Posted 05 December 2018 - 1817 PM

From all I've heard, seems to be a solid rifle:

https://www.thefirea...opts-lmt-rifle/

#2 Simon Tan

Simon Tan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,701 posts
  • Interests:tanks. More tanks. Guns. BIG GUNs!

Posted 05 December 2018 - 2047 PM

Other than the pricetag and the shackling of replacement parts. ARs are commodity products at this juncture. LMT's barrel change and monolithic upper something from 10 years ago. It's not a bad system, it's just expensive to produce. They mill the upper from a proprietary forging. A handguard is usually extruded so you don't need the deep drilling and to machine out the internal volume. Forged uppers can be had for 50 bucks. Ambi lowers are nice to have but you wind up with proprietary small parts and you will train like a M16 anyway. You can get more guns or more parts or have money for more optics for what you spend on a gun that is 5% better. LMT has a hardworking UK/Europe rep.

Edited by Simon Tan, 05 December 2018 - 2048 PM.

#3 Dawes

Dawes

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,289 posts

Posted 05 December 2018 - 2141 PM

New Zealand seems to be liking theirs, once they got past the firing pin issues and cracked bolt carriers.

http://army.mil.nz/d...one-year-on.pdf

#4 Zero_Alpha

Zero_Alpha

Crunchie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 12 December 2018 - 1408 PM

New Zealand seems to be liking theirs, once they got past the firing pin issues and cracked bolt carriers.

The firing pin issue was over-blown. As part of the QA process NZ committee to 100% inspections. 7 (that's right, 7, not 7%& of the 9,800 weapons had firing pin issues. 9,800 pins replaced under warranty. 

In terms of spare parts, I've seen what was being paid for SteyrIW spares. A new Steyr receiver was costing nearly as much as an entire LMT MARS-L.

#5 Simon Tan

Simon Tan

• Members
  • 22,701 posts

Posted 12 December 2018 - 2013 PM

It shouldn't.

#6 GPMG

GPMG

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 12 December 2018 - 2213 PM

The firing pin issue was over-blown. As part of the QA process NZ committee to 100% inspections. 7 (that's right, 7, not 7%& of the 9,800 weapons had firing pin issues. 9,800 pins replaced under warranty. 

In terms of spare parts, I've seen what was being paid for SteyrIW spares. A new Steyr receiver was costing nearly as much as an entire LMT MARS-L.

Sounds like a good enough reason to bin the Steyr.

#7 Simon Tan

Simon Tan

• Members
  • 22,701 posts

Posted 12 December 2018 - 2301 PM

Are those Steyr or Lithgow AUGs? A quick check at Brownells tells me that an all up F90 is 2K and a MARS-L is 2645. All up AUGA3 from Steyr is 1839. Maybe your procurement is FUBAR?

Edited by Simon Tan, 12 December 2018 - 2307 PM.

#8 GPMG

GPMG

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 12 December 2018 - 2336 PM

I presume its Australian AUGs. Except for a few early Austrian AUGs which may have been only Carbines, which had a reputation of being more reliable than the Australian version, all New Zealand AUGs were Australian made.
Possibly the price is the result of having only one supplier, so no competition.

Edited by GPMG, 12 December 2018 - 2338 PM.

#9 Simon Tan

Simon Tan

• Members
  • 22,701 posts

Posted 12 December 2018 - 2337 PM

A bit of that ANZAC brotherly love. 

#10 Zero_Alpha

Zero_Alpha

Crunchie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 13 December 2018 - 0436 AM

Are those Steyr or Lithgow AUGs? A quick check at Brownells tells me that an all up F90 is 2K and a MARS-L is 2645. All up AUGA3 from Steyr is 1839. Maybe your procurement is FUBAR?

You're conflating issues :D

-The NZ Steyrs are all Australian F88s. The supply chain was winding down with Thales moving to the enchanted Aus Steyr.

- The prices you've quoted are many orders of magnitude higher than unit costs military clients pay

- Procurement is fubar  :D

Edited by Zero_Alpha, 13 December 2018 - 1306 PM.

#11 Simon Tan

Simon Tan

• Members
  • 22,701 posts

Posted 13 December 2018 - 0606 AM

Steyr AUG A1 receivers are pretty cheap castings. The big ticket item is that optic. The original Swaro straw was good but I've seen both Japanese and Chinese glass used in lieu with poor results. I could not believe how nasty the AUG was when you break it down. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users