40 replies to this topic

#1 Ssnake

Ssnake

Virtual Shiva Beast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7,124 posts

Posted 06 December 2019 - 1639 PM

So, according to my Swedish colleague 46 IEDs have been set off in Sweden this year, presumably by Afghan bomb makers freelancing their services to various criminal gangs. None of them seem to have been properly investigated, the government is said to have admitted that they are incompetent to handle the situation, and allegedly the way-above-European-average murder rate has a clear-up rate in the region of 2%.

And yet, it's all crickets in the news. What gives?

#2 Chris Werb

Chris Werb

In Zod We Trust

• Staff
  • PipPip
  • 11,181 posts

Posted 06 December 2019 - 1700 PM

Why Afghan and not Iraqi, Syrian, Libyan or Chechen?

#3 Ssnake

Ssnake

Virtual Shiva Beast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7,124 posts

Posted 06 December 2019 - 1714 PM

Seems like the style of wiring and circuit boards was found mostly in Afghanistan before. I'm just reporting what he told me, though. Haven't found the time to look deeper into the matter so far.

#4 Mobius

Mobius

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6,017 posts

Posted 06 December 2019 - 1809 PM

The non-muslims Swedes should just pay jizya to live in their own country.  

#5 JasonJ

JasonJ

nonbiri

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11,793 posts

Posted 06 December 2019 - 1821 PM

About 160 explosions last year but none in 2017. No deaths from tbem though apparantly.
https://www.bbc.com/...europe-50339977

#6 Nobu

Nobu

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,693 posts

Posted 06 December 2019 - 1830 PM

So, according to my Swedish colleague 46 IEDs have been set off in Sweden this year, presumably by Afghan bomb makers freelancing their services to various criminal gangs. None of them seem to have been properly investigated, the government is said to have admitted that they are incompetent to handle the situation, and allegedly the way-above-European-average murder rate has a clear-up rate in the region of 2%.

And yet, it's all crickets in the news. What gives?

The inability of Sweden and Swedes to determine culpability beyond the presumably it was an indetermnate number or group of Afghans level likely plays a role in it.

#7 Soren Ras

Soren Ras

Molehill Mountaineer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,446 posts

Posted 06 December 2019 - 1846 PM

There's a narrative to protect. Pay no attention to your lying eyes, citizen. Just repeat the holy commandment: Diversity is our strength.

--
Soren

#8 Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe

purposeful grimace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,515 posts

Posted 06 December 2019 - 1915 PM

The standard MSM whitewash is to assert "mostly peaceful protesters" in these situations.

#9 Ssnake

Ssnake

Virtual Shiva Beast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7,124 posts

Posted 06 December 2019 - 2330 PM

"Bangers, improvised explosives and hand grenades" are behind most of the blasts, says Linda H Straaf, head of intelligence at Sweden's National Operations Department.

"This is a serious situation, but most people shouldn't be worried, because they are not going to be affected."

Yeah, right...

Worked splendidly in Al Capone's Chicago, or Baltimore today. Just gangsters targeting other gangsters, the normal population is never affected. Do these people hear themselves talking?

#10 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

Just Another Salisbury Tourist

• Members
  • 56,902 posts

Posted 07 December 2019 - 0315 AM

Just as a matter of interesting, is there an election coming up in Sweden soon? Im wondering if there is a connection.

#11 BansheeOne

BansheeOne

Bullshit filter overload, venting into civility charger

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14,862 posts

Posted 07 December 2019 - 0502 AM

As usual, a dedicated look reveals actually quite a bit of media coverage, most of it following an AFP wire report from early November that was probably based upon an item by the Swedish issue of "The Local". Even before that and without searching, I've seen recent reports on the situation in Malmö, long a hotspot of gang- and immigrant-related crime, in German news. I'm sure its more in Swedish sources.

So the issue is real, but as always my bullshit meter pegs over claims that something is "not being investigated and reported on, because reasons". And rightly so in this case, again. Chances are that if you haven't seen something in the media, it's not because they're not reporting it, but you aren't reading/watching enough.

Crime gangs in Sweden: What's behind the rise in the use of explosives? (The Local Sweden, 30 October)

Swedish police chief: No international equivalent to Sweden's wave of bombings (The Local Sweden, 7 November)

Trend in gang crime bombings rock Sweden (France 24, 8 November)

How gang bombings are rocking middle class suburbs in the quiet Swedish city of Malmö (The Telegraph, 9 November)

Swedish police reveal latest move to crack down on gang crime (The Local Sweden, 10 November)

Swedish police set up task force to combat gang violence (Reuters, 11 November)

Sweden's 100 explosions this year: What's going on? (BBC, 12 November)

Denmark, Worried About Bombings by Swedish Gangs, Begins Border Checks (NYT, 13 November)

Bombs, shootings are a part of life in Swedish city Malmo (Deutsche Welle, 23 November)

Does crime in Sweden affect your life? Foreign residents share their stories (The Local Sweden, 25 November)

#12 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

Just Another Salisbury Tourist

• Members
  • 56,902 posts

Posted 07 December 2019 - 0547 AM

I guess this is what happens when Saga Noren and Wallander retires....

#13 Stefan Fredriksson

Stefan Fredriksson

Stable Genius

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,121 posts

Posted 07 December 2019 - 0551 AM

Crickets? I think that might be part of some narrative.

As far as I can tell: No one is denying the explosions are happening here. No one is denying the ratio is above comparable countries. No one is denying it is a big problem.

Since (as far as I can tell) no one is claiming responsability for them, hypothesis is that (most of?) the explosions are not done to promote religious or political questions, but criminal persons escalating their violence. This makes, again afaik, a bit harder to actually catch the persons doing it, compared to if a group claimed responsibility for it.
That innocent people have not yet been killed or injured to a greater extent is probably much due to luck.

#14 seahawk

seahawk

military loving leftist peace monkey

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4,006 posts

Posted 07 December 2019 - 0641 AM

Swedish officials regularly liaise with German police forces working criminal foreign families or clans.

#15 Ssnake

Ssnake

Virtual Shiva Beast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7,124 posts

Posted 07 December 2019 - 0706 AM

As usual, a dedicated look reveals actually quite a bit of media coverage, most of it following an AFP wire report..., I've seen recent reports on the situation in Malmö, long a hotspot of gang- and immigrant-related crime, in German news. I'm sure its more in Swedish sources.

So the issue is real, but as always my bullshit meter pegs over claims that something is "not being investigated and reported on, because reasons"...

In my defense, I a. haven't claimed that there was no reporting of it because of some conspiracy, and b. I did search the one or other German news outlet (not the news agencies however) and found absolutely nothing on the combination of "bomb" or "IED" and "Sweden". That I'm largely cut off from news except for the interwebs certainly doesn't help. Still, I find the media echo, well, remarkably faint.

That being said, thank's a lot for digging up all the reports, it's much appreciated.

#16 BansheeOne

BansheeOne

Bullshit filter overload, venting into civility charger

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14,862 posts

Posted 07 December 2019 - 0753 AM

Nah, I wasn't referring to you claiming something rather than your colleague. The English "you" can be fuzzy that way.

#17 Ssnake

Ssnake

Virtual Shiva Beast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7,124 posts

Posted 07 December 2019 - 0836 AM

Well, he cedrtainly wasn't saying that the Swedish press fell silent about it. He was just baffled that none of us non-Swedes hadn't heard of it, and then went on a tangent to berate the useless social democrats in power.

#18 Stefan Fredriksson

Stefan Fredriksson

Stable Genius

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,121 posts

Posted 07 December 2019 - 1037 AM

Just a guess here; few casualties, and no obvious religious or political agenda makes it less sexy to report about?

#19 lucklucky

lucklucky

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,879 posts

Posted 07 December 2019 - 1326 PM

It seem as if no one here know how to make news transform into a case and then into a "xyzgate": start to bring "experts" to talk, then "social" professors, association xyz... of course journalists would use instead lots of of adjectives and no "just matter of fact" and would put  them on day after day in the news.

If it would be Trump visiting Sweden it would get much more adjectives than 100 bomb explosions.

#20 bojan

bojan

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12,003 posts

Posted 07 December 2019 - 1358 PM

Does any report says which homemade explosives are used? That one can be serious indicator of the "professionalism" of those involved.