• Please log in to reply
342 replies to this topic

#341 DougRichards

DougRichards

Doug Richards

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9,818 posts
  • Interests:Degree in History and Politics. Interests are Military History, military models,

Posted 15 February 2019 - 0538 AM

Yes, I remember reading about that. Supposedly they didnt expect it to survive the bomb at all, but when they went to it, it was largely intact, but the engine had, not surprisingly, stopped working. However when they expected the fuel tank, it was empty.

Basically, it had kept running through an atomic blast, and then ran out of fuel. :D

and went to Vietnam

#342 Coldsteel

Coldsteel

Romanes eunt domus

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,445 posts
  • Interests:Tanks. What were you expecting, Underwater Basket Weaving?

Posted 15 February 2019 - 0623 AM

You will probably disagree with this, but I think the most destructive thing that Britain ever did to Australia was not to test Atomic bombs there. I think it was exporting rabbits. According to one American author we exported about 7 there back about 200 years ago, so some silly bastard would have something to shoot at whilst sitting on his porch. After they escaped, rabbits basically did what rabbits do and wreaked havoc on the natural environment. Supposedly disease culled the numbers in the 1970's again, but not surprisingly numbers are worse than ever.

Compared to Roger Rabbit and his friends, Blue Danube was small beer when it came to the Australian environment.

British testing for atomic bombs and rockets was actually a major driver for the building of dirt roads through large, hitherto almost unexplored parts of the Outback.

See https://en.wikipedia...iki/Len_Beadell

The bombs didn't leave much behind in terms of long term radioactivity really. You can visit the test sites today if you're so inclined and they're absolutely fine.

As I understand it most of the worst contamination came not from the big bomb tests but the "minor tests", like setting a chunk of plutonium on fire to see what happens if a bomb burns, or blow up a bit of uranium to see how it disperses, and so on.

#343 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

Just Another Salisbury Tourist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,010 posts

Posted 15 February 2019 - 0626 AM

Yes, I remember reading about that. Supposedly they didnt expect it to survive the bomb at all, but when they went to it, it was largely intact, but the engine had, not surprisingly, stopped working. However when they expected the fuel tank, it was empty.

Basically, it had kept running through an atomic blast, and then ran out of fuel. :D

and went to Vietnam

Yeah, and im surprised at that. The VC would probably see it coming in the dark....

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users