#2341 RETAC21

RETAC21

A la lealtad y al valor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13,215 posts
  • Interests:Military history in general

Posted 19 January 2019 - 1352 PM

Weekends are long, noobiness is everpresent, specially with the Eitel Frederich event

#2342 DB

DB

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10,883 posts

Posted 20 January 2019 - 1850 PM

Hell yes. I'm losing the will to live, and there's no chance I'll get to the "reward", I'm not even going to be able to complete the collection because there are no containers with the final rewards and I have as many duplicates as I have originals, and I'm not going to be playing carriers for the chance to change that.

I finished the UK and Japa money grind, due to Nelson and Musashi respectively, and I might complete France and the USA if I don't slash my wrists first.

Germany is possible, but there's not a hope in hell of completing the Russian leg, not with the Schchors. And at the end you get the PET. It's definitely not worth my sanity.

However, I did get a couple of supercontainers. One had the Dunkerque and the other the Anshan, so that's two free slots and a couple of Premiums I'd never have bought.

#2343 Harold Jones

Harold Jones

Shaken but not deterred...

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8,785 posts
  • Interests:Armor, History, Fishing and Beer

Posted 20 January 2019 - 2221 PM

As far as I know the event got extended to the end of the month due to a delay in the next patch. Not that it makes the grind any more appealing. Especially because I'll have to run my collection of Japanese garbage anime ships to complete it.

#2344 RETAC21

RETAC21

A la lealtad y al valor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13,215 posts

Posted 21 January 2019 - 1506 PM

I got the PET, and if you like Bismarck you will like it, but then you can have Bismarck and have the same fun. Supercontainers netter a Dunkerque but I ma finding it meh, compared to the Jean Bart.

#2345 Harold Jones

Harold Jones

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8,785 posts

Posted 21 January 2019 - 1558 PM

I was blanked on Super Containers as far as ships went. I like my Bismarck ok, but I rarely keep researchable ships so having a premium version at T6 would be nice.  Not nice enough to spend actual money on but I'm not opposed to getting one by grinding out some credits.

#2346 DB

DB

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10,883 posts

Posted 21 January 2019 - 1823 PM

Dunkerque is OK, but being T6 gets vaporised by T8 matchmaking and the resulting HE spam. Guns seem reasonably accurate, but the calibre doesn't compensate for being uptiered, unlike say Nelson. It's a bit unfair to compare it with the T9 Jean Bart.

Some "interesting" changes planned for radar, it seems, if Notser's description is accurate it's a fairly strong buff to DDs as it reduces the use of radar spotting for other than the radar source. I think that there is a serious danger that DDs will have it a lot easier for a while if this is the case.

I think that third-party visibility should be nerfed for ships in smoke, perhaps the way that the new type storm visibility works - it doesn't hide the ships but the contrast gets so bad you can't see to aim. Tis will pull back the new gunboat japanese DDs, which make Worcester's HE spam seem tolerable.

I really like the new mobile storms and think that the cyclone should simply go away.

#2347 Harold Jones

Harold Jones

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8,785 posts

Posted 04 February 2019 - 1851 PM

So the carrier revamp has been live for a week or so. I don't know any carrier players and rarely visit the forums so have no idea how they like it.  From my perspecitive it's not much different, good carrier players clean up, poor ones do not.  I do see lots more in games than before but not sure how long lived it will be.

#2348 Colin

Colin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,549 posts
  • Interests:tanks, old and new AFV's, Landrovers, diving, hovercrafts

Posted 04 February 2019 - 1901 PM

more carriers are out, the TB are far more deadly with their 2 torps per salvo as they can lace the area with torps. The rocket planes are annoying but not deadly.

#2349 Harold Jones

Harold Jones

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8,785 posts

Posted 05 February 2019 - 0829 AM

Found this post on the forums from a guy who mainly plays DDs but ran 100 carrier games, it seems fairly accurate.  https://forum.worldofwarships.com/topic/181834-100-cv-games-since-rework-some-thoughts/  

#2350 DB

DB

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10,883 posts

Posted 05 February 2019 - 1615 PM

Hakuryu is utterly broken now. You can launch 12 torpedo stealth torpedoes and escape back to the carrier without taking any damage. iChase shows how with his "Flying Shimakaze" video.

Slightly more sophisticated is the "fire first salvo of four to force a ship to comb them from far enough away that you can wheel round and cross-drop with the next set of four", all from beyond AA range.

The most infuriating thing (generally) is the ability to recall a squadron immediately before your planes suffer enough damage to get shot down, so surface ships can do lots of AA damage for no reward. If there are no shootdowns, there is minimal squadron recycling penalty, so it becomes possible to spam with torpedo squadrons every 20-30 seconds or so.

A Hot Fix to rebalance is on its way, and it's sorely needed..

#2351 Harold Jones

Harold Jones

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8,785 posts

Posted 05 February 2019 - 1630 PM

I ran into my first Hakuryu this morning (been playing tier 7 and 6 mostly) and yes that magical disappearing planes thing is frustrating as all heck.

#2352 DB

DB

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10,883 posts

Posted 06 February 2019 - 0829 AM

I had an epic Cleveland battle tge other evening. Two brothers map, solo cap, 3 kills, 38 plane kills. 2200 base xp with only 43k damage.

The plane kills were all Shokaku, the ship kills tier X and IX. It felt like a dd battle, I thought I was going to have a heart attack.

In the end we won because the cv player dropped 2 torps too close to me to arm, which must have been his fifth straight squadron attack on me in a row. I ran out of defensive AA.

#2353 TonyE

TonyE

I/Kitsap Militia

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5,368 posts
  • Interests:Them grate steal beest! and, there history.

Posted 06 February 2019 - 2040 PM

I saw a T-22 (german tier V large torpedoboat/destroyer) with 20 plane kills a few days ago, that is excessive.....

#2354 DB

DB

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10,883 posts

Posted 07 February 2019 - 1139 AM

Simply means that he faced a noob tier 4 carrier. Probably 2.

#2355 Harold Jones

Harold Jones

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8,785 posts

Posted 14 February 2019 - 2020 PM

Seems like since the hot fix last week that carriers are back to being background nuisances for me.  They are still more common than they were before the rework but most games that have them usually only have 1 per side.  One thing I notice is that carriers seem to be nearly unkillable, mostly because they are extremely hard to spot.  I don't know if it's because destroyers no longer go looking (I know I don't bother) or because their stealth was improved or both.  Still wish they weren't in the game but they are once again bearable.  Of course in true WG style I imagine the next patch will swing the balance back the other way.

#2356 RETAC21

RETAC21

A la lealtad y al valor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13,215 posts

Posted 15 February 2019 - 1416 PM

carriers now are irrelevant. If the players goes out to make damage he may kill a ship or two but it's unlikely to turn a game. If he spots for the rest of the team he harvests a minimal reward, but may be the most valuable player

#2357 DB

DB

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10,883 posts

Posted 17 February 2019 - 0756 AM

In 0.8.0.2 you can't ignore CVs but they aren't going to wipe the floor with you completely. It's still true that if the CV player wants you dead, then you will be. The persistence of squadrons allows a second attack after any defensive triggers and for torpedoes that can be fatal.

I wonder if taking a first torpedo attack on the chin and triggering defensive AA on the second pass is worth it?

As for CVs being irrelevant, the situation you describe " he may kill a ship or two but it's unlikely to turn a game" - that's how most of the other ships work all the time ;)

#2358 Harold Jones

Harold Jones

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8,785 posts

Posted 17 February 2019 - 0907 AM

Since I tend to play US cruisers I find that carriers tend to ignore me.  When I have the option I use my fighter first and then save the AA consumable for the second attack.  If I don't have a fighter I use the AA on the first strike.  

#2359 RETAC21

RETAC21

A la lealtad y al valor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13,215 posts

Posted 17 February 2019 - 1220 PM

In 0.8.0.2 you can't ignore CVs but they aren't going to wipe the floor with you completely. It's still true that if the CV player wants you dead, then you will be. The persistence of squadrons allows a second attack after any defensive triggers and for torpedoes that can be fatal.

I wonder if taking a first torpedo attack on the chin and triggering defensive AA on the second pass is worth it?

As for CVs being irrelevant, the situation you describe " he may kill a ship or two but it's unlikely to turn a game" - that's how most of the other ships work all the time ;)

I would wager that a DD can turn a game around if properly played

#2360 Colin

Colin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,549 posts
  • Interests:tanks, old and new AFV's, Landrovers, diving, hovercrafts

Posted 17 February 2019 - 2210 PM

very true, I see more carriers now, so it seems CV players are liking the change.

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users