• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#21 lastdingo

lastdingo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5,118 posts

Posted 07 December 2019 - 1410 PM

As usual, a dedicated look reveals actually quite a bit of media coverage, most of it following an AFP wire report..., I've seen recent reports on the situation in Malmö, long a hotspot of gang- and immigrant-related crime, in German news. I'm sure its more in Swedish sources.

So the issue is real, but as always my bullshit meter pegs over claims that something is "not being investigated and reported on, because reasons"...

In my defense, I a. haven't claimed that there was no reporting of it because of some conspiracy, and b. I did search the one or other German news outlet (not the news agencies however) and found absolutely nothing on the combination of "bomb" or "IED" and "Sweden". That I'm largely cut off from news except for the interwebs certainly doesn't help. Still, I find the media echo, well, remarkably faint.

That being said, thank's a lot for digging up all the reports, it's much appreciated.

You're trying to find news on German news outlets with English keywords?

Schweden + Bomben

or

Schweden + Explosionen

yields a lot.

#22 BansheeOne

BansheeOne

Bullshit filter overload, venting into civility charger

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14,862 posts

Posted 08 December 2019 - 0337 AM

"Sweden IED" actually didn't yield much for me either until I hit this post by a specialized site citing the AFP wire report. I initially copied the full first sentence for further search, then reduced it to "Sweden explosives" and ran a news search which hit pay dirt. I guess that shows the problem of using technical terms like "IED" that are self-evident to people on this site, but won't be used by common media. You must think like normal people! :D

Edited by BansheeOne, 08 December 2019 - 0338 AM.

#23 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

Just Another Salisbury Tourist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 56,902 posts

Posted 08 December 2019 - 0551 AM

There are normal people out there? When did this start? :huh:

#24 JasonJ

JasonJ

nonbiri

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11,793 posts

Posted 08 December 2019 - 0607 AM

As usual, a dedicated look reveals actually quite a bit of media coverage, most of it following an AFP wire report..., I've seen recent reports on the situation in Malmö, long a hotspot of gang- and immigrant-related crime, in German news. I'm sure its more in Swedish sources.

So the issue is real, but as always my bullshit meter pegs over claims that something is "not being investigated and reported on, because reasons"...

In my defense, I a. haven't claimed that there was no reporting of it because of some conspiracy, and b. I did search the one or other German news outlet (not the news agencies however) and found absolutely nothing on the combination of "bomb" or "IED" and "Sweden". That I'm largely cut off from news except for the interwebs certainly doesn't help. Still, I find the media echo, well, remarkably faint.

That being said, thank's a lot for digging up all the reports, it's much appreciated.

You're trying to find news on German news outlets with English keywords?

Schweden + Bomben
or
Schweden + Explosionen

yields a lot.

What's seen in only the English realm is quite smaller than what people within it believe.

#25 glappkaeft

glappkaeft

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 08 December 2019 - 0647 AM

There is another good reason why you won't get hits for IEDs. The explosives used are not improvised, it is mostly hand grenades and commercial stuff like dynamite.

#26 JasonJ

JasonJ

nonbiri

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11,793 posts

Posted 08 December 2019 - 0650 AM

Might need a "what's an IED" chart now like with the "what's an assualt rifle" chart and the "what's a tank" chart.

#27 glappkaeft

glappkaeft

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 08 December 2019 - 0658 AM

Mostly it looks like various drug/crime gangs fighting each other, shootings among criminals have gone up as well. For instance the "BIG ONE" next to an apartment building in Linköping (15-20 kg dynamite - biked passed the site 7 hour before the blast), the explosion at a strip club in Örebro and the double murder in Norrköping this week looks like some one taken offence at the Swedish branch of the Dutch "No Surrender MC" gang. One of the guys that got killed in the shooting lived in the apartment building on the side of the blast (but was in prison at the time). There are other conflicts going on in Stockholm and Malmö as well.

#28 BansheeOne

BansheeOne

Bullshit filter overload, venting into civility charger

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14,862 posts

Posted 08 December 2019 - 0741 AM

The Second Great Nordic Biker War?

#29 NickM

NickM

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4,365 posts

Posted 08 December 2019 - 1008 AM

Mostly it looks like various drug/crime gangs fighting each other, shootings among criminals have gone up as well. For instance the "BIG ONE" next to an apartment building in Linköping (15-20 kg dynamite - biked passed the site 7 hour before the blast), the explosion at a strip club in Örebro and the double murder in Norrköping this week looks like some one taken offence at the Swedish branch of the Dutch "No Surrender MC" gang. One of the guys that got killed in the shooting lived in the apartment building on the side of the blast (but was in prison at the time). There are other conflicts going on in Stockholm and Malmö as well.

Orebro?! WTF! I visited back in 1984--had a college acquaintance during my 'college in Greece' days invite me up there. I spent the better part of a week chaperoning a bunch of squealing teenager girls to see 'Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom' half a dozen times-each time a gross or scary scene would pop onto the screen they'd shriek, flail around and try go grab one another's hands. I must have gotten smacked in the face a half a dozen times before I learned not to sit between them.

#30 Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe

purposeful grimace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,515 posts

Posted 08 December 2019 - 1407 PM

"Sweden IED" actually didn't yield much for me either until I hit this post by a specialized site citing the AFP wire report. I initially copied the full first sentence for further search, then reduced it to "Sweden explosives" and ran a news search which hit pay dirt. I guess that shows the problem of using technical terms like "IED" that are self-evident to people on this site, but won't be used by common media. You must think like normal people! :D

Lets hope it never gets to that for any of TankNet Nation.

It is subgroups and communities like TN that keep me from buying rural property and building a fallout shelter with remote-control flamethrowers etc.

#31 bojan

bojan

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12,003 posts

Posted 08 December 2019 - 1706 PM

...remote-control flamethrowers etc.

"Fossil fuel powered, combustive grass sprinklers" is a PC term :D

Edited by bojan, 08 December 2019 - 1706 PM.

#32 glappkaeft

glappkaeft

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 08 December 2019 - 1808 PM

The Second Great Nordic Biker War?

At first it might look so but the older biker clubs are apparently sitting this out and while Dutch "No Surrender MC" looks like a more traditional MC gang (white dudes - mostly, bikes, beards and tattoos) they allow people to make documentaries about them (https://www.youtube....h?v=sOAqX3XI_gw).

One of the guys that got shot was the former head of general Mideastern immigrant gang "Black Cobras" (shut down by the police and the competition) and was IIRC now running Swedish No Surrender. He was second generation of Iranian decent, don't think that would fly in HA's. The Swedish chapter includes a significant number of non-bikers and has a lot of second generation immigrant members in their ranks. They are not on youtube instead you find them on facebook (https://www.facebook...urrendersweden/) posting about their deceased brothers (top public post). It's a new world...

No idea if the other actors are the Russian mob, Yugoslavian mob, other immigrant gangs or one of the home grown ones.

Edited by glappkaeft, 08 December 2019 - 1810 PM.

#33 Brian Kennedy

Brian Kennedy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5,491 posts

Posted 08 December 2019 - 1844 PM

One thing I've always wondered about the biker gangs in Nordic countries (and Quebec too!)... don't they get cold as f*ck in the winter?

#34 JasonJ

JasonJ

nonbiri

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11,793 posts

Posted 08 December 2019 - 1847 PM

They don't freeze in the winter storm. They are the winter storm.

#35 Brian Kennedy

Brian Kennedy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5,491 posts

Posted 08 December 2019 - 1854 PM

Yeah but do they like ride around in thermals and giant down parkas instead of leather jackets? Doesn't that affect their fashion sense? Or do they just lay low for the winter?

#36 JasonJ

JasonJ

nonbiri

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11,793 posts

Posted 08 December 2019 - 1858 PM

I honestly don't know whatsoever :)

#37 Ssnake

Ssnake

Virtual Shiva Beast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7,124 posts

Posted 08 December 2019 - 1930 PM

I wouldn't expect them (or anyone) to drive a lot with motorcycles on icy roads. Enduros maybe, with spiked wheels, but I think that spikes are now generally outlawed even in Sweden, and it seems like (at least to me) that Biker gangs never developed much love for off-road bikes. Besides, planting bombs, doing drive-by shootings or RPG attacks on club houses don't seem to be particularly well suited for motorcycle operations. Much easier to hide your gear in a car.

#38 MiloMorai

MiloMorai

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4,198 posts

Posted 08 December 2019 - 2019 PM

They switch to 4 wheel vehicles just like normal bikers do.

#39 glappkaeft

glappkaeft

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 09 December 2019 - 0826 AM

I wouldn't expect them (or anyone) to drive a lot with motorcycles on icy roads. Enduros maybe, with spiked wheels, but I think that spikes are now generally outlawed even in Sweden,

There is no general ban on spiked tires in Sweden but in a small number of cities they are banned in certain areas (parts of a street or two) with high levels of airborne particles.

IMNSHO missguided since the main problem are train breaks and diesel engines.

Edited by glappkaeft, 09 December 2019 - 0826 AM.

#40 Ssnake

Ssnake

Virtual Shiva Beast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7,124 posts

Posted 09 December 2019 - 1111 AM

Ah, OK.

Germany outlawed them in the 1970s due to the damage they caused to the roads, but then again we have much less of an ice problem than the Scandinavian peninsula. Looks like I misremembered a conversation I once had in Sweden about the issue.