7565 replies to this topic

#7561 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

Just Another Salisbury Tourist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 52,761 posts

Posted 12 July 2019 - 0646 AM

Well its a complicated one, in that if they aren't US allies, they aren't Russian ones either. Ive come around to the idea that minimising the potential exposure of F35 is no bad thing, but is it going to be worth it if we end up pushing this clueless bugger into Russia's arms? Probably not.

As for a mechanism to withdraw people from NATO, thats a dangerous course I dont want. Because if there WAS, you know Russia would go balls out to try and get us to backtrack from Eastern Europe. More to the point, the American President would be exploiting the same rules to withdraw from defending people he sees no value in, such as Montenegro.

Maybe we will get lucky and Erdogan will just get run over by a bus. It seems to me his political career is already on the skids anyway, so he would probably be doing himself a favour.

#7562 glenn239

glenn239

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4,981 posts

Posted 12 July 2019 - 0711 AM

I personally never wanted Turkey to get the F-35 anyway, so as long as the administration follows through with its threat I'm fine with Turkey having S400s. Quite honestly its a better system than the US offerings anyway.

The current administration is dug in on this issue.  If Trump loses in 2020, it's an easy call for a Dem President to reverse.

#7563 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

Just Another Salisbury Tourist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 52,761 posts

Posted 12 July 2019 - 0723 AM

Its not. Its Congress that is the one demanding that America blocks the sale of the F35.

http://dailyhellas.c...jets-to-turkey/

#7564 Josh

Josh

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14,182 posts

Posted 12 July 2019 - 0749 AM

Well its a complicated one, in that if they aren't US allies, they aren't Russian ones either. Ive come around to the idea that minimising the potential exposure of F35 is no bad thing, but is it going to be worth it if we end up pushing this clueless bugger into Russia's arms? Probably not.

As for a mechanism to withdraw people from NATO, thats a dangerous course I dont want. Because if there WAS, you know Russia would go balls out to try and get us to backtrack from Eastern Europe. More to the point, the American President would be exploiting the same rules to withdraw from defending people he sees no value in, such as Montenegro.

Maybe we will get lucky and Erdogan will just get run over by a bus. It seems to me his political career is already on the skids anyway, so he would probably be doing himself a favour.

I don't see how Turkey could be more in the arms of Russia than it already is without doing something that is very contrary to their interests. I don't think the Erdogang will ally with a Russia playing in the Ottoman part of the world. The one thing I think they would be willing to do is throw US technology to the Russians in return for concessions in Syria or more S400s. So I think keeping F-35 from them is sound.

If The Sultan keeps going down thecurrent path, he will eventually preside over an economically ruined Turkey, in which case he'd be hard pressed to win a legitimate election. I suspect he would simply declare an emergency and stay in power regardless of any election though.

#7565 Josh

Josh

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14,182 posts

Posted 12 July 2019 - 0750 AM

Its not. Its Congress that is the one demanding that America blocks the sale of the F35.

I don't think the Dems are predisposed to supporting Turkey either. There's not a lot of love for the AKP in Washington regardless of party.

#7566 glenn239

glenn239

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4,981 posts

Posted 12 July 2019 - 0857 AM

Ah - the next administration might not reverse Trump then.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users