7027 replies to this topic

#7001 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

Just Another Salisbury Tourist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 52,523 posts

Posted 11 June 2019 - 0924 AM

Yes, there isnt much interwar US Armor available. Might be worth checking companies like Accurate Armour and see if they do anything like that. The big manufacturers wont touch it.

#7002 JasonJ

JasonJ

nonbiri

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10,356 posts
  • Interests:sleeping

Posted 11 June 2019 - 0947 AM

Yes, there isnt much interwar US Armor available. Might be worth checking companies like Accurate Armour and see if they do anything like that. The big manufacturers wont touch it.

I recall once finding one or two of M2 light or M2 Medium out there on some really small specialty website, I think they 3D print the parts or something, would be a little hard to find again but the cost was like 300 USD or something and a full display example wasn't shown so... 

Accurate Armour looks really neat, might have a tank or two worth picking up.

#7003 TonyE

TonyE

I/Kitsap Militia

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5,452 posts
  • Interests:Them grate steal beest! and, there history.

Posted 11 June 2019 - 1403 PM

This looks like it might be interesting, a war film on the Ukrainian defence of Pristina Airport....

And you say I am obsessed by Kosovo?

1111.jpg

#7004 Nobu

Nobu

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,436 posts

Posted 11 June 2019 - 1510 PM

I dare not ask what it does to women.

#7005 bojan

bojan

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11,416 posts
  • Interests:Obscure tanks and guns.
    Obscure facts about well known tanks and guns.
    Obscure historical facts.

Posted 11 June 2019 - 1628 PM

Makes them good looking :P

#7006 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 52,523 posts

Posted 12 June 2019 - 0218 AM

This looks like it might be interesting, a war film on the Ukrainian defence of Pristina Airport....

And you say I am obsessed by Kosovo?

1111.jpg

I of course heard of Balkanization, but I thought they meant something else. :unsure:

Edited by Stuart Galbraith, 12 June 2019 - 0222 AM.

#7007 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 52,523 posts

Posted 12 June 2019 - 0222 AM

I recall once finding one or two of M2 light or M2 Medium out there on some really small specialty website, I think they 3D print the parts or something, would be a little hard to find again but the cost was like 300 USD or something and a full display example wasn't shown so... 

They did what looks like quite a nice model of a Japanese mini submarine. Sadly not on sale at the moment. But the X Boat is.

https://accurate-arm...al-products/s11

#7008 JasonJ

JasonJ

nonbiri

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10,356 posts

Posted 12 June 2019 - 0331 AM

They did what looks like quite a nice model of a Japanese mini submarine. Sadly not on sale at the moment. But the X Boat is.

X-boat would be the more successful of the two. I guess it wasn't the fitst time to cut undersea communication cables but I haven't heard of any earlier examples of doing that.

#7009 TonyE

TonyE

I/Kitsap Militia

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5,452 posts
  • Interests:Them grate steal beest! and, there history.

Posted 12 June 2019 - 0611 AM

The X-Craft is available as a 1/35 plastic kit from Merit at a fraction of the AA price. ;)

#7010 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 52,523 posts

Posted 12 June 2019 - 0644 AM

Yeah, but it wont be anywhere near as good. I remember building the AA Challenger 2, and then the Trumpeter one. Dimensionally its ok, detail wise its what you would expect a mass market plastic kit copied from a resin original, compared to a resin and brass kit. Not very good.

#7011 Yama

Yama

The only honest Scorpion

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6,899 posts

Posted 16 June 2019 - 0900 AM

X-Men Dark Phoenix is a bore. Do not watch unless you have insomnia and badly need sleep. -2748/+5.

Such a far far cry from the Infinity Saga. I hope this is well and truly the end of the X-Men franchise. The whole "We're not so different from you guys so don't persecute us, and diversity is beautiful" schtick is tiresome already. Make them stop making X-Men movies please.

So... I just went and read the wiki plot summary and for the life of me the movie makes zero sense.

I have always found that reading the plot summaries from Wiki or IMDB make them feel like the story makes no sense at all, and then it works much better in actual execution. However, don't get fooled to think that Dark Phoenix is a great movie, because it isn't. Good news is, it is still full star rating better than the Last Stand, their previous attempt at Dark Phoenix. But since Last Stand was *1/2 movie at tops, the rating still ain't high.

The script felt like they wrote the first rought draft and then "Ok, lets start shooting". Nearly all the dialogue felt very unrefined and plot had unnecessary complications and character motivations were all over the place. Phoenix spent most of her time appearing confused and scared, when she should have been drunk on her increased powers. There was a big fight scene towards the end which was quite good, so there's that at least. I do credit the writers for actually reading some of the source material this time, but they still did not get the essence of the Phoenix story. It's a story of seduction and corruption. And you can't do it without including Jason Wyngarde.

Edited by Yama, 16 June 2019 - 0901 AM.

#7012 nitflegal

nitflegal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Armor, martial arts

Posted 16 June 2019 - 1030 AM

Commander's Models does them in 1/35: http://ironshipwrigh...rmor/armor.html .  Their kits are a bit rough (I have their T23 and M7) but are decent.  And they are of kits we'll probably never see in plastic.

#7013 JasonJ

JasonJ

nonbiri

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10,356 posts

Posted 16 June 2019 - 1049 AM

Commander's Models does them in 1/35: http://ironshipwrigh...rmor/armor.html .  Their kits are a bit rough (I have their T23 and M7) but are decent.  And they are of kits we'll probably never see in plastic.

Seeing that link, now I recall seeing it once, the prices aren't as bad as I recalled but still fairly pricey. Not seeing a finished kit was also a minus point. But hearing that someone got a couple of their kits and that they came out OK is probably going to be enough to tip the scale to giving at least one a try :) Thanks!

#7014 Yama

Yama

The only honest Scorpion

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6,899 posts

Posted 16 June 2019 - 1555 PM

I was not the biggest fan of latest Godzilla. Directing and pacing felt off compared to much better laid out 2014 Godzilla and Skull Island. And once again, there was contrived, manufactured family drama involving kids. Le sigh. :rolleyes: Of course the horrible traitor who allied with terrorists and condemned thousands if not millions to die, is eventually totally redeemed when united with rest of the family. Yawn. Monsters were once again excellent, but the fights were not anywhere as well written as in previous movies, and IMO they should have teased out a bit the showdown of Godzilla and King Ghidorah. It was not total flop, just not at the same level as previous outings.

#7015 Skywalkre

Skywalkre

Garry F!@#$%g Owen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8,764 posts
  • Interests:military history, psychology, gaming (computer, board, simulation, console), sci-fi

Posted 16 June 2019 - 1626 PM

However, don't get fooled to think that Dark Phoenix is a great movie, because it isn't. Good news is, it is still full star rating better than the Last Stand, their previous attempt at Dark Phoenix. But since Last Stand was *1/2 movie at tops, the rating still ain't high.

The script felt like they wrote the first rought draft and then "Ok, lets start shooting". Nearly all the dialogue felt very unrefined and plot had unnecessary complications and character motivations were all over the place. Phoenix spent most of her time appearing confused and scared, when she should have been drunk on her increased powers. There was a big fight scene towards the end which was quite good, so there's that at least. I do credit the writers for actually reading some of the source material this time, but they still did not get the essence of the Phoenix story. It's a story of seduction and corruption. And you can't do it without including Jason Wyngarde.

The bolded bit is basically what happened.  I was reading an article on the whole debacle of a film a few weeks ago and it stated they went into principle filming and shot the first two acts but at the time realized the third act was a mess and would finish filming that in reshoots after they finished the script mpnths later.  :blink: 

Just a train wreck from the very start.  Funny enough it sounded like with the right lessons were learned from previous poor showings but the wrong conclusions were drawn on how to fix them.  That anyone was surprised by how this flopped, especially in light of this glaring production issue, is the real mystery.  Really remarkable how some of these folks in high places in the entertainment industry (or any industry, really) manage to keep their lofty positions when you hear about stories like this.

#7016 Yama

Yama

The only honest Scorpion

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6,899 posts

Posted 16 June 2019 - 1645 PM

Flops often happen when a director has one vision, and producer has another vision, and then they compromise on 50-50, and result is toneless mess which would have been better if they had just followed either guys vision fully. Much of the moviemaking is about dealing with bloated egoes, not just actors but producers and writers who think they're Awesomesauce ™.

Production problems per se are not necessarily indicative about coming disaster, sometimes the problems can be fixed. I remember the news stream about Titanic, it was disaster after disaster and it was widely believed to become the most expensive flop of all time. But of course when you have to reshoot tons of stuff it's an indication that the end result might become a patchwork which doesn't work as a whole. Apparently for Dark Phoenix they had to redo the ending as they noticed it was way too similar to ending of Cpt Marvel.

It's a shame that a series which was otherwise quite decent was concluded with a weak offering. Well, there is New Mutants still coming out, and stories of production problems, oh well...

Edited by Yama, 16 June 2019 - 1647 PM.

#7017 Yama

Yama

The only honest Scorpion

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6,899 posts

Posted 17 June 2019 - 1824 PM

So end of the year will see release of another long-awaited blockbuster sequel which has potential to make Disney even more gigabucks on top of already absurd pile Endgame is gathering them. And I am not talking about Star Wars. No, the mega-release will be...Frozen 2.

Now, who doesn't want yet another chirpy, happy, colourful Disney princess movie? Well, apparently Disney doesn't, as the first teaser and trailer look all dark, scary and intense. So long Arendelle, Elsa and Anna are heading to Mordor. Also now, Newtonian mechanics >> magic.

In all seriousness, it seems unlikely Disney will venture too far from their successful basic formula for this franchise movies, despite the first impressions. Still, interesting how openly they are pandering for more mature audiences with these first peeks. Also the animation and scenery looks gorgeous. It's almost too photo-realistic for animated feature. And as a big fan of yoik music, oh yeah!

#7018 sunday

sunday

Bronze-age right-wing delusional retard

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11,680 posts
  • Interests:Technology, History

Posted 17 June 2019 - 1837 PM

The Ice Queen wearing socks? That is new!

#7019 Harold Jones

Harold Jones

Shaken but not deterred...

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8,973 posts
  • Interests:Armor, History, Fishing and Beer

Posted 18 June 2019 - 0848 AM

The Ice Queen wearing socks?

Most of them do.

#7020 sunday

sunday