6130 replies to this topic

#6121 Gavin-Phillips

Gavin-Phillips

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,563 posts

Posted 16 June 2019 - 0433 AM

Was a prototype of the "T-74" ever built or did the concept never make it off the drawing board?  It'd be interesting to know more about such a vehicle, looks quite an advanced design.

I think I've seen a small scale model of the "T-74" before somewhere but I cannot recall where from.

This is as far as it went I think:

Bit of a shame really, it would have been a really interesting vehicle to have seen in the metal, something certainly quite unique to have on display at a place like Kubinka.

I've just found the T-14 Armata video (how it came to be by Red Effect) and I've spotted the hull of the screenshot you posted above.  So they got at least as far as the hull then.  I take it that the scale model of the vehicle may still survive?

And as for the Objekt 195 and "two prototypes"?  Hmm...I wonder what they're being used for now then?

#6122 Harkonnen

Harkonnen

Andrei

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,419 posts
  • Interests:Tanks, Art, history

Posted 17 June 2019 - 1629 PM

Was a prototype of the "T-74" ever built or did the concept never make it off the drawing board?  It'd be interesting to know more about such a vehicle, looks quite an advanced design.

I think I've seen a small scale model of the "T-74" before somewhere but I cannot recall where from.

This is as far as it went I think:

bvoJxcF.jpg

It is Object 299 from Leningrad.

#6123 Harkonnen

Harkonnen

Andrei

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,419 posts

Posted 19 June 2019 - 1023 AM

First combat employment of the T-64. 19-20 July 1992.

image007.jpg

image013.jpg

The first place of combat employment of the T-64BV was the battle for the city of Bendery, occupied by Moldovan troops.  On June 20, occurred the so-called civilian seizure of 11 T-64BV tanks of 59 motorized rifle divisions of the 14-th army which were on a long-term storage.  On the same day, hastily removed from the conservation tanks have already participated in the battle.  About this events -  https://btvtinfo.blo...of-t-64-19.html

#6124 Gavin-Phillips

Gavin-Phillips

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,563 posts

Posted 19 June 2019 - 1357 PM

Intriguing!

If anyone can remember Baryatinsky's book "Tanks in Chechnya", there were a couple of pictures in that book showing a T-64BV with the characteristic upturned turret on the hull on a bridge.  These two pictures created quite a discussion (sometimes heated) about the T-64 and if it had ever served either in Chechnya or in the surrounding area.

I wonder if those two pictures were taken in the same timeframe as the above images and video? 

I still have yet to find a copy of that book.  The pictures alone should make it worth continuing to look out for. 

#6125 Harkonnen

Harkonnen

Andrei

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,419 posts

Posted 19 June 2019 - 1408 PM

T-64BV?  No, maybe Js-3

#6126 DogDodger

DogDodger

Cornre durg dealing ilk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,511 posts
  • Interests:tanks, driving, hockey

Posted 19 June 2019 - 1558 PM

Intriguing!

If anyone can remember Baryatinsky's book "Tanks in Chechnya", there were a couple of pictures in that book showing a T-64BV with the characteristic upturned turret on the hull on a bridge.  These two pictures created quite a discussion (sometimes heated) about the T-64 and if it had ever served either in Chechnya or in the surrounding area.

I wonder if those two pictures were taken in the same timeframe as the above images and video? 

I still have yet to find a copy of that book.  The pictures alone should make it worth continuing to look out for.

The pictures in that book were taken in "the approaches to" Bendery in 1992, but the tanks don't appear to be on a bridge.

#6127 Gavin-Phillips

Gavin-Phillips

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,563 posts

Posted 20 June 2019 - 1253 PM

Intriguing!

The pictures in that book were taken in "the approaches to" Bendery in 1992, but the tanks don't appear to be on a bridge.

Thanks.  

#6128 DogDodger

DogDodger

Cornre durg dealing ilk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,511 posts

Posted 20 June 2019 - 2133 PM

Gavin, actually it turns out that our own alejandro_ posted the two pictures from the book here. The road the tanks are on looks to be at ground level to me?

#6129 Gavin-Phillips

Gavin-Phillips

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,563 posts

Posted 21 June 2019 - 0827 AM

Gavin, actually it turns out that our own alejandro_ posted the two pictures from the book here. The road the tanks are on looks to be at ground level to me?

Yes those are the pictures I recall.  The crash barrier behind the tank/s must be what made me think if was on the bridge (or at least on the approaches anyway).

#6130 Wiedzmin

Wiedzmin

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,318 posts

Posted 22 June 2019 - 0525 AM

105mm APFSDS from smoothbore vs T-62

#6131 DogDodger

DogDodger

Cornre durg dealing ilk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,511 posts

Posted Yesterday, 11:43 PM

Yes those are the pictures I recall.  The crash barrier behind the tank/s must be what made me think if was on the bridge (or at least on the approaches anyway).

Agreed; the guard rail had me do a double-take when I went to check the book. :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users