https://www.cnn.com/...raid/index.html

#2 Murph

Murph

Hierophant Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,214 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 1958 PM

Yep, lying is what gets cops in trouble.

#3 rmgill

rmgill

Strap-hanger

• Members
  • 22,886 posts
  • Interests:WWII Armor, Ferrets, Dingos, Humbers, etc...

Posted 20 February 2019 - 0106 AM

If the warrant was obtained through false pretext and lies, doesn't that make the warrant invalid? At some point such technicalities should result in penalties for their violation. 

#4 Murph

Murph

Hierophant Lord

• Members
  • 17,214 posts

Posted 20 February 2019 - 0606 AM

If the warrant was obtained through false pretext and lies, doesn't that make the warrant invalid? At some point such technicalities should result in penalties for their violation. 

Absolutely it does.  And it opens up the one who got the false warrant for a charge of Capital Murder.  You never lie on a search warrant affidavit in Texas (that is the right and tactics of the FBI, and they get pissed if you steal their tactics), and if you do the consequences are bad, really, really bad for you professionally.  He will most likely get charged, possibly with the minimum Aggravated Perjury (kiss your career goodbye), and up to Capital Murder since two people were killed.  It all depends on the prosecutor and in Houston, I see a murder charge in this guys future.

#5 Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe

Now is the winter of our discontent

• Members
  • 31,474 posts
  • Interests:military technology, military history, weapon systems, management/organizational design, early American history

Posted 20 February 2019 - 0719 AM

I would like to see the judge who issued the warrant do at least 20. If you're going to be a judge, you should have enough world experience and common sense to know that a no-knock warrant based solely on the word of a CI is essentially a death warrant for the occupants. 

#6 Murph

Murph

Hierophant Lord

• Members
  • 17,214 posts

Posted 20 February 2019 - 0730 AM

I would like to see the judge who issued the warrant do at least 20. If you're going to be a judge, you should have enough world experience and common sense to know that a no-knock warrant based solely on the word of a CI is essentially a death warrant for the occupants. 

It depends on if they have to get their warrants passed through a prosecutor.  We do, every warrant I have written has been reviewed by one of the ADAs and approved by them before I take it to a judge.  We only use certain ADAs, the ones we know are hard and tough on warrants, so that we don't lose in court.  In over 15 years as an investigator by doing that I have never had a warrant tossed, or even questioned by a defense lawyer.  Even the warrant I got issued to have a guys penis swabbed for an STD check (he gave two kids 6 and 8 anal chlamydia).  If you lie on an affidavit you deserve what you get, lying on search warrant affidavits is the purvue of the FBI.

#7 Detonable

Detonable

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 927 posts

Posted 22 February 2019 - 0728 AM

It did suggest there was cocaine or fentanyl on the property but the amount wasnt stated. It could simply have been for personal use.

How do we know the informants didnt work with the officer, and how did he come up with the address? Theres a lot that isnt reported here.

#8 Murph

Murph

Hierophant Lord

• Members
  • 17,214 posts

Posted 22 February 2019 - 1102 AM

It did suggest there was cocaine or fentanyl on the property but the amount wasnt stated. It could simply have been for personal use.

How do we know the informants didnt work with the officer, and how did he come up with the address? Theres a lot that isnt reported here.

Very true.  Lots  of times the narcs don't know that amount, but that there are drugs on site. I don't now, and never have worked narcotics, I have spent my career staying as far away from Narcotics as I could, so I am not an expert on Narcs.

#9 Markus Becker

Markus Becker

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,299 posts

Posted 22 February 2019 - 1612 PM

Absolutely it does.  And it opens up the one who got the false warrant for a charge of Capital Murder.  You never lie on a search warrant affidavit in Texas (that is the right and tactics of the FBI, and they get pissed if you steal their tactics), and if you do the consequences are bad, really, really bad for you professionally.  He will most likely get charged, possibly with the minimum Aggravated Perjury (kiss your career goodbye), and up to Capital Murder since two people were killed.  It all depends on the prosecutor and in Houston, I see a murder charge in this guys future.

Huh??

PS: What's so particularly bad about workingin nacrotics?

Edited by Markus Becker, 22 February 2019 - 1613 PM.

#10 NickM

NickM

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,917 posts
  • Interests:Military history, computer sims, my daughter

Posted 22 February 2019 - 2001 PM

How about the 'attempted murder of Cop' by an Illegal Alien who was thrice deported & protected from ICE by local 'powers that be':

https://www.breitbar...o-kill-officer/

Fortunately he's rather dead now.

#11 Sardaukar

Sardaukar

Cynical Finnish Elk Eating Ilk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9,601 posts
  • Interests:military, martial arts, wargames, literature

Posted 23 February 2019 - 0301 AM

Huh??

PS: What's so particularly bad about workingin nacrotics?

Getting shot by cartel? Corrupted partners maybe? Just couple of things.

#12 Markus Becker

Markus Becker

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,299 posts

Posted 23 February 2019 - 0744 AM

Yes, but Murph is in Texas, not Mexico.

#13 Murph

Murph

Hierophant Lord

• Members
  • 17,214 posts

Posted 23 February 2019 - 1000 AM

I just never wanted to work Narcotics, sort of if you roll in the mud long enough.....   Plus I could never, ever, in my wildest dreams pull off the persona necessary to be a successful street narc, I am to straight, white, and middle class.

#14 Markus Becker

Markus Becker

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,299 posts

Posted 23 February 2019 - 1617 PM

Plus I could never, ever, in my wildest dreams pull off the persona necessary to be a successful street narc, I am to straight, white, and middle class.

Sounds to me like the banker/lawyer type who wants to buy some coke for the weekend.  ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users