Photo

Windows 8 - Microsoft Does It Again (Groan)

• Please log in to reply
134 replies to this topic

#121 Rickard N

Rickard N

Swedish ilk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,350 posts
  • Interests:photography, ice hockey, motorcycling

Posted 28 April 2013 - 0436 AM

I've been using win8 for about a week now I haven't seen any big troubles.

Since I've got lync on autostart for company comunication I always end up in the desktop version, other than that it's just to click on the big desktop icon on the start screen.

I've found that some programs don't get linked to the start screen, solved these one or two programs by sticking them to the list, like I did in win 7 with the most used programs.

It's bloody quick, from desktop to desktop via a reboot in 20s! I remember my first PC computer that took som good 5 minutes just for the mem check :)

I haven't quite figured out the virtual desktop yet, in that department windows is surely well beaten by any unix, can't be that hard to fix methink.

Ohh, and for the shutdown, I do as I always done, alt-f4 :D

/R

Edited by Rickard N, 28 April 2013 - 0437 AM.

#122 Simon Tan

Simon Tan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,314 posts
  • Interests:tanks. More tanks. Guns. BIG GUNs!

Posted 28 April 2013 - 0610 AM

So you haven't found it......

#123 Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe

purposeful grimace

• Members
  • 31,996 posts
  • Interests:military technology, military history, weapon systems, management/organizational design, early American history

Posted 28 April 2013 - 0734 AM

Yahoo posted a video that says that in 8.1 Microsoft will bring back the start button, and allow you to boot directly to desktop since businesses are not buying Windows 8 and its stupid mobile phone interface. 

That's good news, if true. I read a recent article that asserted that MS was sticking with Metro come hell or high water. The same article talked about the major drop in seasonal sales year-over-year for new hardware. I saw another article which trumpeted Microsoft's strong sales numbers over the holidays, but my understanding is that the $ came from a big flurry of Win7 license purchases rather than Win8. The hypothesis is that XP laggards were snapping up Win7 upgrades whilst still available.

I can't help but think that some of the lost HW revenue is due to Android appliance sales, but it also seems to me that major Microsoft releases are simply not driving HW upgrades any more. Win7 and Win8 don't require more CPU or RAM than Vista (less, probably), and AFAIK Office 2010 and 2013 likewise don't require more muscle than 2007.

#124 Murph

Murph

Hierophant Lord

• Members
  • 18,533 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 1754 PM

Maximum PC says that Windows 8 is hurting Microsoft, and that almost no one uses their MEtro apps.  http://www.maximumpc...ction_rating999

http://www.maximumpc..._metro_apps2013 

#125 Rickard N

Rickard N

Swedish ilk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,350 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 0035 AM

I don't know where it is in any windows OS since.... 98? :)

/R

#126 Fritz

Fritz

Master of Panzer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7,598 posts
  • Interests:WW2, armoured combat history, 3D CGI, motorsports

Posted 08 June 2013 - 2020 PM

Oh look! Surface Pro sold out within hours of release!!

Then you go on ebay and find a ton still unopened, obviously all bought to be sold with $200-300 profit. Sadly there are enough suckers who will pay the premium for whatever reason.

And like I expected, several months later you can find it on ebay $150+ cheaper than the MS store. But now it's June and rumors for 2.0 are getting more and more solid. I will likely wait. Though I might get something like an Iconia W3 in the meantime.

#127 Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe

purposeful grimace

• Members
  • 31,996 posts
  • Interests:military technology, military history, weapon systems, management/organizational design, early American history

Posted 08 June 2013 - 2039 PM

I don't know where it is in any windows OS since.... 98? :)

Traitor! Apostate! Infidel! How dare you not tithe to the Holy City in Redmond?!?

#128 Murph

Murph

Hierophant Lord

• Members
  • 18,533 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 1843 PM

Well the Start button is back, but it takes you to the never sufficiently damned Metro Crap UI. 

#129 Rickard N

Rickard N

Swedish ilk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,350 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 0202 AM

I have one issue I have yet to resolve. Has anyone else had problems with custom background pictures not keeping the format? I want to have my background in "fit" mode so the ratios are kept but windows 8 keeps changing it to "stretch" each time I log on. I don't know if it has to do with that I'm using several monitors on my laptop in a dock but it's a bit annoying seing my bike with oval wheels :)

/R

#130 Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe

purposeful grimace

• Members
  • 31,996 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 2051 PM

There are fairly persistent rumors that Windows 9 is planned for release in late 2014, and will be a cheapie upgrade to Win8. The only rumored change that sounds believable is that Win9 will boot directly to the desktop. But that's not even remotely enough to justify a new product number and whole new marketing campaign. I just wish they would fix IE10, it has really gotten bad.

#131 Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe

purposeful grimace

• Members
  • 31,996 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 2056 PM

I have one issue I have yet to resolve. Has anyone else had problems with custom background pictures not keeping the format? I want to have my background in "fit" mode so the ratios are kept but windows 8 keeps changing it to "stretch" each time I log on. I don't know if it has to do with that I'm using several monitors on my laptop in a dock but it's a bit annoying seing my bike with oval wheels :)

/R

Edited by Ivanhoe, 14 June 2013 - 2057 PM.

#132 m1a1mg

m1a1mg

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6,803 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 2130 PM

/R

I have no clue, check here: http://www.eightforums.com/

#133 m1a1mg

m1a1mg

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6,803 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 2112 PM

Without comment:

http://windows.micro...ndows-8/preview

#134 Murph

Murph

Hierophant Lord

• Members
  • 18,533 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 0653 AM

Yeah the "New" start button takes you back to the [email protected] mobile phone b*llsh*t.  No boot to desktop, so no Windows 8 for me.  Looks like the new laptop will be formatted and loaded with PC-BSD instead of Windows metro crap. 

#135 m1a1mg

m1a1mg

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6,803 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 0738 AM

Yeah the "New" start button takes you back to the [email protected] mobile phone b*llsh*t.  No boot to desktop, so no Windows 8 for me.  Looks like the new laptop will be formatted and loaded with PC-BSD instead of Windows metro crap. 

Once again, Classic Shell will let you start to desktop. And it's free.  ;)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users