• Please log in to reply
1151 replies to this topic

#1141 shep854

shep854

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,507 posts

Posted 26 November 2019 - 2012 PM

It would be fun to see Harriers around the boat.

#1142 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

Just Another Salisbury Tourist

• Members
  • 55,583 posts

Posted 27 November 2019 - 0210 AM

Its fortunate that so many allies seem to be stepping up with analogues of the Queen Elizabeth, even South Korea is considering one.

It may also be a CATOBAR design. Whether London would sell one to Korea is anyone's guess, but I don't see any actual political or economic barriers to it doing so.

The idea is not that we will sell them a completed vessel, only the design and oversight work. I think the ability to build any more has already been lost, though it might be reactivated at the right price. I think like us the South Koreans would want to do that themselves.

#1143 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 55,583 posts

Posted 27 November 2019 - 0810 AM

EKXjnCTWoAAYovx.jpg

https://twitter.com/HMSQnlz

#1144 Nobu

Nobu

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,199 posts

Posted 29 November 2019 - 1045 AM

Its fortunate that so many allies seem to be stepping up with analogues of the Queen Elizabeth, even South Korea is considering one.

It may also be a CATOBAR design. Whether London would sell one to Korea is anyone's guess, but I don't see any actual political or economic barriers to it doing so.

The idea is not that we will sell them a completed vessel, only the design and oversight work. I think the ability to build any more has already been lost, though it might be reactivated at the right price. I think like us the South Koreans would want to do that themselves.

I would not like to see the Koreans being sold anything, including British design and oversight that they would naturally adopt and refine, but I would actually understand it, as there is nothing that Japan could realistically do to prevent it, and the Koreans could certainly afford it, unfortunately. 

#1145 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 55,583 posts

Posted 29 November 2019 - 1104 AM

Well Japan could buy warships from us, that might just swing it. Look at all the value they got at out of Mikasa. :D

#1146 JasonJ

JasonJ

nonbiri

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11,251 posts

Posted 30 November 2019 - 0518 AM

I honestly don't understand ROK's study into getting a carrier which has two contending options, a 40,000 class and a 70,000 class. And I honestly think there is a political correct foundation for criticizing South Korea. K2 tank and K9 arty made sense and both are great pieces of military hardware. Domestic cruise missiles and domestic anti-missiles make sense as well. But 70,000 ton class carrier? Their stealth fighter program also doesn't make much sense since it doesn't look to be better than F-35 in any way. However, geopolitics lookght be what makes them work. Korean stealth just for cheap international market and alternative to US F-35 but still roughly in US camp as oppose to a country like Russia. 70,000 ton carrier still can't imagine except for publicity pride. 40,000 ton might be more realistic if joined up in a coalition of sorts assuming that ROK is thinking of becoming more active in blue waters.

At any rate, regardless of degree of actual intention vs publicity, ROK announcing a fuller well rounded carrier makes it easier for Japan to announce such an intention to make one I would think.

#1147 JasonJ

JasonJ

nonbiri

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11,251 posts

Posted 30 November 2019 - 0521 AM

Well Japan could buy warships from us, that might just swing it. Look at all the value they got at out of Mikasa. :D

Apparantly the Mikasa preserved at Yokosuka is the last existing pre-dreadnaught BB.

#1148 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 55,583 posts

Posted 30 November 2019 - 0556 AM

Thats right, and its the last surviving British built battleship anywhere. Unless you count the Prince of Wales, and the chinese scrappers have been well into her, the bastards.

#1149 BJE

BJE

• TestGroup
  • PipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 30 November 2019 - 0623 AM

Thats right, and its the last surviving British built battleship anywhere. Unless you count the Prince of Wales, and the chinese scrappers have been well into her, the bastards.

If you count Prince of Wales as surviving, you also has Audacious, Royal Oak and Barham... Barham should be in worse condition than Prince of Wales though.

#1150 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 55,583 posts

Posted 30 November 2019 - 0920 AM

Royal Oak is fairly intact. And happily in those waters, things dont seem to rust that quickly, as we saw with the Grand Fleet.

I suspect there isnt much left of Audacious now, if HMS Invincible is any guide.

#1151 Rick

Rick

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4,236 posts

Posted 01 December 2019 - 0611 AM

It would be fun to see Harriers around the boat.

Operating with German submarines on a "fleet problem."

#1152 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 55,583 posts

Posted 02 December 2019 - 0349 AM

EKtep8UWkAEbX1j.jpg

EKtep69WkAQuQNS.jpg

https://twitter.com/HMSQnlz

Edited by Stuart Galbraith, 02 December 2019 - 0351 AM.