Photo

Just Back From My Visit To The Us Army Armor And Cavalry Collection - Fort Benning Ga

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#21 shep854

shep854

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,299 posts
  • Interests:Military History, Aviation

Posted 29 June 2019 - 1835 PM

No doubt. I drove over to Patton Park by the Infantry Museum at 8:00 in the morning to get some pictures of the vehicles there before the open house on the 22nd, and it was hot and humid enough even at that hour that my camera lens instantly fogged up upon exiting my car. :(

Coming down from the WV mountains, the climate had to have been quite a jolt.  There's a noticeable difference from Birmingham, AL, in the center of Alabama, to points south.  Even the 90 miles or so down to Montgomery gets my attention--even though I've lived my whole life down here and work outside!

Edited by shep854, 29 June 2019 - 1838 PM.

#22 sunday

sunday

Bronze-age right-wing delusional retard

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11,861 posts
  • Interests:Technology, History

Posted 29 June 2019 - 1852 PM

No doubt. I drove over to Patton Park by the Infantry Museum at 8:00 in the morning to get some pictures of the vehicles there before the open house on the 22nd, and it was hot and humid enough even at that hour that my camera lens instantly fogged up upon exiting my car. :(

Coming down from the WV mountains, the climate had to have been quite a jolt.  There's a noticeable difference from Birmingham, AL, in the center of Alabama, to points south.  Even the 90 miles or so down to Montgomery gets my attention--even though I've lived my whole life down here and work outside!

Well, our stay at Harpers Ferry during the NoVA I&I was eye opening - I got out of the A/C of the tour bus near the river, and my glasses fogged up quite quickly too. I did not think that kind of temperate and forested area could be so hot and humid. It could be that the tour bus had the A/C on overdrive, however.

#23 shep854

shep854

• Members
  • 20,299 posts
  • Interests:Military History, Aviation

Posted 29 June 2019 - 1950 PM

NOLA and the Gulf Coast should cool down a bit by the time of the I&I.

#24 DogDodger

DogDodger

Cornre durg dealing ilk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,530 posts
  • Interests:tanks, driving, hockey

Posted 29 June 2019 - 2037 PM

I'm in the southwestern portion, and we do get some heat and humidity during the summers (90+ degrees F here today, for example). It seemed like another level there, though, and I was definitely thankful for the multiple very large ceiling fans in the building, one of which can be seen in the background of this shot where I was attempting to get a picture that contrasted the high- and low-bustle Sherman turrets. :) (Also note that the turret closest to the camera was cast in Wheeling, WV.)
V0vXnTb.jpg

#25 Jim Warford

Jim Warford

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4,235 posts

Posted 29 June 2019 - 2304 PM

More pics form inside the workshop...

120mm%20Ammunition_FBGA_June%202019_1.jp

Anti-Tank%20Guns_FBGA_June%202019_1.jpg

Workshop%20FBGA_June%202019_1.jpg

#26 BansheeOne

BansheeOne

Bullshit filter overload, venting into civility charger

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14,058 posts

Posted 30 June 2019 - 0323 AM

Well, our stay at Harpers Ferry during the NoVA I&I was eye opening - I got out of the A/C of the tour bus near the river, and my glasses fogged up quite quickly too. I did not think that kind of temperate and forested area could be so hot and humid. It could be that the tour bus had the A/C on overdrive, however.

It definitely had. My soaked t-shirt felt like an ice jacket when I got back on the bus after the tour. For a couple days I felt like I might get an A/C-induced head cold like CT96 was laboring under during the I&I.

#27 Ken Estes

Ken Estes

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14,719 posts
  • Interests:USMC Tanker, Historian

Posted 30 June 2019 - 1512 PM

I'm in the southwestern portion, and we do get some heat and humidity during the summers (90+ degrees F here today, for example). It seemed like another level there, though, and I was definitely thankful for the multiple very large ceiling fans in the building, one of which can be seen in the background of this shot where I was attempting to get a picture that contrasted the high- and low-bustle Sherman turrets. :) (Also note that the turret closest to the camera was cast in Wheeling, WV.)
V0vXnTb.jpg

When that foundry at Wheeling finally closed, that was the death knell of the M-60 series tank, as it was the last facility for casting its turret. That was c.1979 in my memory.

#28 Rick

Rick

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,881 posts

Posted 30 June 2019 - 1615 PM

Would it be accurate to say there are no cast turrets, or hulls, for tanks made today? They are all welded?

Thank you from an ex-sailor. 

#29 Chris Werb

Chris Werb

In Zod We Trust

• Members
  • 24,110 posts
  • Interests:But it's got electrolytes! They're what plants crave!

Posted 30 June 2019 - 1734 PM

If it's still in production, the DPRK Songun-Ho has a cast turret. That's the only one I can think of.

#30 DKTanker

DKTanker

1strdhit

• Members
  • 25,493 posts

Posted 30 June 2019 - 1812 PM

When that foundry at Wheeling finally closed, that was the death knell of the M-60 series tank, as it was the last facility for casting its turret. That was c.1979 in my memory.

Might it be more accurate to say that the end of new M-60 production spelled the end of the Wheeling foundry?

#31 Ken Estes

Ken Estes

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14,719 posts
  • Interests:USMC Tanker, Historian

Posted 30 June 2019 - 1914 PM

Might it be more accurate to say that the end of new M-60 production spelled the end of the Wheeling foundry?

I have no way to tell at this point, but surely you recall that Chrysler had hopes of selling its "Super 60" at least on the export market. M60A3 production ceased in 1987. Maybe I am wrong about the 1979 date, and the briefing I attended may have stated that Wheeling was the last foundry still capable of casting turrets.

#32 DKTanker

DKTanker

1strdhit

• Members
  • 25,493 posts

Posted 30 June 2019 - 1950 PM

I have no way to tell at this point, but surely you recall that Chrysler had hopes of selling its "Super 60" at least on the export market. M60A3 production ceased in 1987. Maybe I am wrong about the 1979 date, and the briefing I attended may have stated that Wheeling was the last foundry still capable of casting turrets.

Only about 1500 M60A3s were new builds, the majority of them were rebuilt M60A1s.  Interestingly, in 1981 when we drew our M60A3s we had a couple of them that had blocks of steel, about 3 inches square with four bolt holes, on the left side of the cupola.  Yes, those cupolas were original to M60s, then no doubt used again at Mainz for M60A1s that had been rebuilt from M60s, and then again M60A3s that were modified from M60A1s.

So I'm thinking the Super 60s would have been rebuilt from existing M60 stocks.  Same with the M60-2000, of course that would have been an M1A1 turret sitting on a re purposed M60 hull.

#33 Chris Werb

Chris Werb

In Zod We Trust

• Members
  • 24,110 posts
  • Interests:But it's got electrolytes! They're what plants crave!

Posted 01 July 2019 - 1207 PM

Were "straight" M60s re-turreted into M60A1s then? If so there were quite a few survivors in original configuration. I remember the Israelis releasing a batch with M9 dozers about 20 years ago.

#34 Harold Jones

Harold Jones

Shaken but not deterred...

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9,028 posts
  • Interests:Armor, History, Fishing and Beer

Posted 01 July 2019 - 1427 PM

Were "straight" M60s re-turreted into M60A1s then? If so there were quite a few survivors in original configuration. I remember the Israelis releasing a batch with M9 dozers about 20 years ago.

My first tank was an M60 that was converted into an A1 while it was still at the factory, or so a General Dynamics employee* told me.  The hull data plate showed it was built in 1961, I remember because I thought it was funny that it was 3 years older than I was.  The only difference between it and the rest of the A1s in my company was that it had a round escape hatch that was held in with two plungers, the others all had an oval one with three plungers.  My escape hatch was missing a plunger so it had to be strapped in since the one in the M60a1 parts manual would not work on the round hatch.

*They were at Ft. Carson installing prototype vehicle heaters for some field testing.  My tank didn't get a fancy new heater but as part of the testing the 'control' tanks all got brand new standard heaters installed by the same employees that were installing the test models.   

#35 DKTanker

DKTanker

1strdhit

• Members
  • 25,493 posts

Posted 01 July 2019 - 1827 PM

Quite possibly, especially in Europe as it would be much cheaper to ship turrets than complete tanks.  Just no telling how many M60s were re-turreted, but Mainz Army Depot worked full time rebuilding tanks and modifying others.

#36 Jim Warford

Jim Warford

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4,235 posts

Posted 03 July 2019 - 1306 PM

Workshop Panther cut-away:

Panther%20Glacis_FBGA_June2019_1.jpg

Panther%20Turret%20Front_FBGA_June2019_1

#37 Jim Warford

Jim Warford

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4,235 posts

Posted 05 July 2019 - 2356 PM

Unfortunately, very limited resources are keeping many vehicles in the collection at Fort Benning out in the weather and it's taking a toll...

MBT-70%20PIG_FBGA_June2019_1.jpg

T-72s_FBGA_June2019_1.jpg

Type%2059%20Enigma_FBGA_June2019_1_1.jpg

#38 nitflegal

nitflegal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4,764 posts
  • Interests:Armor, martial arts

Posted 06 July 2019 - 0754 AM

Unfortunately, very limited resources are keeping many vehicles in the collection at Fort Benning out in the weather and it's taking a toll...

MBT-70%20PIG_FBGA_June2019_1.jpg

T-72s_FBGA_June2019_1.jpg

Type%2059%20Enigma_FBGA_June2019_1_1.jpg

Wow, that MBT-70 hurts, I remember crawling all over and in it at the LST shed at Fort Knox.  Aside from a lot of dust and apparently every large spider in KY it was in lovely shape.

#39 Tim the Tank Nut

Tim the Tank Nut

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5,752 posts
  • Interests:WW2 Armor (mostly US)

Posted 06 July 2019 - 0843 AM

they do a remarkable job of...

#40 Harold Jones

Harold Jones

Shaken but not deterred...

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9,028 posts
  • Interests:Armor, History, Fishing and Beer

Posted 06 July 2019 - 1556 PM

Not enough votes for congress to care and no base commander wants to see headlines like "Millions spent on maintaining museum while soldiers are neglected."  Or at least that's more or less how one curator I spoke to described the funding situation.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users