#521 sunday

sunday

Bronze-age right-wing delusional retard

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11,705 posts
  • Interests:Technology, History

Posted 18 July 2019 - 1537 PM

My God, a whole new psychothriller would-be interpretation, when all looked like peace in our time for awhile.

Where to begin? Gag a maggot, you guys take over. Ju 288A invincibles, egad.

Wunderwaffe at its best, Ken, and from a German as a bonus!

Don't you feel motivated now to write another book about them? :D

I think Steve Stirling had one of the most original approaches to an alternate WWII in the German side - start by shooting Ferdinand Porsche.

#522 urbanoid

urbanoid

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5,340 posts

Posted Yesterday, 01:44 AM

My God, a whole new psychothriller would-be interpretation, when all looked like peace in our time for awhile.

I think Steve Stirling had one of the most original approaches to an alternate WWII in the German side - start by shooting Ferdinand Porsche.

In some book? If yes, which one?

#523 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

Just Another Salisbury Tourist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 52,664 posts

Posted Yesterday, 01:57 AM

Shooting Udet a decade earlier wouldnt have done any harm either.

#524 Ken Estes

Ken Estes

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14,686 posts
  • Interests:USMC Tanker, Historian

Posted Yesterday, 10:47 AM

Is that because you believe he interfered with strategic bomber development, Stuart? 

James Corum in his The Luftwaffe: Creating the Operational Air War, 1918-1940 (1997)  demolished the myth that the Germans dismissed the potential of strategic bombing, had a place in its doctrine for the same, but building the force was a different matter. 

#525 Nobu

Nobu

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,461 posts

Posted Yesterday, 11:05 AM

The resources required for the pursuit of the Luftwaffe's strategic bombing potential would have made it expensive.

With Britain as its target in the summer of 1940, it would have also been interesting.

#526 Rich

Rich

intellectual bully ilk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4,374 posts
  • Interests:WW II, Current Defense Issues, Military History in General

Posted Yesterday, 05:46 PM

Is that because you believe he interfered with strategic bomber development, Stuart? 

James Corum in his The Luftwaffe: Creating the Operational Air War, 1918-1940 (1997)  demolished the myth that the Germans dismissed the potential of strategic bombing, had a place in its doctrine for the same, but building the force was a different matter. 

Yeah, its one of those wonderfully misinterpreted things that gets twisted on a daily basis by the alt-history fantasy crowd. Depending on the way they decide to set their sails on any given day it either means:

1. The Germans were stoopid because they couldn't do strategic bomming or

2. The Germans would have done the bestest strategic boming ever if they just built the Ju-STRATCOM and nobudy could have stopped them.

The most amusing of that crowd are those that end up arguing both of the above simultaneously.

#527 sunday

sunday

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11,705 posts

Posted Yesterday, 06:20 PM

I think it was "The Chosen", but I am not sure.

#528 Brian Kennedy

Brian Kennedy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5,207 posts

Posted Yesterday, 08:08 PM

Oh god dont make me read the Draka books again.

#529 sunday

sunday

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11,705 posts

Posted Yesterday, 08:49 PM

Not Draka, General.

#530 urbanoid

urbanoid

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5,340 posts

Posted Today, 02:08 AM

Not Draka, General.

That's too bad, I enjoyed Draka series. Might try General.

Edited by urbanoid, Today, 02:09 AM.

#531 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 52,664 posts

Posted Today, 02:11 AM

Well its so difficult to know. Ive read half a dozen different stories that Hitler interfered with the ME262 development, only to discover its absolutely not true. Did Udet not interfere with the development of the JU88 to make it a divebomber, because I still here very learned historians such as James Holland still repeating it as truth. Ditto the HE177 for that matter.

#532 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 52,664 posts

Posted Today, 02:15 AM

Yeah, its one of those wonderfully misinterpreted things that gets twisted on a daily basis by the alt-history fantasy crowd. Depending on the way they decide to set their sails on any given day it either means:

1. The Germans were stoopid because they couldn't do strategic bomming or

2. The Germans would have done the bestest strategic boming ever if they just built the Ju-STRATCOM and nobudy could have stopped them.

The most amusing of that crowd are those that end up arguing both of the above simultaneously.

They could certainly do strategic bombing, walking around Coventry as a child successfully impressed that on me.

Did they lack the tools to do it effectively? Well yes. An RAF 4 engine bomber raid of 500 aircraft had significantly more destructive effects than a Luftwaffe one, which was primarily made up of tactical bombers till the end. And right there is where they failed. They had the doctrine just fine, they didnt have the airframes to carry the tonnage to make it work.

They also didnt build enough of them to keep going. A loss rate of 2.8 percent would have decimated the Luftwaffe in short order. Bomber command lost the equivalent of its entire front line strength on the Battle of Berlin, and kept going. It lost a lot of skilled personnel, but it kept going.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users