8 replies to this topic

#1 Dawes

Dawes

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,950 posts

Posted 16 March 2018 - 1310 PM

Obviously any new aircraft will have teething problems to some extent. But if they're having this many issues on an aircraft based on a 30-year old airliner design, then the B-21 bomber would seem to be a debacle waiting to happen:

https://www.defensen...st-of-problems/

#2 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

Novichok is the New Black

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 44,101 posts

Posted 16 March 2018 - 1322 PM

Bet they wish they had bought an Airbus. I notice the RAF dont seem to be having many problems with Voyager.

#3 Dawes

Dawes

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,950 posts

Posted 16 March 2018 - 1328 PM

IIRC, the USAF actually selected the Airbus KC-45 but were shot down by Congress or other entities.

#4 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

Novichok is the New Black

• Members
  • 44,101 posts

Posted 16 March 2018 - 1352 PM

Thats what I meant.:) I mean, there is nothing Congress doesn't know about defence procurement. :D

#5 Special-K

Special-K

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 714 posts
  • Interests:All things military, Shooting, Cycling, Hiking and Camping.

Posted 16 March 2018 - 1427 PM

I think Boeing successfully protested the selection, saying their 767 based offering more closely matched the Air Force's request.  

I really don't understand why this is so difficult though - I would have thought this should have been relatively easy to do.

-K

#6 Dawes

Dawes

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,950 posts

Posted 16 March 2018 - 1451 PM

For those with the time and/or interest, this was the GAO's official protest decision:

https://www.gao.gov/.../390/383299.pdf

#7 shep854

shep854

• Members
  • 18,564 posts
  • Interests:Military History, Aviation

Posted 16 March 2018 - 1637 PM

The problems seem to be with add-on bits, not the aircraft itself.  Having an Air National Guard tanker unit here in BHM, I have spoken with pilots who also fly for airlines for a real job.  Some fly Airbus jets, but they are adamant that they preferred the Boeing offering.

Remember as well, that Airbus has had its own share of headaches with their products.

#8 Chris Werb

Chris Werb

In Zod We Trust

• Members
  • 21,651 posts
  • Interests:But it's got electrolytes! They're what plants crave!

Posted 16 March 2018 - 2144 PM

Bet they wish they had bought an Airbus. I notice the RAF dont seem to be having many problems with Voyager.

We did seriously screw up by ordering a spec. that was far less than what we needed though - a bit of a debacle even factoring out the extraordinary waste of time and money PFI bollocks. 

#9 Karl Streed

Karl Streed

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts
  • Interests:Armor, Jeeps, Target shooting

Posted 17 March 2018 - 2347 PM

Years ago we tried to make a roll on/roll off helicopter refueling system for the C-130 using existing system components.  Everything seemed to work well until the helicopter tried to get into the refueling position which is when we found out the turbulence from having the lower ramp slightly lowered prevented contact with the basket.  If we had modified the upper ramp door so the lower ramp did not have to be lowered the turbulence was manageable. We were trying to make a kit that could be put into any C-130 without any modifications so you didn't have to have dedicated tankers.  It also would have made stealth tankers in that any trash hauler could actually be a special ops tanker.  It was a good idea but failed in the end.  

Taking things that work and modifying them with things from other aircraft sounds good but there are often hidden problems that do not show up until you actually try them.  Computer modeling helps but full size testing often uncovers problems.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users