• Please log in to reply
5903 replies to this topic

#5901 Rick

Rick

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,331 posts

Posted Yesterday, 05:21 AM

From this ex-sailor's  perspective, it seems to me while briefly looking at some of the sources of information available, is that NATO was a step behind the Red Army in the tank gun vs armor contest during the time period of 1946 until the introduction of the Leopard 2 and the M1 with the 120mm gun.

#5902 GARGEAN

GARGEAN

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,846 posts

Posted Yesterday, 06:07 AM

From this ex-sailor's  perspective, it seems to me while briefly looking at some of the sources of information available, is that NATO was a step behind the Red Army in the tank gun vs armor contest during the time period of 1946 until the introduction of the Leopard 2 and the M1 with the 120mm gun.

Opposite is fair too.

#5903 Rick

Rick

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,331 posts

Posted Yesterday, 06:56 AM

Opposite is fair too.

I did mean it both ways, the Red Army had an advantage both ways in gun vs armor and armor vs gun against NATO.  Apologies for the wording. 

#5904 Roman Alymov

Roman Alymov

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,043 posts
  • Interests:Tank recovery

Posted Yesterday, 07:20 AM

Fascinating operation. James Bond and Mission Impossible were not so far off with all their spy gadgets.

One of episodes soviet series "State border" was dedicated to this operation (well, sort of  - "artist's view") but it was very Soviet-style, lots  of walking and talking, little 007-style action
Part 1

Part 2

Then the T-80 would have had to be driving along the rail line. I suspect it was a spy taking some pictures and smuggling them somehow out of the USSR.

Road parallel to rail line is quite common in former USSR

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users