Photo

Can We Talk About Pen And Paper Games In Here?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 TOW-2

TOW-2

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 733 posts

Posted 30 August 2017 - 1022 AM

Any fans of Twilight:2000?

#2 Mr King

Mr King

Leet Russian Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,173 posts
  • Interests:Vodka and Democrat Party Internet Servers

Posted 30 August 2017 - 1125 AM

I like pen and paper games. Never played Twilight 2000, but would like to. Recently bought a friend of mine Deadlands Reloaded handbooks for his birthday. My biggest gripe about pen and paper games, is you are bringing together people who have a tendency to have poor social skills, to interact socially for an extended period of time typically on weekly basis. I don't have much patience for the clashing of nerd egos. 

#3 Ssnake

Ssnake

Virtual Shiva Beast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5,548 posts
  • Interests:Contemporary armor - tactics and technology

Posted 30 August 2017 - 1522 PM

Used to playa lot of Call of Cthulhu, recently Warhammer (the RPG, minus the 40k), and the mind-blowingly fantastic Dracula Unredacted campaign for Night's Black Agents.

#4 Panzermann

Panzermann

REFORGER '79

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13,486 posts

Posted 30 August 2017 - 1602 PM

Twilight2000? I always wanted to read it. But I doubt I'd like its rules. the setting with a cold war gone hot and everything has always intrigued me.

Myslef I have played so many different games.....

Current favourite is Barbarians of Lemuria for its simplicity. And Ratten! (Rats!) for its setting in an abandoned department store and the tribes of rats living there. recently I have GMed PP&P. Hehe. Hmm I tend towards lighter rules nowadays, because I do not want to carry crates of rulebooks around. Or fiddle with a tablet and pdf at the gaming table.

#5 bojan

bojan

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10,418 posts
  • Interests:Obscure tanks and guns.
    Obscure facts about well known tanks and guns.
    Obscure historical facts.

Posted 30 August 2017 - 1717 PM

I have played T2K many years ago, favorite of mine was a scenario that was practically a translation of Kelly's Heroes. :)

Favorites are ATM Call of Cthulhu - just a classic and very rules easy, so new players are easily drawn in the game, Dark Heresy (Warhammer 40000 RPG) - pnp RPG that I GMed best campaign our gang played ever and Warhammer RPG (2nd edition), currently GMing old "Enemy Within" campaign.

#6 Ssnake

Ssnake

Virtual Shiva Beast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5,548 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 0103 AM

currently GMing old "Enemy Within" campaign.

...same here. I'm on the receiving end... :)

Just finished the carnival in Middenheim.

Cringeworthy names, though. Really.

Edited by Ssnake, 31 August 2017 - 0104 AM.

#7 Panzermann

Panzermann

REFORGER '79

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13,486 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 0545 AM

currently GMing old "Enemy Within" campaign.

enemy within is good, but needs work by the GM, because some things just don't fit. Rotten in Kislev was dropped IIRC with not much of a reason. I don't know if they changed and adjusted and repaired it with the 3E remake.

In one of the official adventures any german speaker is being clued in by the names. Täter, Opfer and such... whch makes it a bit pointless to investigate.

But the pun ridden bad german names are part of Sigmar's Realm. Just like the really bad french in Bretonnia. Tilea and Estalia have never been described enough to get bad italian and spanish respectively. :D

I wonder if the Khemri mummies from the desert are ridden woth bad puns in ancient egyptian or just nonsense?

BTW 4th editon is coming from Cubicle7 http://www.cubicle7.co.uk/?s=warhammer

both in classic and Age of Sigmar flavours.

Edited by Panzermann, 31 August 2017 - 0600 AM.

#8 Panzermann

Panzermann

REFORGER '79

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13,486 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 0559 AM

I have played T2K many years ago, favorite of mine was a scenario that was practically a translation of Kelly's Heroes. :)

Favorites are ATM Call of Cthulhu - just a classic and very rules easy, so new players are easily drawn in the game, Dark Heresy (Warhammer 40000 RPG) - pnp RPG that I GMed best campaign our gang played ever and Warhammer RPG (2nd edition), currently GMing old "Enemy Within" campaign.

We are about to start a rogue trader campaign for the kingdom level play so to speak. Though ine of the players really has a problem grasping the scope. He always got lost in isty bitsy details when we ended up with our Dark Heresy interrogators as the provisional government of a rebellious planet with the mission to make it deliver its tithes again.

CoC I have played a few times. It was fun and rules light would have been an understatement. We never rolled any dice IIRC and the character sheets would have been enough with a few quick notes about the characters like in a theater play. (professor of history, housewife with a penchant for astrology etc.)

I don't know why, but WHFRP lends itself to memorable campaigns. althoug you are a dirty rat catcher with a small but vicious dog wading thruogh kneedeep manure. To use the old well worn trope. Most memorabe moments were when we learned that the returning NPC questgiver we only met at night at obscure places was named von Karstein. And when we stopped in The Moot we ended up with +5% Toughness because we were fat and -5% agility, because we were fat like Hänsel & Gretel.  ^_^

#9 CT96

CT96

Deputy Assistant Secretary to the Dragon Slayer Apprentice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,291 posts
  • Interests:Miltary History, Geopolitics, Computers

Posted 31 August 2017 - 2253 PM

I really love looking across a table at my friend/opponent, rolling real dice, etc. It is a FAR better experience than a computer based game. Unfortunately, at the phase of life I am in, I don't seem to be able to get together with people long enough for such things (Screaming infant, work schedules, etc. etc.).

I still, occasionally, get my old RPG group together. We used to have some epic D&D style campaigns... but we are "now" running a Star Trek one. "Now" being the quibble word... haven't had a session in about 3 years, and with an infant figuring out how to run around, I don't see it happening again soon..........

Still, the memory of my friend the illusionist creating a destraction by setting an illusion of himself on fire, and going door to door in the village seeking some water........

#10 Ssnake

Ssnake

Virtual Shiva Beast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5,548 posts

Posted 01 September 2017 - 0141 AM

I found tabletop games to be something of a Methadone treatment for that pen & paper RPG itch when you don't have the time for it. Depends, of course, on the games. The Battlestar Galactica game is incredibly well designed in that it's semi-collaborative (humans against open cylons, cylon infiltrators, and cylon sleeper agents among the human player group in the second phase of the game). It even allows you to act out the one or other film scene if you have players who react appropriately (in one session I drew the card of Caprica Six, and another player had the role of Gaius Baltar, so I decided to give him the sermon of destiny and god's will and that he should have faith in that I was doing the right thing - great fun). Likewise, the Arkham Horror game (although I think one can skip on the many expansions); entirely cooperative against the game mechanism. So, these games offer a bit of a blend of RPG elements while you're playing a board game with limited duration.

So, switching over to these games for a while until the kids grow up a bit more can help to keep the group of friends together, and once that the kids turn eight or 15 they are ready to join the pen & paper RPG sessions, depending on your world & rule set. ;)

Edited by Ssnake, 01 September 2017 - 0143 AM.

#11 bojan

bojan

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10,418 posts

Posted 01 September 2017 - 0720 AM

Wait for 40K and it's pig-latin unpronounceable names. :)

#12 bojan

bojan

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10,418 posts

Posted 01 September 2017 - 0803 AM

enemy within is good, but needs work by the GM, because some things just don't fit. Rotten in Kislev was dropped IIRC with not much of a reason. I don't know if they changed and adjusted and repaired it with the 3E remake.

Oh, every campaign does, at least a bit.

Previously noted "best campaign ever", Dark Heresy "Haarlock's Legacy" needed whole lot of work (including changing an order of the book, it was much better to play 2nd/1st/3rd book than as originally intended, it needed connecting adventures before and between books, needed more work on whole meta-plot (fortunately there was excellent "Disciples of the Dark Gods" sourcebook and a wealth of inspiration scattered). Things that helped was a fantastic plot idea (not original, but done masterfully), very hard and far reaching moral decisions players had to make

Spoiler
, and some fantastically written NPCs.

Then I continued it in a Rogue Trader campaign "Warpstorm", that had to be heavily redacted, but it worked much, much better with Inquisition on the helm of the ship.

Spoiler

Fact that I am most proud about it was that out of 6 players (not all regular), only one knew a lot about 40k universe, two had no idea and 3 had some faint clues, yet they managed to play their characters almost perfectly.

A friend who played did this quick sketch of the gang at the beginning of their adventures - most characters look like their players :)

acolytes_by_shunkarion-d4cegpk.jpg

For those who know mechanics of the game:

Noble born Adepta Sororita initiate, Feudal (Roman like actually, hence the helmet and breastplate) world guardsman, Noble born scum, Psyker, mind-wiped adeptus arbiter, naval officer (another guardsman).

When they transitioned to the Rogue Trader Sister became inquisitor, guardsman went to be an Arch Militant, Scum got rogue trader's warrant, psyker became interrogator, Arbiter, well, he stayed arbiter and naval officer became seneschal (and in practice also inquisitor's "left hand").

Inquisitor finished campaign half mad and with quite shaken faith going to a great crusade that she would most probably not survive, guardsman died in the final confrontation as did arbiter and psyker, naval officer survived and went to a crusade with inquisitor out of loyalty, scum... Well being scum she had a pact with

Spoiler
that kept her alive when she should have died, and she went to roam the universe fighting against opponents of her
Spoiler
bloodline as a new horror.

Edited by bojan, 30 March 2018 - 1641 PM.

#13 Panzermann

Panzermann

REFORGER '79

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13,486 posts

Posted 02 September 2017 - 0621 AM

Give Me the phone number of that noble-born scum! B)

Funny I have long pondered playing a noble scum myself for a DH campaign. but lacking that... And now I ended up with a trader warrant. ^_^

How well did it work to use Ascension and Rogue Trader together? One lack of RT is imho that there are no normal psykers in the rules, but then there would be third "wizard" class in the game. and from reading Ascension it seemed like quite the hot mess. Also I miss the assassin type with void-born background. I once had player playing an Astral Knife who constantly took rerolls.

For the upcoming RT game we all rolled up our characters completely random and I ended up with the actual rogue trader. No clue what to do with him. :blush:  I searched around the web, but did not find much. (though a certain "bojan" lectured about the AK on the FFG forums :lol: )

Yes you can some good stuff with the 40k universe. And especially Rogue Trade lends itself to people that do not know that much about it, because you can play it a bit like Star Trek discovering a foreign planet each week IMHO. And well with less knowledge the chance for long fluff debates is lessened.

Edited by Panzermann, 02 September 2017 - 0624 AM.

#14 bojan

bojan

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10,418 posts

Posted 02 September 2017 - 0706 AM

Give Me the phone number of that noble-born scum! B)

tumblr_oa0mtdfnZt1sfltapo3_1280.jpg

:)

How well did it work to use Ascension and Rogue Trader together? One lack of RT is imho that there are no normal psykers in the rules, but then there would be third "wizard" class in the game. and from reading Ascension it seemed like quite the hot mess. Also I miss the assassin type with void-born background. I once had player playing an Astral Knife who constantly took rerolls.

They work so-so together, but kinda OK, for those that transitioned to Rogue Trader careers, since at that moment were level 6 in DH I gave them choice of spending exp (all up the end of DH level 8) on both their original career and Rogue Trader one - IIRC level 8 in DH is equal to level 3 in RT. Then those that stayed original career simply picked ascension careers after DH L8 and RT ones continued since level 4 (IIRC).

Ascension characters were kinda more powerful but not enough that it made considerable difference, especially since I play fast and loose with rules and let good idea thump the actual rules.

For the upcoming RT game we all rolled up our characters completely random and I ended up with the actual rogue trader. No clue what to do with him. :blush:  I searched around the web, but did not find much. (though a certain "bojan" lectured about the AK on the FFG forums :lol: )

Rogue Trader is a fun as a character, think "Aguirre, der Zorn Gottes" or "Cobra Verde"***, East India Company, character from "Wolf of Wall Street", age of sail captain and larger than a life personality all combined in the one.

Mal from Firefly would be a down on his luck Rogue Trader (and the rest of his gang fits quite well).

Spoiler

Yes you can some good stuff with the 40k universe. And especially Rogue Trade lends itself to people that do not know that much about it, because you can play it a bit like Star Trek discovering a foreign planet each week IMHO. And well with less knowledge the chance for long fluff debates is lessened.

Yes, I have found out that 40k RPGs work best with people who either know how to keep their mouths shut about lore their characters do not know, or are relative beginners and just don't know lore - since certainly average starting DH character has no ideas either. 

Edited by bojan, 02 September 2017 - 0721 AM.

#15 Skywalkre

Skywalkre

Garry F!@#$%g Owen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8,291 posts
  • Interests:military history, psychology, gaming (computer, board, simulation, console), sci-fi

Posted 15 June 2018 - 2236 PM

I really love looking across a table at my friend/opponent, rolling real dice, etc. It is a FAR better experience than a computer based game.

This.  This is so true.

I just got back from a vacation where I went to see an old HS friend for nearly a week.  He has turned into an avid DnD/Pathfinder player/DM* and was kind enough to set up a 3-night campaign for me with some of his regular players.

It.  Was.  AMAZING! 

He adopted the story from a book he had recently read.  Wonderful mix of fantasy, mystery, and combat (felt a bit like an X-Files episode at first and then shifted to the traditional DnD feel).

One of the other players was... this guy was just good.  He DMs another campaign my friend is a part of and has been playing for years and it showed.  We exchanged some emails before I got up there and he mentioned his character was a bard.  When I first read this I rolled my eyes as I've always hated that class.  I only know my friend so just keep quiet to see how things play out (my friend had told me in another campaign this guy was playing Radagast... yeah, the wizard from LotR... in a setting that wasn't LotR... I was really worried).

On the first night all our characters (old friends from childhood) are meeting up in a town on the outskirts of the kingdom (we agreed to meet here before going our separate ways as young adults to celebrate the birthday of one of the characters... the town at that time had a reputation for being great for adventurers like us).  This dude introduces himself and then basically explains how he's a conman.  He took all the bard abilities and spells and twisted them and used most when performing an act he'd do in small villages to make folks think he was hunting ghosts.  As the campaign played out he played out this struggle his character was having of not thinking he was really capable of doing heroic things (he did... this guy used a lot of lesser known rules in combat to be an amazing utility player which set up the monk and my ranger to do tons of damage).

I'm not doing the guy justice.  His character was a fascinating take on the bard, his accent when in character wasn't cheesy, and the way he handled himself in the RP moments was almost always bellyaching hilarious.  In one instance the innkeeper where we were staying revealed himself as an agent of the 'Dark'  which were were trying to find.  He teleported us to this alternate dimension or something where we fought.  After he's killed we teleported back.  Suddenly the innkeeper materializes in the middle of this busy inn during dinner time.  This guy's first action?  Gets behind the bar and starts serving drinks.  Tells folks he's the new caretaker of the inn and tries collecting tabs (he was ALWAYS trying to get money out of folks).

Just an amazing time.  My friend and I are talking about doing this as a yearly thing.  A regular campaign doesn't work for me where I live but doing this once a year at the cost of a few hundred bucks for airfare is more than worth it.

*He's a lucky guy.  In one campaign where he's a player they meet after school at school for an hour or two every week.  He meets with another group of his coworkers in a campaign he DMs on Sat evenings (when school is in session).  On top of all of this his school has a board game club (with school funding! :lol:) that he's a sponsor for that meets once a month or something as well.  I hate him!  :lol:

#16 CT96

CT96

Deputy Assistant Secretary to the Dragon Slayer Apprentice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,291 posts
  • Interests:Miltary History, Geopolitics, Computers

Posted 16 June 2018 - 1702 PM

Quite. I really miss running my campaigns, even only once a year. I still get together with members of my group from time to time... we keep talking about doing it again. Maybe one day once my son is out of toddler stage... yeah, right. 

#17 Mr King

Mr King

Leet Russian Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,173 posts
  • Interests:Vodka and Democrat Party Internet Servers

Posted 20 June 2018 - 1305 PM

Decided I'm going to give it a go again. Buddy is running a Savage Worlds Deadlands game I bought him for his birthday last year. I have been itching to play Deadlands for a while now.  Now I just have to locate my bag of dice, and manage to stay wake past 9pm. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users