• Please log in to reply
8125 replies to this topic

#8121 Rick

Rick

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4,481 posts

Posted 02 February 2020 - 0619 AM

Concerning the Norway -- U.S. exercises. The U.S., AFAIK the Marines, have been doing this for awhile. My very limited understanding is that the U.S.M.C forces were "speed bumps" vs the Soviet Army with Norwegian and U.K. light infantry forces doing there work in the hills and mountains. Is this correct?

#8122 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

Just Another Salisbury Tourist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 56,780 posts

Posted 02 February 2020 - 1349 PM

It was the other way around, 3 commando, the Norwegians, and any NATO mobile forces were to hold the line till the USMC deployed and pushed the Soviets back. They had a big cave of prepositioned equipment in a Norwegian cave.

It's disappointing. I assume Iran played a role.

#8123 Chris Werb

Chris Werb

In Zod We Trust

• Staff
  • PipPip
  • 11,177 posts

Posted 04 February 2020 - 1641 PM

It was the other way around, 3 commando, the Norwegians, and any NATO mobile forces were to hold the line till the USMC deployed and pushed the Soviets back. They had a big cave of prepositioned equipment in a Norwegian cave.

They still do and the current plan is much the same - the difference is that the Norwegians now allow them to base rotational units on their soil (or rock!). If you look at Norway, there is even less chance of their achieving maritime superiority for flanking landings than there was then, in which case, unless cutting through Finland, the Russians would have to follow a very predictable and easily interdicted route to advance. 

#8124 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 56,780 posts

Posted 05 February 2020 - 0323 AM

Yes, I dont disagree.

Personally Id worry more about Finland than Norway. The strategic reasoning for the war against Finland in 1939 still exists, more so as they edge closer and closer to the West.

#8125 Chris Werb

Chris Werb

In Zod We Trust

• Staff
  • PipPip
  • 11,177 posts

Posted 11 February 2020 - 1348 PM

Yes, I dont disagree.

Personally Id worry more about Finland than Norway. The strategic reasoning for the war against Finland in 1939 still exists, more so as they edge closer and closer to the West.

Remember what happened the last two times they took on the Finns. In relative terms Finland is probably much better prepared now than it was prior to the Winter War.

#8126 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 56,780 posts

Posted 11 February 2020 - 1403 PM

So is Russia. :D