• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Brian Kennedy

Brian Kennedy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4,179 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 1812 PM

Is a shit, shit, depressingly shit game. Punch anybody in the face who suggests that you buy it. 

#2 Corinthian

Corinthian

Stone Age Bitter Delusional Retard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,982 posts
  • Interests:Wholesome stuff.

Posted 19 April 2017 - 2105 PM

I would like to know more.

#3 Harold Jones

Harold Jones

Shaken but not deterred...

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8,161 posts
  • Interests:Armor, History, Fishing and Beer

Posted 19 April 2017 - 2221 PM

just google it, you'll find plenty to keep you occupied.  I've never played any of the ME games but this one reduces even the most committed fan boys to quivering rage.

#4 Stefan Fredriksson

Stefan Fredriksson

Goldmember

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6,236 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 0240 AM

Is a shit, shit, depressingly shit game. Punch anybody in the face who suggests that you buy it. 

I enjoyed the first two games. What is worse in this part (that is, if you like previous games)?

#5 Der Zeitgeist

Der Zeitgeist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 464 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 0508 AM

If you liked the Mako-driving and exploring on uncharted planets in Mass Effect 1, you might also like ME:A.

I'm enjoying the actual gameplay on the open-world Planets quite a bit.

Story, characters, animations, are all vastly inferior to the first three games. If you liked the first games mostly through their characters, you will truly hate ME:A.

#6 Skywalkre

Skywalkre

Garry F!@#$%g Owen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7,410 posts
  • Interests:military history, psychology, gaming (computer, board, simulation, console), sci-fi

Posted 20 April 2017 - 0531 AM

#7 FlyingCanOpener

FlyingCanOpener

Kakistocrat

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8,837 posts
  • Interests:Geomatics // Naval History // Soccer // Teaching

Posted 20 April 2017 - 0616 AM

I think the most damning indictment of the game is that Game Informer (My brother has a GameStop subscription, but sends the magazines to me) gave it an 8.0. Considering it's a AAA title from EA, games with that pedigree get an 8.5 at the worst. They bagged it for the boring characters, not very inventive story, and all the bugs people are experiencing.

#8 Brian Kennedy

Brian Kennedy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4,179 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 0749 AM

Combat's not bad -- character animations are crap, storyline is dull as hell, characters are boring and one-dimensional, writing is fifth-grade level, I cud go on...

#9 Skywalkre

Skywalkre

Garry F!@#$%g Owen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7,410 posts
  • Interests:military history, psychology, gaming (computer, board, simulation, console), sci-fi

Posted 20 April 2017 - 1115 AM

The studio making it only had experience with somewhat cheap shooter-type games.  No RPG experience at all and it shows.

Some folks like to stick to "oh it was there first time" but it's not like you get a discount on a game when devs don't deliver because of that.  :glare:

#10 Fritz

Fritz

Master of Panzer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7,564 posts
  • Interests:WW2, armoured combat history, 3D CGI, motorsports

Posted 20 April 2017 - 1133 AM

So...

Mass Effect is my favourite game setting/series. I had kind of forgotten about ME:A until shortly before release various ads and prerelease info started coming out (for quite a while the game had almost zero advertising). Then I started getting a bit hyped until I saw the panel at one of the big game shows right before release (PAX East??). As I was watching the in-game videos various alarm bells started ringing and quickly it became obvious I have to hold off until I see some serious reviews. I didn't even play the free trial. Then reviews started coming out and they pointed out all the things that were obvious after just watching something like a total of 30 min of the game. I don't care about the bad animation or the bugs, these are things that can be cleaned up (and they are being fixed right now). What I couldn't stand was the terrible juvenile writing and seriously uninspired game design - fundamental flaws which cannot be fixed with a patch. This was universally panned by reviewers, however it's really discouraging that plenty of people still bought the game and said they were enjoying it as it is. I'm afraid it means that we'll be stuck with mediocrity in the future and the franchise is basically dead for me.

I don't blame EA. The game appears to be mediocre at the core, so I blame the lead designer (though obviously the whole team lacks sufficient competence for a game of this caliber). Or I guess we can blame EA for giving this game to a studio which lacks the talent and experience for it.

I am waiting to see how much it will get discounted but right now I'm not sure I'd pay even $20 for it. I may end up never buying it.

#11 Stefan Fredriksson

Stefan Fredriksson

Goldmember

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6,236 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 1318 PM

Thanks.
Still haven't played part 3. Might do that eventually, but skip this one.

#12 Skywalkre

Skywalkre

Garry F!@#$%g Owen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7,410 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 2313 PM

Still haven't played part 3. Might do that eventually

YcAQlkx.gif

#13 Stefan Fredriksson

Stefan Fredriksson

Goldmember

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6,236 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 0321 AM

Ha ha. I may just hold that thought. :)

#14 Fritz

Fritz

Master of Panzer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7,564 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 1036 AM

Eh, if you like ME2 you will most likely enjoy ME3. There is just one massive disappointment with it: all your choices from the previous two games (and really, 3 as well) in the end amount to just window dressing. ME3 is in many ways very linear. All missions basically play the same regardless of your previous choices, and if certain character from the previous games is key to a certain mission and was killed earlier, they are just replaced by a clone - a character with cosmetic differences who fills the same role. Yes some lines are slightly different and yes some outcomes are slightly different but your choices never fundamentally alter the course of the game. It all amounts to just one different number at the end (your "war assets"). And at the very end none of that matters at all. Priority: Tuchanka is the only mission where I actually felt I made some difference.

#15 Corinthian

Corinthian

Stone Age Bitter Delusional Retard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,982 posts
  • Interests:Wholesome stuff.

Posted 22 April 2017 - 1442 PM

:lol:

Henceforth, I shall read all your posts in the Games subforum in the narrator's voice. ^_^

#16 Brian Kennedy

Brian Kennedy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4,179 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 2034 PM

That video review is completely spot-on. Do not buy!

#17 Skywalkre

Skywalkre

Garry F!@#$%g Owen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7,410 posts

Posted 27 April 2017 - 2027 PM

it's really discouraging that plenty of people still bought the game and said they were enjoying it as it is. I'm afraid it means that we'll be stuck with mediocrity in the future and the franchise is basically dead for me.

Your comment reminded me of this famous pic from a few years ago...

qgGbVGR.png

...which just highlights the hypocrisy, laziness, whatever of NA gamers.  They all bitch and moan about what I would often consider reasonable issues that shouldn't be tolerated in games yet keep throwing their money at the developers/studios who keep shoveling them second-rate products.  They have no one to blame but themselves but clearly don't care.

#18 Fritz

Fritz

Master of Panzer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7,564 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 0932 AM

Seems like the game tanked bad enough that there might never be a sequel, or at least not any time soon and likely not coming from the same studio. This is probably the best realistic scenario. If there is ever a ME:A 2 it better be made by the main Bioware studio (though even if that happens I will still have no expectations).

http://kotaku.com/so...t-on-1795100285

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users