#1 RETAC21

RETAC21

A la lealtad y al valor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14,410 posts

Posted 31 July 2020 - 1000 AM

https://chindits.wor...-normandy-1944/

Was looking for some data on Goodwood when I stumbled across this "sight" with some great maps:

map-2-normandy-perch.jpg

#2 Sardaukar

Sardaukar

Cynical Finnish Elk Eating Ilk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9,748 posts

Posted 31 July 2020 - 1500 PM

Since this is about maps....

Digital Atlas of the Roman Empire (DARE):

https://dh.gu.se/dare/

#3 Nobu

Nobu

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4,659 posts

Posted 31 July 2020 - 2358 PM

Fascinating sites, taking up a good chunk of my free time recently.

#4 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

Just Another Salisbury Tourist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 59,373 posts

Posted 01 August 2020 - 0433 AM

The Roman one is completely awesome.

If you like Railways, this one showing all the railways and stations of England and Wales is pretty awesome. Kind of useful when you are thinking about DDay.

http://www.systemed....ilway_Atlas.pdf

#5 DougRichards

DougRichards

Doug Richards

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10,674 posts

Posted 02 August 2020 - 1855 PM

About the map in the first post, unless I have woken up in an alternative universe, the scale indicator is wacky.

#6 Argus

Argus

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,990 posts

Posted 03 August 2020 - 2355 PM

If you like Railways, this one showing all the railways and stations of England and Wales is pretty awesome. Kind of useful when you are thinking about DDay.

Now I want one of those for the canal system!

#7 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 59,373 posts

Posted 04 August 2020 - 0212 AM

Yeah that would be really interesting wouldnt it?

Britain would appear to be the last country in the world still building canals. :D

#8 Adam Peter

Adam Peter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,676 posts

Posted 04 August 2020 - 1457 PM

The straight line from Redhill to Ashford International is interesting. The railway created those places on the line, or those were there before?

#9 Argus

Argus

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,990 posts

Posted 04 August 2020 - 1921 PM

Yeah that would be really interesting wouldnt it?

Britain would appear to be the last country in the world still building canals. :D

well restoring old ones at least and good on erm IMHO, I must declare a vested interest, putting in a few years cruising the system is a half plan of mine :)

Granted I don't see the cut as a super highway of the future, but they seem a net gain all around even if they are never likely to be a major haulage system again. The UK still has most of its coastal shipping infrastructure too, although slumbering in semi-obsolescent neglect, the core is still there, chugging along waiting for any swing away from road transport and back towards smaller scale break bulk traffic. 

#10 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 59,373 posts

Posted 05 August 2020 - 0231 AM

Supposedly there is legislation demanding local authorities keep loading facilities extant for canal boats, but nobodys seems to honor it anymore. The last hurrah of the canal boat industry (other than in tourism) was in the 1960's. I gather the great freeze finished it off and it all went on the lorries from that point. I guess it might prove useful in some sort of civil emergency of course.

This  canal being restored is a particular interest of mine. Not only is it the nearest (or when it was open was the nearest) to where I live, part of the route goes through sapperton, and the resulting tunnel was at the time the longest in the world, nearly 3 and a half kilometres long. I hope I live to see boats go through that again.

https://en.wikipedia...om 1789 to 1811.

Edited by Stuart Galbraith, 05 August 2020 - 0237 AM.

#11 Argus

Argus

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,990 posts

Posted 05 August 2020 - 1945 PM

There's a few projects like that I'm watching, the Wey and Arun looks like a nice one, there's a bit in Wales and I have a soft spot for the Somerset Coal Canal, but yes getting Sapperton open would/will be great to see. 

I think it indicative that British Waterways was the one great nationalisation that was really never wound back in same way as Road, Rail or the other industrial conglomerations. Of course the problem with the narrow canal system is speed, moving an container equivalent is easy and soo much more efficient. But manpower per mile is equivalent if not worse for the canal and at 3mph (or say 10mph in commercial service) even with JIT scheduling the wages per ton mile compared to a truck and driver is just horrific - it only makes sense if semi-skilled labour is dirt cheap. :(  

#12 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 59,373 posts

Posted 06 August 2020 - 0202 AM

Well Cameron finally privatized it as a trust, and not surprisingly they immediately found some monetary issues (everything that man touched was a bloody disaster it seems). It seems as if though its going to make a go of it though, after all its the kind of holiday anyone can enjoy, and even the bad weather isnt necessarily a bar to having a good time. Even Covid 19 isnt necessarily going to prove a problem. But yes, it worked as a nationalized industry, but we have to remember the canals pretty much fell out of use before the 70's, and the 70's were a bad time for any nationalized industry. We just ran out of money to pay for any upkeep, whether it was British Rail or British Steel. British Waterways were filling locks full of concrete so nobody would try to open them again.

I think its speed that is the worst problem. I think if you were to think carefully,you could digitize most of the canal operating mechanisms and make them automatic, if you were willing to put the investment in. But you would still have a system that moves things only marginally faster than a horse and cart.

Probably a viable option for places like Birmingham though. That has more miles of canal than Venice, and its all densly packed.

#13 Harold Jones

Harold Jones

Shaken but not deterred...

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4,595 posts

Posted 07 August 2020 - 1053 AM

I would happily do a canal boat I&I. I've been trying to convince the friends we go houseboating with, that a week on a canal boat in the UK would be a not terribly more expensive alternative to our usual week on Lake Powell.

#14 Adam_S

Adam_S

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,480 posts

Posted 08 August 2020 - 0553 AM

I would happily do a canal boat I&I. I've been trying to convince the friends we go houseboating with, that a week on a canal boat in the UK would be a not terribly more expensive alternative to our usual week on Lake Powell.

It's a thoroughly delightful way to spend a week or so. There are a lot of excellent country pubs right next to canals.

#15 Argus

Argus

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,990 posts

Posted 10 August 2020 - 0129 AM

Yeah yeah yeah, steal my frick'n ideas and enjoy friend :)

#16 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 59,373 posts

Posted 10 August 2020 - 0212 AM

Supposedly Harrison Ford has a penchant for Canal holidays in Wales.

#17 Harold Jones

Harold Jones

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4,595 posts

Posted 10 August 2020 - 1435 PM

Yeah yeah yeah, steal my frick'n ideas and enjoy friend :)

We could reserve you a bunk.

#18 Argus

Argus

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,990 posts

Posted 11 August 2020 - 2226 PM

Here we go, both rail and canal

https://www.railmaponline.com/

#19 Harold Jones

Harold Jones

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4,595 posts

Posted 2 minutes ago

It would be cool if you could rent a private rail car, plan an itinerary and get added to whichever train was going to your next stop. Probably not cheap, but after touring a rail road president's private car a few years ago it seems like a hell of a way to travel.