Jump to content


Photo

Fixing The Uk's Type 45's


  • Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#61 Yama

Yama

    The only honest Scorpion

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 6,724 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Yogo Shiro

Posted 19 July 2018 - 0414 AM

The issue arises only when they're in hot places, like the Gulf. The spec to which they were tested almost certainly derives from a requirement that did not include extended deployment in equatorial areas.

 

This is what was said earlier, but contradicted later. The problems have surfaced in North Atlatic as well, and if you think about it, it would be preposterous to order major RN warship which can't deploy in Middle East.


  • 0

#62 Anixtu

Anixtu

    Member

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,022 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Afloat

Posted 19 July 2018 - 0544 AM


The issue arises only when they're in hot places, like the Gulf. The spec to which they were tested almost certainly derives from a requirement that did not include extended deployment in equatorial areas.

 
This is what was said earlier, but contradicted later. The problems have surfaced in North Atlatic as well, and if you think about it, it would be preposterous to order major RN warship which can't deploy in Middle East.

Preposterous perhaps, but entirely plausible. Specification could be to operate at full performance in 95% of the world's seas and oceans. It's just that we happen to fight mostly in the remaining 5% with the most extreme climatic conditions, e.g. Persian Gulf and Red Sea. Bay class LSDs had to receive a "tropicalisation package" to improve performance and habitability in the Gulf.
  • 0

#63 Yama

Yama

    The only honest Scorpion

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 6,724 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Yogo Shiro

Posted 19 July 2018 - 0719 AM

Well yes, just because something is stupid doesn't mean it won't be done, see Zumwalt gun issues, or Spain's new submarine, a story perhaps even more hilarious than T45. Anyhow, MoD has denied that Darings were not designed to operate in the Gulf.


  • 0

#64 DB

DB

    Crew

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 10,179 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Hertfordshire, England

Posted 21 July 2018 - 0756 AM

Speaking of Zumwalt... It seems that the newest boat's MT-30 has been damaged. https://www.popularm...monsoor-engine/

Could be anythung, but blade damage during trials might suggest manufacturing/installation FOD, or of course a manufacturing fault.
  • 0

#65 Chris Werb

Chris Werb

    In Zod We Trust

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,485 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Orkney, Scotland, UK
  • Interests:But it's got electrolytes! They're what plants crave!

Posted 22 July 2018 - 0823 AM

 

The issue arises only when they're in hot places, like the Gulf. The spec to which they were tested almost certainly derives from a requirement that did not include extended deployment in equatorial areas.

 

This is what was said earlier, but contradicted later. The problems have surfaced in North Atlatic as well, 

 

They clearly failed to anticipate Global Warming :)


  • 0

#66 Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe

    Now is the winter of our discontent

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,915 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:deep in the heart of ... darkness, USA
  • Interests:military technology, military history, weapon systems, management/organizational design, early American history

Posted 22 July 2018 - 0900 AM

Global warming, northern Europeans sailing into temperate/equatorial regions in fast, nimble warships; a resurgence of Vikings?


  • 0




1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users