dSqDoR9.jpg

#22 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

Just Another Salisbury Tourist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,361 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 1039 AM

I can remember Jimmy Stewart on a Chat show in the 1980s. And that remarkable guy, whom did something like 20 missions in a B24 over Germany (and one in a B52 over Vietnam), was brought to tears because his dog had just died. Kinda says something.

Edited by Stuart Galbraith, 08 December 2017 - 1042 AM.

#23 Murph

Murph

Hierophant Lord

• Members
  • 18,471 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 1453 PM

20 Official, word is he did 25 more that were not credited.  I really am attached to the dogs.  They only ask for food, water, a warm blanket and a snuggle.  

I can remember Jimmy Stewart on a Chat show in the 1980s. And that remarkable guy, whom did something like 20 missions in a B24 over Germany (and one in a B52 over Vietnam), was brought to tears because his dog had just died. Kinda says something.

#24 Rick

Rick

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,881 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 1915 PM

20 Official, word is he did 25 more that were not credited.  I really am attached to the dogs.  They only ask for food, water, a warm blanket and a snuggle.  

Well, in his prime, my miniature dachshund  thought my purpose in life was to throw a racquetball. Repeatedly.

#25 Murph

Murph

Hierophant Lord

• Members
  • 18,471 posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 0849 AM

II have the little one on the chair with me, and the Golden is asleep on the sofa.  They got their "dog cookies" this morning for being goof girls and going outside to take care of business.  Now they are asleep after a hard night of sleeping.

#26 Murph

Murph

Hierophant Lord

• Members
  • 18,471 posts

Posted 21 December 2017 - 0710 AM

The only down side of a long hair gold retriever is the shedding.  I don't see how the dog has any hair left!  

#27 LT Ducky

LT Ducky

Increasiing my carbon footprint while destroying the environment

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5,725 posts
  • Interests:flying and aircraft, general military, society

Posted 21 December 2017 - 1920 PM

I still can't figure out why there is a pile of dog hair under my couch, the dog is too big to fit under there.....

#28 EvanDP

EvanDP

Deus Ex Nukina

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,391 posts
  • Interests:SciFi, firearms, Military history, computers, redheads

Posted 22 December 2017 - 1147 AM

With all the hair we trap in the vacuum I could make another dog every few weeks.

#29 Murph

Murph

Hierophant Lord

• Members
  • 18,471 posts

Posted 02 January 2018 - 0708 AM

No kidding, I don''t know how the dog has any hair left!  I brush her, and brush her, and we still find "tribbles" all over the house.

With all the hair we trap in the vacuum I could make another dog every few weeks.

#30 DougRichards

DougRichards

Doug Richards

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10,080 posts
  • Interests:Degree in History and Politics. Interests are Military History, military models,

Posted 05 February 2018 - 0317 AM

I have never been a full time carer for a dog, circumstances have not allowed it, but dogs seem to like me.

I walk a neighbour's dog, a King Charles/something bigger cross.  A cheeky bugger that goes by the unlikely name of, well, Charlie.

Charlie has lived for years with a cat - a somewhat strange ginger female - nearly all ginger cats are male.Named Honey

But just over a year ago a new katten moved in, a black and white male tom, named, once again unlikely, Thomas.  Thomas and Charlie are great mates, play fighting and having much fun together.

Here is the hook though: the critters' 'mum' has found Charlie the dog to be chewing satchets and the small trays of pet food when she wakes up or gets home.  They were stored where the dog could not get to them, but Thomas the cat could: the two of them worked out that Thomas should get them from storage and Charlie the cat chew them open for them both.

They have us well trained.........

#31 MiloMorai

MiloMorai

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,751 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 1004 AM

Family dog saves toddler from deadly snake

https://www.certapet.com/doberman/

#32 Mr King

Mr King

Fat Body

• Members
  • 19,248 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 1033 AM

This weekend I went to a fund raiser for a bulldog rescue at a craft brewery in St Louis with some friends. Great beer, great food, wonderful puppies. The one in the picture was an 18 month old female that every male bulldog in the building was trying to get to. She was quite popular., 

efu2Gol.jpg

#33 NickM

NickM

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4,137 posts
  • Interests:Military history, computer sims, my daughter

Posted 05 February 2018 - 1325 PM

Family dog saves toddler from deadly snake

https://www.certapet.com/doberman/

Australia: Even the plankton are man eaters!

#34 DougRichards

DougRichards

Doug Richards

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10,080 posts
  • Interests:Degree in History and Politics. Interests are Military History, military models,

Posted 10 March 2018 - 0602 AM

http://www.abc.net.a...ogether/9535360

May God bless these two creatures and unite them with their owner.

An old man dies. Alone except for his two old dogs, Indigo and Blue.

They stayed by his side for weeks until his body is found.

It's the sort of tragic story that makes people wonder how it could happen, and often ends sadly for all involved — including the faithful pets.

That was the scenario faced by Tasmania Police when they entered a property in the north of the state to check on the welfare of the occupant.

While nothing could be done for the elderly owner, the police called the local dog catcher, Des, who "has a way with animals" according to Emma Haswell, the founder of Brightside Farm Sanctuary.

Des called Ms Haswell, who had already heard about the dogs.

"The owner had died, and no-one knew, and he had been dead for two weeks when the police found him," she said.

"His two dear old dogs protected him and wouldn't let the police go near him, they were guarding their owner.

"It would have been very stressful for the dogs and very difficult for them when the police came in and they didn't know what was going on. They were very, very protective. Apparently the police weren't game to go near them.

"Nobody from the family could or would take them, so their future was looking pretty grim, so I said I would [find them a new home]."

The two old dogs are believed to be 10 and 12 years old, and Ms Haswell said it was likely they would have been euthanased.

"I was amazed. They were the most beautiful dogs. They were adored. You just want to squeeze them," she said.

"They are mother and daughter, so the [red] heeler is the mother, and the kelpie-cross is the daughter.

"When I took them to their new home, I took them out into the garden to explore and it was just gorgeous. The daughter kept looking back and checking on the mother as they wandered around — they're really bonded.

"They're well cared for and in good health."

New life for old dogs

It's not always easy to find the right home for older dogs. They often have complicated and expensive medical problems.

A friend of Ms Haswell's was sceptical when she said she was going to find them beautiful homes.

"And I rang her about five hours later and said 'Guess what? they've got the best home!' and it's with an incredibly good vet who does mainstream vet work, but also does acupuncture and all those things," Ms Haswell said.

"She took another old dog from me once before … a 10-year-old shepherd that had been left out the back of a fish and chip shop and had been in a terrible state of ill health — he could hardly walk.

"And he looked and behaved like a five-year-old dog by the time she had finished with him."

Ms Haswell said it was a good story among those of the swathes of abandoned and unwanted animals that people want her to take each week.

"Just pages of animal surrenders for the past six weeks — it's just insane. Every day getting numerous calls about dogs, heaps of rabbits, guinea pigs — it's very difficult when you can't say yes to them all," she said.

"It's nice when you can just pluck some animals out of something awful and just transfer them straight into paradise, it's just a really good feeling."

#35 Rick

Rick

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,881 posts

Posted 10 March 2018 - 0630 AM

Always got a chuckle out of the saying "Dogs are a man's best friend." Which leads to my next conclusion women are not a man's best friend.

#36 DougRichards

DougRichards

Doug Richards

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10,080 posts

Posted 10 March 2018 - 0722 AM

Always got a chuckle out of the saying "Dogs are a man's best friend." Which leads to my next conclusion women are not a man's best friend.

Women are never a man's best friend:

#37 BillB

BillB

Scooter Trash Gunphobic, apparently

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12,214 posts
  • Interests:most things military, military modelling, Vespa motor scooters, Staffordshire Bull Terriers

Posted 10 March 2018 - 1304 PM

Can't live with them, can't bury them under the patio...  :)

Cheers for putting up the story about the old dogs Doug, quite heartwarming bless them.

BillB    

#38 DougRichards

DougRichards

Doug Richards

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10,080 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 0545 AM

Can't live with them, can't bury them under the patio...  :)

Cheers for putting up the story about the old dogs Doug, quite heartwarming bless them.

BillB    

By the way, a photo that was missed:

9534884-3x2-700x467.jpg

The book of Isaiah mentions lions and lambs, and children with snakes: I know of a student minister who wrote an essay on the place of animals in the kingdom of heaven.  Surely the expressions on these two is an affirmation of that.

#39 Murph

Murph

Hierophant Lord

• Members
  • 18,471 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 0619 AM

Mine are really looking old, and they sleep a lot more now.  I know how they feel after this last birthday.  

#40 Murph

Murph

Hierophant Lord

• Members
  • 18,471 posts

Posted 23 April 2018 - 0601 AM

And more on why we love them: https://pjmedia.com/...ustralian-bush/   A partially blind, totally deaf 17 year old heeler stayed with and protected a 3 year old who wandered off into the Australian bush.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users