12 replies to this topic

#1 Josh

Josh

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14,281 posts

Posted 25 June 2019 - 0839 AM

Apparently this program is being rapidly prototyped. The initial test shape has flown on a B-52 to test vibration and areodynamic characteristics, with IOC rather optimistically stated as being 2022.

Since there is no information concerning the system that I can find outside the basic fact it is a boost/glide type hypersonic, I wanted to open the floor to wild speculation. Predecessors? Guidance? Target set? In regards to the former, it seems like a very wide body missile. The B-52 carrying it looks to have had its port heavy stores beam modified with two unique hard points to carry the weapon, with only one carry point occupied. That seems to point to weight/clearance/separation issues that would limit it four weapons in an operational configuration. The missile itself is very wide and I suspect is not a custom build - the Russians and later Israelis rapidly introduced high speed weapons by co-opting high speed ground based artillery. But the US has no such weapons. Available pictures of the test object look faintly like they might be based on GBM or Minotaur I/II family, themselves derived from Minuteman III. In this case I'd venture the second stage motor - thoughts?

#2 JasonJ

JasonJ

nonbiri

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10,611 posts
  • Interests:sleeping

Posted 25 June 2019 - 0945 AM

So I guess we don't know if it can attack only ground targets or also sea targets? Maybe optional low field nuke version is possible down the road?

#3 EchoFiveMike

EchoFiveMike

I offer safe passage through the wasteland

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11,770 posts
  • Interests:Killing, killing is the solution!

Posted 25 June 2019 - 1011 AM

Why not go back to the AGM-28 Hound Dog missile envelope//pylon?  10K lbs weight, 40ft length.  S/F....Ken M

#4 Josh

Josh

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14,281 posts

Posted 25 June 2019 - 1016 AM

So I guess we don't know if it can attack only ground targets or also sea targets? Maybe optional low field nuke version is possible down the road?

I think sea targets would be a much lower priority, especially for the USAF. Even the USN wasn't especially concerned with anti-surface until recently. Plus I think terminal guidance against moving targets will be *far* more challenging than hitting static targets which could just involve GPS/INS guidance. I don't see any reason why nukes would be useful unless you share the Russians' paranoia concerning ABM defenses.

#5 Josh

Josh

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14,281 posts

Posted 25 June 2019 - 1018 AM

Why not go back to the AGM-28 Hound Dog missile envelope//pylon?  10K lbs weight, 40ft length.  S/F....Ken M

The goal is a conventional weapon with precision and extreme speed and altitude. Hound Dog doesn't fulfill that requirement.

#6 Brian Kennedy

Brian Kennedy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5,233 posts

Posted 25 June 2019 - 1020 AM

Big feature story in the nytimes https://www.nytimes....c-missiles.html

#7 EchoFiveMike

EchoFiveMike

I offer safe passage through the wasteland

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11,770 posts
  • Interests:Killing, killing is the solution!

Posted 25 June 2019 - 1021 AM

^ I mean that size frame, not the exact missile.  Less legitimate qualification stuff, as well as reduced bullshit pogue paperwork and opportunity for waste fraud and abuse.  S/F....Ken M 

#8 Josh

Josh

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14,281 posts

Posted 25 June 2019 - 1024 AM

^ I mean that size frame, not the exact missile.  Less legitimate qualification stuff, as well as reduced bullshit pogue paperwork and opportunity for waste fraud and abuse.  S/F....Ken M 

I don't see what that would buy you - if its a different missile using a different motor, you'd still have different CoG and such. It would still be completely different certifications, captive carries, etc. I suspect the project does use a current missile as its basis to save time and design work, but I think it is something much more modern and solid fueled that hasn't previously been air launched.

#9 lastdingo

lastdingo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4,629 posts

Posted 25 June 2019 - 1522 PM

They keep trying, and so far they only wasted money.

https://fas.org/man/...rt/hystrike.htm

#10 Kenneth P. Katz

Kenneth P. Katz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11,678 posts
  • Interests:Miltary history and technology, flying, wargaming

Posted 08 July 2019 - 2311 PM

Yes

I don't see what that would buy you - if its a different missile using a different motor, you'd still have different CoG and such. It would still be completely different certifications, captive carries, etc. I suspect the project does use a current missile as its basis to save time and design work, but I think it is something much more modern and solid fueled that hasn't previously been air launched.

#11 Kenneth P. Katz

Kenneth P. Katz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11,678 posts
  • Interests:Miltary history and technology, flying, wargaming

Posted 08 July 2019 - 2311 PM

Hanging things on airplanes is more difficult than you seem to think.

#12 Dawes

Dawes

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,572 posts

Posted 09 July 2019 - 1910 PM

USAF has an entire program (Seek Eagle) to insure that munitions separate cleanly from the aircraft without causing damage. There's various YouTube videos that show munitions porpoising back in the airstream and impacting the aircraft. 

#13 Josh

Josh

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14,281 posts

Posted 10 July 2019 - 0001 AM

You know you're an aircraft nerd when you hear 'separation issues', and instead of thinking of your child or last girlfriend, you ponder if the next B-61 mod 12 will work out:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users