So women don't travel with perfume in their luggage? :huh:

All except the ones we know apparently.

#1902 Rick

Rick

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,929 posts

Posted Today, 05:01 AM

Personally I wonder why the British don't put a "special" spilt bottle of Beefeater's Gin say, in the Kremlin or Lenin's tomb.

You are proposing UK to have nice little war against China after deliberately targeting Chinese tourists, who are 90% of people in this places?

Not deadly old chap, just messy. For a long time. It appears strong-arm tactics is what Putin understands.

So where does randomly poisoning tourists fit in with your version of Christianity Rick? It's been a long time since Sunday school for me, but I don't remember being taught that anything along the lines of "A random tourist for an eye" was OK.

Not even hurtful old chap. No need for the physical harm your thinking. There are chemicals that can stain. There are chemicals that can emit rotten-egg smells.  There are paints that rapidly dry, perfect for graffiti.  Anti-Putin graffiti pictures, a stain that looks like Putin with a red circle and a line through it.  Union Jack decals with aggressive adhesive. Balloons with a map of England on them. Cheap glass vials emitting skunk-like odors with a photo of Putin enclosed. 

Moving on up, is there still that Cold War radio station that broadcasts anti-communism information? Expand it to television and social media. CD's, thumb drives, etc. that contain anti-Putin information/facts. Supporting anti-Putin groups seems like a good idea to me. Upping the ante, there are economic sanctions that are possible; such as not buying Russian exports and refusing international events to them.

I don't worry about foreign affairs as nearly much as many on this Grate Site do, but Russia is not the real threat to the U.S. Liberalism is the main threat to the U.S. Russia and China are way down the list.  If the U.S., the U.K. and the rest of Europe is serious about Russia there are‹actions ‹that can be done if said countries are serious without the brutality Putin likes.  From my view, Putin killed at least two British citizens and nothing of consequence is being done that I know of.   

Wait until someone uses this crap in your country in some non contentious place, like Time Square, or Washington for example. You may think otherwise.

If you tolerate this, you will be next. Its that simple. You think the US will get dispensation just because of what it is? Pearl Harbour and WTC would indicate otherwise.

As for whats being done, we are implimenting a British Magnitsky act. But you can put down the slow pace of it to British Bureaucracy in action. I wouldnt be surprised if they only just got around to repealing the red flag to be carried in front of Automobiles.

No, im not in favour of using it on tourists or innocent people. But in my more lurid moments I think how much fun it would be to smear some of this over the saddle of Putins Presidential Harley Trike. To watch the hard man urinate himself and babble like an idiot in front of hard men has something of a poetic justice to it.

Which is why I'm not overly worried about what Russia doing here what has been done to the U.K. 

#1903 Briganza

Briganza

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,318 posts
  • Interests:armour and infantry

Posted Today, 05:02 AM

Roman, I take it you never went through Duty Free stores on the way from Russia? :)
People bring all sorts of trophies, even just looking at colleagues travelling. To claim someone carrying perfume in luggage from Russia would be unusual is really just like saying nobody would carry wine to France (did do several times) or high grade alcohol to Russia etc.

Please try to find less absurd lines of defense, right now it looks a bit like "not a step back" ;)

See above, "Somebody arriving from Russia with bottle of perfume in gift wrap (or even opened one) is like somebody arriving to Russia with bottle of vodka. Yes one could invent story for this, but it is not common = suspicious." No need to "defense", just showing how absurd is another UK version before they invent new one (like it was done with flowers on the grave, car ventilation system, porridge, something in Yulia Skripal's luggage surely planted by KGB agents in her Moscow flat and so on). We only need to wait until next Trump's visit or Brexit talks to see another  "highly likely" version.

If the UK government had made up this concept wouldn't it have been more credible to use your example and say put it in a toothpaste tube. 

Have you ever traveled outside Russia? Your concept of what happens at airports and traveling is interesting and detached from reality.

Who said the perfume was gift wrap, which would draw attention to it. Someone arriving for an overnight or two day trip would have hand luggage, no hassle with collecting luggage, could take at least an hour of your arrival if not more (first in que). Small bag, smart dress, look litle business type, does not draw attention, not stopped at customs. Even if you are a quick search will show up what? A bottle of perfume not in a packet. Next. No customs as you get on flight but security and as there is no container over 100ml no check.

The only people who have come up with outlandish claims are Russian and Lavrov who is working on his next career as a children's story writer.

#1904 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

Of the Veronica Cartwright Ilk

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 45,970 posts

Posted Today, 05:32 AM

Personally I wonder why the British don't put a "special" spilt bottle of Beefeater's Gin say, in the Kremlin or Lenin's tomb.

You are proposing UK to have nice little war against China after deliberately targeting Chinese tourists, who are 90% of people in this places?

Not deadly old chap, just messy. For a long time. It appears strong-arm tactics is what Putin understands.

So where does randomly poisoning tourists fit in with your version of Christianity Rick? It's been a long time since Sunday school for me, but I don't remember being taught that anything along the lines of "A random tourist for an eye" was OK.

Not even hurtful old chap. No need for the physical harm your thinking. There are chemicals that can stain. There are chemicals that can emit rotten-egg smells.  There are paints that rapidly dry, perfect for graffiti.  Anti-Putin graffiti pictures, a stain that looks like Putin with a red circle and a line through it.  Union Jack decals with aggressive adhesive. Balloons with a map of England on them. Cheap glass vials emitting skunk-like odors with a photo of Putin enclosed. 

Moving on up, is there still that Cold War radio station that broadcasts anti-communism information? Expand it to television and social media. CD's, thumb drives, etc. that contain anti-Putin information/facts. Supporting anti-Putin groups seems like a good idea to me. Upping the ante, there are economic sanctions that are possible; such as not buying Russian exports and refusing international events to them.

I don't worry about foreign affairs as nearly much as many on this Grate Site do, but Russia is not the real threat to the U.S. Liberalism is the main threat to the U.S. Russia and China are way down the list.  If the U.S., the U.K. and the rest of Europe is serious about Russia there are‹actions ‹that can be done if said countries are serious without the brutality Putin likes.  From my view, Putin killed at least two British citizens and nothing of consequence is being done that I know of.   

Wait until someone uses this crap in your country in some non contentious place, like Time Square, or Washington for example. You may think otherwise.

If you tolerate this, you will be next. Its that simple. You think the US will get dispensation just because of what it is? Pearl Harbour and WTC would indicate otherwise.

As for whats being done, we are implimenting a British Magnitsky act. But you can put down the slow pace of it to British Bureaucracy in action. I wouldnt be surprised if they only just got around to repealing the red flag to be carried in front of Automobiles.

No, im not in favour of using it on tourists or innocent people. But in my more lurid moments I think how much fun it would be to smear some of this over the saddle of Putins Presidential Harley Trike. To watch the hard man urinate himself and babble like an idiot in front of hard men has something of a poetic justice to it.

Which is why I'm not overly worried about what Russia doing here what has been done to the U.K. 

Why? :huh:

#1905 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 45,970 posts

Posted Today, 05:38 AM

https://edition.cnn....intl/index.html

London (CNN)British police have identified two suspects in the poisoning of former Russian double agent Sergei Skripal and his daughter Yulia, a source with knowledge of the investigation told CNN Thursday.

The source said investigators have been combing through months of surveillance camera footage from UK airports and from Salisbury, where the Skripals were poisoned in an attack the British government blames on Russia.
Using facial recognition technology, authorities discovered two "fresh identities" -- individuals not known to have been spies or used in other attacks -- the source added.
Investigators have crosschecked that information with the manifest of the commercial flight on which the suspects were believed to have left Britain soon after the attack in March. Those names were aliases, the source said, and police have not yet revealed them.

Britain's Press Association news agency also reported Thursday that police had identified suspects in the case. London's Metropolitan Police declined to comment.

#1906 Briganza

Briganza

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,318 posts
  • Interests:armour and infantry

Posted Today, 05:59 AM

https://edition.cnn....intl/index.html

London (CNN)British police have identified two suspects in the poisoning of former Russian double agent Sergei Skripal and his daughter Yulia, a source with knowledge of the investigation told CNN Thursday.

The source said investigators have been combing through months of surveillance camera footage from UK airports and from Salisbury, where the Skripals were poisoned in an attack the British government blames on Russia.
Using facial recognition technology, authorities discovered two "fresh identities" -- individuals not known to have been spies or used in other attacks -- the source added.
Investigators have crosschecked that information with the manifest of the commercial flight on which the suspects were believed to have left Britain soon after the attack in March. Those names were aliases, the source said, and police have not yet revealed them.

Britain's Press Association news agency also reported Thursday that police had identified suspects in the case. London's Metropolitan Police declined to comment.

Secret EU arrest warrants. Next time they travel outside Russia they may have an interview without coffee in Cyprus.

https://www.telegrap...gland-fan-euro/

Russian hooligan wanted for the “attempted homicide” of an England fan at the 2016 European Championship was arrested on Wednesday following a continent-wide manhunt.

#1907 Roman Alymov

Roman Alymov

• Members
  • 15,622 posts
  • Interests:Tank recovery

Posted Today, 09:56 AM

If the UK government had made up this concept wouldn't it have been more credible to use your example and say put it in a toothpaste tube. 

How often are people walking the streets in UK with a toothpaste tube in pocket?

Have you ever traveled outside Russia? Your concept of what happens at airports and traveling is interesting and detached from reality.

Who said the perfume was gift wrap, which would draw attention to it. Someone arriving for an overnight or two day trip would have hand luggage, no hassle with collecting luggage, could take at least an hour of your arrival if not more (first in que). Small bag, smart dress, look litle business type, does not draw attention, not stopped at customs. Even if you are a quick search will show up what? A bottle of perfume not in a packet. Next. No customs as you get on flight but security and as there is no container over 100ml no check.

Back in 2010 when returning from business trip to London i was stopped in Heathrow by two nice Indian-looking security ladies who told me my back is looking suspicious  for somebody looking on passengers  walking through IR camera - so i spend about 20 minutes with them practicing my English while "authorized person" (white gentlemen) arrived to check my back to find it is really nothing dangerous there except may be trace of backpack. Not some kind of problem for me as regular traveler, but surely not the kind of attention person on clandestine mission would want.

#1908 JWB

JWB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6,663 posts
  • Interests:everything (almost)

Posted Today, 10:51 AM

How often are people walking the streets in UK with a toothpaste tube in pocket?

Back in 2010 when returning from business trip to London i was stopped in Heathrow by two nice Indian-looking security ladies who told me my back is looking suspicious  for somebody looking on passengers  walking through IR camera - so i spend about 20 minutes with them practicing my English while "authorized person" (white gentlemen) arrived to check my back to find it is really nothing dangerous there except may be trace of backpack. Not some kind of problem for me as regular traveler, but surely not the kind of attention person on clandestine mission would want.

Did they search you for a tiny vial?

#1909 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 45,970 posts

Posted Today, 12:00 PM

Did they search you for a tiny vial?

A Golden Gun is my guess. :)

#1910 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 45,970 posts

Posted Today, 01:44 PM

An ex British Army intelligence officer made a good point. He said he rather doubted it was a perfume bottle, because that would create an aerosol and that would require full protective kit. He also said at a minimum you would want gloves, and speculate that may be what the guys in full protective kit are doing in Queen Elizabeth Park in Salisbury.

https://www.theguard...sited-by-couple

#1911 Roman Alymov

Roman Alymov

• Members
  • 15,622 posts
  • Interests:Tank recovery

Posted Today, 02:11 PM

An ex British Army intelligence officer made a good point. He said he rather doubted it was a perfume bottle, because that would create an aerosol and that would require full protective kit. He also said at a minimum you would want gloves, and speculate that may be what the guys in full protective kit are doing in Queen Elizabeth Park in Salisbury.

Excellent, not only me saying perfume bottle is hardly suitable for the purpose (not mentioning not matching previous British claims). Waiting for new versions to come.

Who said the perfume was gift wrap, which would draw attention to it.

One of our fellow Forum Members: "Or in a box as a gift. Diplomatic bag would probably bring more scrutiny and contact with the embassy staff who may be under surveillance... Private citizen bringing in gift-wrapped perfume? No problem at all." Quite logical in theory, as unwrapped bottle prone to curious customs officer spraying it duting random check, with all consequences attached.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users