• Please log in to reply
1283 replies to this topic

#1281 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

Welcome to the new world disorder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,261 posts
  • Location:Live from his Bunker of arrogance, deep beneath the Cotswolds.

Posted 22 April 2017 - 0743 AM

I seem to recall one author suggest that all the British civilian losses in WW2 were equivalent to a similar period of car accidents. Ive no way to verify that I might add.

Soviet battle losses in Afganistan during stay phase was only somewhat twice more per year that suicide losses on RF Army in "bad years". Some numbers suggests eve lesser gap.

Is that inclusive of illness? I seem to recall there was a number of epidemics on Soviet bases in Afghanistan in that period, and I read somewhere there were some casualties from it.

Yeah, I quite believe it, the losses were not THAT bad, particularly compared to what the US lost in Vietnam. I think it was more the economic cost of sustaining an operation that promised success year on year and didnt deliver.  Which also did for the Americans in the end too.

Edited by Stuart Galbraith, 22 April 2017 - 0744 AM.

#1282 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

Welcome to the new world disorder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,261 posts
  • Location:Live from his Bunker of arrogance, deep beneath the Cotswolds.

Posted Today, 09:50 AM

USS Michigan arrives in South Korea.

http://www.foxnews.c...orean-port.html

The USS Michigan, a nuclear powered Ohio class submarine will pull into the South Korean port of Busan for a hull check in the coming hours, military sources confirmed Monday to Fox News.

The Ohio class submarine will later join the USS Vinson aircraft carrier strike group for exercises in the Sea of Japan.

According to senior U.S. defense officials, the USS Vinson aircraft carrier strike group is in the Philippine Sea in waters south of Japan.

When asked about the USS Michigan, Lieutenant commander Matt Knight with U.S. Pacific Fleet told Fox News in a statement the submarine was on "routine deployment."

"U.S. Navy ships and submarines routinely make port calls in a variety of locations," Knight said. "As a matter of routine, we do not discuss future operations or the details regarding the operations of our submarines. USS Michigan is currently on a routine deployment to the Indo-Asia-Pacific."

#1283 Josh

Josh

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10,791 posts

Posted Today, 09:58 AM

That an SSGN was in theater is probably true over half the time. There are two PACFLT boats with two crews each. That it surfaced and made a port call is definitely a subtle saber rattle.

Edited by Josh, Today, 10:41 AM.

#1284 Josh

Josh

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10,791 posts

Posted Today, 10:40 AM

USS Pennsylvania SSBN in rare port call in Guam.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users