• Please log in to reply
546 replies to this topic

#541 Skywalkre

Skywalkre

Garry F!@#$%g Owen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8,790 posts
  • Interests:military history, psychology, gaming (computer, board, simulation, console), sci-fi

Posted 31 July 2019 - 0927 AM

CA plates are one thing, just don't have Lakers stickers or you're guaranteed to be pulled over.

Eww... the NBA.  /shudders

Yeah, I remember being surprised last year how fast most folks were going.  I was a bit hesitant because here in AZ highway patrol is bloody everywhere and I simply didn't know the roads or where a good hiding spot would be for them.

I'm definitely not looking forward to the traffic again once you hit Provo on up.  I feel bad for everyone up there.  My friend was saying something like 90% of the state population lives in that stretch of urban sprawl against a mountain chain with all of ONE freeway connecting everyone.  Last year I left at 5 in the morning and traffic was still congested til south of Provo.  :blink:

I understand there was no way to know the area would grow like it has but from what my friend was saying there really aren't any good solutions.  Going to be really painful to get around up there in 10-20 years.

Edited by Skywalkre, 31 July 2019 - 0937 AM.

#542 GregShaw

GregShaw

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,104 posts
  • Interests:snowmobiles, guns, computers

Posted 31 July 2019 - 2003 PM

IIRC everything from about Nephi south is 85 mph speed limit, and a lot of people are cruising closer to 100 mph most of the time. I've set cruise to 90 mph and stay in the left lane as too many people passing me at that speed.

Your friend is correct, majority of the population is in the 60 mile corridor between Provo and Ogden, bounded on the East by Wasatch mountains and the West by Great Salt Lake, Utah Lake and another small mountain range. The corridor probably averages about 10 miles in width with somewhere around 2.5 million people. It is bottlenecked in a number of places, the stretch from Provo north past point of the mountain is probably the worst, there really are no alternate routes available. Salt lake to the north is a bit better, but the gap between mountains and lake is probably < 2 miles at Farmington, you have US 89 (2 lanes) right along the foothills, I 15 (6 lanes) < 1/2 mile to the west, Legacy hwy (4 lanes) another 1/8 mile west and Farmington bay maybe another 1/4 - 1/2 mile west.

Its much more difficult to get around than it was when I started driving, and will only get worse. Fortunately most new growth is in Utah county, which I avoid like the plague and only drive through through to get somewhere far away from Provo. Davis and Weber counties are really running out of open land for more population. 

BTW, where in the valley are you going to be visiting/staying?

#543 Skywalkre

Skywalkre

Garry F!@#$%g Owen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8,790 posts
  • Interests:military history, psychology, gaming (computer, board, simulation, console), sci-fi

Posted 02 August 2019 - 1534 PM

According to google it's Sandy.  He's right off the 15 there by a Costco and some massive sporting goods store.

#544 Murph

Murph

Hierophant Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,465 posts

Posted 05 August 2019 - 0520 AM

We run to the sound of guns:  https://www.breitbar...ke-out-shooter/

#545 Jeff

Jeff

Godfather of Tanknet Birthday Greetings

• Members
  • 28,905 posts

Posted 05 August 2019 - 0557 AM

A little different than the Parkland response.

#546 Murph

Murph

Hierophant Lord

• Members
  • 18,465 posts

Posted 05 August 2019 - 0558 AM

A little different that the Parkland response.

Very much so.

#547 Murph

Murph

Hierophant Lord

• Members
  • 18,465 posts

Posted 15 August 2019 - 0751 AM

Police suicides are on a rapid increase:  https://www.city-jou...police-suicides

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users