32 replies to this topic

#21 Harold Jones

Harold Jones

Shaken but not deterred...

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4,414 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 0948 AM

Something a buddy came up with when we used to hold down the night shift in the 81st Brigade Clearing Station, back in the 80's:

1 can corned beef
1 can sauerkraut
Wasabi mustard to taste

Heat the whole mess in a mess kit over one of those tin stoves in a GP Medium tent- serve with canteen water or coffee, depending on what's available. Good with MRE or C-Ration crackers, too. Sounds weird, but really tasty, especially at about 0200 with the Yakima wind howling outside.

Another good use for corned beef is the Reuben sandwich, probably my favourite way to enjoy it. The sandwich works equally well with pastrami, but the rye bread, sauerkraut, swiss cheese, and thousand island dressing are not negotiable. Pan-fried with butter, until the cheese is nice and melty.

I skip the thousand island cause it's too sweet and gloppy for me. If I make them at home I sub in some good hot mustard, if I order one I just order the dressing on the side.

#22 Dame Karmen

Dame Karmen

Velkomin heim Tankur-netters

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5,998 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 2024 PM

There are a lot of great stories and recipes in this thread, especially the stories! ;)

#23 DougRichards

DougRichards

Doug Richards

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10,236 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 0755 AM

Earlier tonight I spotted, on the label of a can of corned beef, or should I say for all those Union Jack imperial types a 'tin' of corned beef: a recipe of corned beef quiche.

Seeing that real men don't eat quiche, I am not sure what market they are aiming this at!

#24 Murph

Murph

Hierophant Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,087 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 0859 AM

Corned Beef hash over fried potatoes, with a side of grits, the ultimate breakfast food.

#25 Harold Jones

Harold Jones

Shaken but not deterred...

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4,414 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 1015 AM

Earlier tonight I spotted, on the label of a can of corned beef, or should I say for all those Union Jack imperial types a 'tin' of corned beef: a recipe of corned beef quiche.

Seeing that real men don't eat quiche, I am not sure what market they are aiming this at!

Lesbians?

#26 Murph

Murph

Hierophant Lord

• Members
  • 19,087 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 0843 AM

Don't know, but perhaps they are attempting to make a foo-foo food item into a more "manly" dish for real men? Had a superb Rueben here: Manny Hattens The only problem is you have to drive to stinking Austin to get to it.

#27 Paul G.

Paul G.

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8,696 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 1204 PM

Interesting that my wife never heard of corned beef until she came over to the States.

In Ireland her family had bacon and cabbage. Which was simmilar to the CB and just as tasty!

#28 Corinthian

Corinthian

Stone Age Bitter Delusional Retard

• Members
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 1724 PM

I cooked 3 cans of corned beef in a pot for breakfast on the second day of my recent Corregidor trek:

Posted Image

Nothing fancy. Just fried chips over some corned beef cooked with garlic and some onions.

#29 Jim Martin

Jim Martin

Kick me! I'm not allowed to hit back!

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4,594 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 0454 AM

Next time try making Skillygallee. Popular Civil War meal:

http://historybuffet...food-civil-war/

Skillygallee was a hot meal that could be prepared quickly by frying salt pork and crumbling dry hardtack biscuits into the mixture. Alternatively, the hardtack would be soaked in water to soften it, first, and then fried in the fat that came from cooking salt pork or bacon.

#30 DKTanker

DKTanker

1strdhit

• Members
  • 25,777 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 1532 PM

I cooked 3 cans of corned beef in a pot for breakfast on the second day of my recent Corregidor trek:

Posted Image

Nothing fancy. Just fried chips over some corned beef cooked with garlic and some onions.

Do you mean to tell me that with 90 years of your country being occupied, beholden, or otherwise subservient to the USA, you couldn't figure what to call fried potatoes other than chips? Posted Image

Edit to add, you probably have a problem with vowels as well. Posted Image

Edited by DKTanker, 21 October 2010 - 1533 PM.

#31 Corinthian

Corinthian

Stone Age Bitter Delusional Retard

• Members
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 2029 PM

Do you mean to tell me that with 90 years of your country being occupied, beholden, or otherwise subservient to the USA, you couldn't figure what to call fried potatoes other than chips? Posted Image

Edit to add, you probably have a problem with vowels as well. Posted Image

I am Anglophile, after all. :P

#32 Jim Martin

Jim Martin

Kick me! I'm not allowed to hit back!

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4,594 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 1115 AM

Sick as a dog with Bronchitis the last few days. Pantry is growing empty and I'm too sick/exhausted to go shopping. I pull out my last can of corned beef hash and made up a concoction that isn't half bad.

Nuke half a can of corned beef hash. Tear up a couple of slices of American Cheese and mash it up into the hot hash so the cheese all melts into it. Add some mustard and mash that up in there as well. Not too bad at all.

But I do need to pick up some Tobasco next time I go shopping.

#33 Mike Steele

Mike Steele

Boobies!

• Members
  • 15,746 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 1116 AM

I am Anglophile, after all. :P

You do and you'll clean it up! ;)