4050 replies to this topic

#41 Edmund

Edmund

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,550 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 1357 PM

I need a giant heavy tank that can barely be hurt and shoots fast.

Try british heavies, slow as hell but they get the same guns the mediums get a tier lower and they take a surprising amount of punishment sometimes

Seems that my gun will lift up over objects even if the gun really wouldn't hit them. Is it me or does it do that? That was a problem way back when, but I thought they fixed it.

there are two possible causes for that - either your aim point has moved to a more distant/higher up target, so your gun aimed up to compensate. The other is that your tank is not on flat ground, and ran out of gun depression. The fix they implemented was removing the ability to aim at buildings, so your gun would be pointed at the ground on the other side - this makes life easier if you're popping out around a building and didn't lock your gun

Which brings me to a question. I seem to recall that torque is more important for pulling heavy things then HP. Is that correct? If true, does the game model that?

Thanks

HP is just torque at a given RPM, so I can't see why it would be more important. A high RPM low torque engine can just be geared down to provide more torque at less speed. In an engine peak torque is generally reached well below peak horsepower, giving a rough approximation of how much pulling power it has in gear over a wide RPM range, but in a tank with each gear only covering a few mph you should be able to keep the engine close to the powerband most of the time

Thanks. Misinformed on torque then.

For the gun thing. I was moving around a rock chasing another tank. As I got past the rock there was a low outcrop that my gun wouldn't have hit but it jumped up just as I fired at the tank. Of course I missed and he hit me. Don't understand locking my gun.

Trying British heavies too. Have Churchill VII and working to Black Prince.

Trying USSR, US and German heavies too. So far I think IS-3 is best of the tier 8's (I think it is tier 8) I have. I have no tier 9 heavies yet.

#42 Colin

Colin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,946 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 1357 PM

Horsepower to weight is the issue, really shows when you hit a hill. I use 100 octane gas in my Lowe, speeds up the tank and turret, plus my driver has off-road and clutch braking skills, now working on smooth driving. All added they help the tank move quicker.

Edited by Colin, 28 January 2013 - 1358 PM.

#43 Edmund

Edmund

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,550 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 1404 PM

Horsepower to weight is the issue, really shows when you hit a hill. I use 100 octane gas in my Lowe, speeds up the tank and turret, plus my driver has off-road and clutch braking skills, now working on smooth driving. All added they help the tank move quicker.

Oh ok. So my Löwe need a bigger engine. :D Who do I see about that? Tuccy or Bojan? :)

I am only on my 3rd skill for my crew. Repair and Fire 100%. Working on BIA. Thanks for the info. My next skill for my driver will off-road. I went with Repair and fire because something is always broken or on fire. :(

#44 Fritz

Fritz

Master of Panzer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7,598 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 1427 PM

Locking the gun - keep your right mouse button pressed, this stops the turret and gun from moving.

#45 Skywalkre

Skywalkre

Garry F!@#$%g Owen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8,870 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 1438 PM

Still slowly grinding the KV-4 (Very slow). I have the turret, engine and gun to get still. Since I believe the stock turret can take the better 107mm I thought I would make that my main goal. Am I correct that the better 107mm will fit the stock turret?

It will. You can check which guns will work in a turret by right-clicking on it. At the bottom of the new window you'll see which guns are compatible with the turret. In this case, the 107mm ZiS-24 fits in the turret KV-4.

Remember, it's always best to get the top gun first.

#46 Max H

Max H

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,656 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 1503 PM

Highlights from RU dev Q&A:

• All branches ending in T5 lights will be extended to higher tiers, eventually
  • 10 new maps planned for 2013
  • T-50-2 replacement confirmed for 8.6
  • german mediums confirmed for 8.5 (researched from 3002DB
  • brit arty 8.6 (well, they said t-50-2 replacement in 8.6 with brit TD's, german meds and brit arty coming first so IMO it's likely it'll pan out that way)
  • TX arty around end of summer
  • japanese and more french lines not high priority
  • fv215b replacement being considered, they have a replacement tank they like (here's my guess)
  • T23 will return as premium
  • another US med line confirmed (gotta be T95 IMO)

More in the links, but it's less interesting stuff.
http://ftr-wot.blogs...01/2812013.html
http://ftr-wot.blogs...13-special.html

#47 snotman

snotman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 1645 PM

Call me an uninitiated noob but I had no idea this kind of thing happened in Clan Wars. http://www.youtube.c...h?v=Dr3pIPR4bFA . Guess I am insulated in the pubbie world but I am actually shocked/upset. :wacko:

Scott

#48 Marek Tucan

Marek Tucan

Powerpoint Ranger, Chairborne

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,973 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 1703 PM

Business as usual in the clan lands...

#49 Skywalkre

Skywalkre

Garry F!@#$%g Owen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8,870 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 1743 PM

So... what did I just watch? Someone care to explain?

#50 Harold Jones

Harold Jones

Shaken but not deterred...

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4,393 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 1745 PM

I remember when 3AC was big enough to be a somewhat minor force in clan wars we had a regular province rotation worked out with 3 other 'Africa" clans so that everyone had a shot at owning the higher earning provinces for an equal time, there were also various non-aggression and mutual defense agreements and such as well.

The two clans made a deal over who got the province, and once the word got pushed to all the green guys they stood down and let red cap out.

Edited by Harold Jones, 28 January 2013 - 1746 PM.

#51 Max H

Max H

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,656 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 1802 PM

WTF? What massive douchebags.

Business as usual in the clan lands...

The two clans made a deal over who got the province, and once the word got pushed to all the green guys they stood down and let red cap out.

That's as may be, but there was no need to be such dicks about it

#52 FlyingCanOpener

FlyingCanOpener

Kakistocrat

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9,136 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 1808 PM

Call me an uninitiated noob but I had no idea this kind of thing happened in Clan Wars. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dr3pIPR4bFA . Guess I am insulated in the pubbie world but I am actually shocked/upset. :wacko:

Scott

Guess since I'm the local Forge/Anvil guy, I'll explain:

Revolt is part of the Burning Legion (Havok, Hav0k, No Vacancy, Bad Brotherhood, and Revolt), who are really, really close with Forge (Actually closer than Guerrillas since Forge came initially from Havok, but this is a matter of degree).

When we got word of the North American map came out, we all got together and agreed to not step on each other's toes, and to clear for each other. Forge would get a clear shot to take the southwest quadrant, Havok northwest, -G- Southeast, and Northeast a free-for-all, with Anvil getting priority if we got to the final, because Anvil is the top second clan of the three. We would also burn chip stacks clearing for each other, and when we ran into the clan slated to try to take the quadrant, you go AFK and stand down.

Well, Revolt gets to face Forge... and they ignore orders and tried to fight. BarrooM is the head of Forge, so when he says in battle to stand down because he's got a deal with Havok when we all knew what was going down... you need to stand down. Apparently heads rolled at Revolt after that.

And it's stuff like that that has all of the scrubs raging on the forums that WG is in cahoots with Forge, Havok, and G about the landing. We all agreed to not get in each other's way and clear for each other because we wanted to take land to prove yet again that the top clans are up top because, well, we're kind of good. The top clans wanted it to be a Tier 10 event, but stopped complaining so the smaller clans could get their wish because apparently we are only good because we have top tier tanks. We mop the floor with all of them no matter what tank they have, and they cry that we're in top secret negotiations with WG for them to give us the land is the reason why we won.

TL;DR: Revolt goofed, got called on it, and Forge, G, and Havok are the reason for all of World of Tanks ills. Oh well.

Posted Image

[edit: clarify]

Edited by FlyingCanOpener, 28 January 2013 - 1810 PM.

#53 Skywalkre

Skywalkre

Garry F!@#$%g Owen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8,870 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 1905 PM

Still, color me unimpressed. Sounds like CW needs some work (ok, I know that's not a revolutionary statement) so there's less of this political garbage and more, you know, fighting. :glare:

#54 Fritz

Fritz

Master of Panzer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7,598 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 1932 PM

I don't understand what the problem is? It's just clan diplomacy, business as usual. Why the uproar?

#55 Harold Jones

Harold Jones

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4,393 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 1935 PM

There is no way to prevent collusion between clans so WoT takes the stance that it's not only allowed but encouraged. The good thing about it is that if you don't play clan wars it doesn't affect you. The other take away is that big organized clans will always pound smaller or unorganized clans in the long run when it comes to clan wars.

#56 Fritz

Fritz

Master of Panzer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7,598 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 1940 PM

That's why there should be CW tiers, I mean, take the CW map and call it top tier, give current gold rewards on it, give it to top clans to play on, then make another instance, call it lower tier, reduce gold rewards a little, give it to average clans, and then you could do a lowest tier instance with low gold rewards for small/starting clans.

#57 Harold Jones

Harold Jones

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4,393 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 2008 PM

If you give out gold then the limitations won't matter, the big organized clans will rule all the tiers. They might have different clan names and the player accounts may be different but it would still be the same clans top to bottom.

#58 FlyingCanOpener

FlyingCanOpener

Kakistocrat

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9,136 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 2040 PM

If you give out gold then the limitations won't matter, the big organized clans will rule all the tiers. They might have different clan names and the player accounts may be different but it would still be the same clans top to bottom.

Not really. We never cared about Africa, and the long-standing joke was that clans who were bored would map themselves and go "on safari" and rampage across Africa leaving terribad clans strewn about in their wake, as seen by PBKAC and Reddit wiping out entire alliances in a matter of days.. We've mentioned to the devs how it might be best to have lower provinces have tier caps for tanks and clan members and make them worth credits to allow smaller clans to practice on their own, but were told we don't know what we are talking about. Never mind the fact that the only thing that could pry Moscow from G's cold hands was Wargaming wiping the map clean. I mean, why would they go after a 120-gold province in Africa when they were sitting on 16k gold per day? When the map was wiped Forge and Anvil were sitting on 9k per day each.

#59 FlyingCanOpener

FlyingCanOpener

Kakistocrat

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9,136 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 2044 PM

Related: http://forum.worldof...nts-clear-facts

#60 sunday

sunday

Bronze-age right-wing delusional retard

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12,003 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 0525 AM

It seems the Aussies are the Japanese of the Anglosphere when it comes to weird things.

Edited by sunday, 29 January 2013 - 0525 AM.

Reply to this topic