of an LPH.

yeah fair one on the mirage. Its just ive not paid enough time to it. The Chuck Guide on it was pretty explanatory I have to admit. Its still complicated. :)

Edited by Stuart Galbraith, 23 November 2018 - 1433 PM.

#36 Daan

Daan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,959 posts

Posted 23 November 2018 - 1639 PM

I have the Warthog stick and throttle as well, found the set second hand and hardly used for only € 100,-, offered by a guy that had made a switch to racing games. Quite nice, as I came from the old MS Sidewinder 2. I bought a second hand set of TrackIR5 for the same price. Not as cool as VR, but my PC needs an upgrade for that anyway.

How is the (payware) L39 campaign? $30,- for just a trainer is bit much, especially when there are other planes collecting dust in the hangar. So far I have played with the Ka-50 and finished three of its campaign a few years back, the Mirage 2000C with its two campaigns and I started with the F-5E this week. No multiplayer as of yet.

The Mirage 2000C manual (in addition to Chuck's guide) has some useful information on the INS.

Edited by Daan, 23 November 2018 - 1639 PM.

#37 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 49,993 posts

Posted 24 November 2018 - 0306 AM

Ive barely scratched the surface of it yet, I was just getting the hang of the L39 with the bundled training missions. But the L39 training campaign (bundled separate) looks quite good, and from what ive read on the DCS forum's, it does a REALLY good job of making people better pilots.

I bought the KA50, but ive not flown it for years. I have played a the Huey quite a bit though. I think its achieved the incredible result of actually making me a better virtual pilot. There is nothing like a vortex ring state to make you focus the mind and watch your instruments. And playing it in VR with the sound pack, well, lets just say we are missing a decent vietnam campaign.

Played multiplayer a bit. Ive not had a hell of a lot of success, but that I think is down to my fondness of flying the mig29s. It mostly sucks in BVR, but if you can get to maybe the edge of of visual range and bvr range, the R77's do start to dominate a fight. If you get within visual range, pretty much everything is dead meat. Thats how I managed to bag a hapless Mirage 2000. I might have got a couple more, if they didnt have a penchant for shutting down servers for restart just as Im flying.

Ive lost a lot more of course. :D

#38 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 49,993 posts

Posted 24 November 2018 - 0433 AM

Livestream in about 9 hours on the new F14 DLC.

#39 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 49,993 posts

Posted 27 December 2018 - 1106 AM

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users