84 replies to this topic

#81 BansheeOne

BansheeOne

Bullshit filter overload, venting into civility charger

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12,301 posts

Posted 08 April 2018 - 1204 PM

I've talked this over with Dave, and we intend to attend. Banshee Four is also interested though in his case it may depend on his girlfriend, who as a teacher would be prevented from coming along since summer break in Lower Saxony starts only a week after the end of the I&I, on the 28th. For both Banshees an additional constraint is that on the 24th we have a baptism in the family (and another one the weekend after that), though that's no dealbreaker for me; at most I might leave a day early. Ironically a possible complication time-wise is that I'm currently unemployed - I might get an immediate job offer I can't refuse within the next two months, and would be unlikely to get time off that quickly afterwards. Well, that would be tough luck.

Dave and I have of course been to Normandy, the Pas-de-Calais and Vimy Ridge before, but neither of us has been to Paris. So for that part our priority is the city itself rather than day trips into Northern France, though we would of course be along for Saumur. In fact as I've told Harold, I'm gonna hit up a former French intern at my former office who is originally from Saumur (dad was a cavalryman) and currently studying in Paris if she has any advice or might even show us around some parts if possible. Since Vimy is right on the way to Ypres, we thought it might be a stop on the transfer there.

As for Normandy, we'll definitely do Cherbourg since we failed to get there on our 2010 trip. We think however that this will be a day trip by itself (Dave also points out a historic airship base nearby), so others might spend it elsewhere, appropriate transport solutions provided. Dave will be forthcoming with a list of Normandy sites which might interest the group as a whole, even if we have seen them before ourselves. Some new ones have emerged since of course, there are some we missed earlier, and also some like Arromanches we would like to re-visit. In general we think that of the other two Normandy days, we might spend one one sites close to Caen, and one in the Omaha/Utah Beach area.

#82 Ken Estes

Ken Estes

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14,240 posts
  • Interests:USMC Tanker, Historian

Posted 10 April 2018 - 0038 AM

I forgot to mention that I found the visit to the Vimy memorial very moving. Not so the reconstructed trenches and strongpoints, which had no flavor of the timeframe, with a commercial center for 'interpretation.'

Edited by Ken Estes, 10 April 2018 - 0048 AM.

#83 Dave Clark

Dave Clark

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,000 posts

Posted 10 April 2018 - 0609 AM

Okay here's my list of things to see in Normandy. I've actually divided it into two; what, in my opinion, are "must-sees", and then "nice -to-sees". As far as possible I've gone from West to East along the coast.

Utah Beach with the Utah Beach Landing Museum, Sainte-Marie-du-Mont
Airborne Museum, Sainte-Mère-Eglise
German Cemetery, La Combe. Included for the Fanbois - Wittmann is buried here
Pointe du Hoc artillery position
Omaha Beach and the Omaha Beach Memorial Museum, Saint-Laurent-sur-Mer
US Cemetery, Colleville-sur-Mer
Overlord Museum, Colleville-sur-Mer (this is a new museum)
Memorial Museum of the Battle of Normandy, Bayeux
British Cemetery, Bayeux (the largest of the 17 British cemeteries in Normandy)
D-Day Museum, Arromanches les Bains (with a large section on the Mulberry Harbour - bits of which can still be seen on the beach outside)
Caen Memorial, Caen
Juno Beach Museum, Courseulles-sur-Mer (this is the Canadian museum)
Canadian Cemetery, Cintheaux (includes a memorial to Gérard Doré, a 16 year old Canadian soldier killed on 23 July 1944)
Pegasus Memorial, Ranville
Atlantic Wall Museum, Ouistreham

Liberation Museum, Cherbourg
Le Redoutable SSBN, Cherbourg
WW1 airship hanger, Montebourg-Ecausseville
Battery Museum, Longues-sur-Mer
No 4 Commando Museum, Ouistreham (including the French commandos who landed here)
Merville Battery Museum, Merville-Franceville
Radar Museum, Douvres-la-Deliverande
Bocage Breakthrouzgh Museum, Saint-Martin des Besaces (mainly covers the British and OP BLUECOAT)
Polish Cemetery, Grainville-Langannerie

#84 Harold Jones

Harold Jones

Shaken but not deterred...

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8,398 posts
  • Interests:Armor, History, Fishing and Beer

Posted 10 April 2018 - 1003 AM

Looks like a good list, my preference is that we plan our detailed itinerary for each day the night before in whatever bar is convenient.

#85 Markus Becker

Markus Becker

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,491 posts

Posted 11 April 2018 - 0422 AM

How do the various elements of the German TN contingent intend to travel?

I'll take a Thalys(TGV) on the 12th. Probably 9448 from Cologne.

Edited by Markus Becker, 11 April 2018 - 0424 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 2018 I&I, France

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users