The Middle East War

• Please log in to reply
719 replies to this topic

#1 Simon Tan

Simon Tan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,214 posts
  • Interests:tanks. More tanks. Guns. BIG GUNs!

Posted 22 June 2015 - 0641 AM

I think it is essential to view the various conflicts spanning from North Africa to Afghanistan as a series of interrelated struggles given that the various combatants are essentially allied to a greater or lesser extent.

From West to East;-

Libya - Assorted groups, 'governments' and militias supported variously by IS, AQ, Saudi, Turkey, Qatar, Egypt, the US, EU, Algeria, Tunisia & Morocco
Mali - Loosely tied to Libyan conflict, this involves IS, AQ, Libyan factions, France, the EU, Chad etc.
Egypt - Saudi backed Sisi government vs IS and Muslim Bortherhood (supported by Qatar & Turkey. Heavy fighting in Sinai.
Gaza - Hamas (backed by Iran) vs Israel and a little IS.
Lebanon - Hezbollah fighting FSA, IS and in tenuous cooperation w. Lebanese Army (backed by US, Saudi etc.)
Syria - Many cornered fight with 5 main factions;- Assad government (Iran, Russia) vs. FSA (GCC, US, EU) vs. al Nusra (GCC, Turkey) vs. IS (Qatar, Turkey) vs. YPG (US, KRG, PKK, EU)
Iraq - Baghdad Govt. (US, Iran) w. Hashid Shaabi (Iran), loosely allied to KRG (US, EU) vs. IS (Turkey, Qatar)
Yemen - Hadi gov. (Saudi, GCC, Egypt, US) vs. Houthi + Salleh (Iran, ?) -
Afghanistan is loosely linked to this war, in part through Afghan mercenaries being raised for operations in Iraq.

It's a real top quality mess.

#2 WRW

WRW

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,766 posts
  • Interests:OOB, Military Technology, Terrorism, Counter Insurgency, C4I

Posted 22 June 2015 - 0734 AM

If escalation can hold off for two weeks - I will then be home. Wife, good basement, full refridgerator, wide TV

#3 urbanoid

urbanoid

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5,289 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 0736 AM

If escalation can hold off for two weeks - I will then be home. Wife, good basement, full refridgerator, wide TV

Priorities of a true Austrian! ^_^

#4 WRW

WRW

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,766 posts
  • Interests:OOB, Military Technology, Terrorism, Counter Insurgency, C4I

Posted 22 June 2015 - 0826 AM

Priorities of a true Austrian! ^_^

Am Irish - have just had the place renovated and want to check it out

Edited by WRW, 22 June 2015 - 0842 AM.

#5 BansheeOne

BansheeOne

Bullshit filter overload, venting into civility charger

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13,761 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 1009 AM

Gaza - Hamas (backed by Iran)

They lost that when they came out for the Sunni side in Syria. Unless they have made up lately; I thought their HQ was still in Qatar after they moved out of Damascus, but now I find they went on to Turkey early this year when Qatar's ties with the Saudis tightened.

#6 RETAC21

RETAC21

A la lealtad y al valor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13,371 posts
  • Interests:Military history in general

Posted 22 June 2015 - 1222 PM

I think it is essential to view the various conflicts spanning from North Africa to Afghanistan as a series of interrelated struggles given that the various combatants are essentially allied to a greater or lesser extent.

From West to East;-

Libya - Assorted groups, 'governments' and militias supported variously by IS, AQ, Saudi, Turkey, Qatar, Egypt, the US, EU, Algeria, Tunisia & Morocco
Mali - Loosely tied to Libyan conflict, this involves IS, AQ, Libyan factions, France, the EU, Chad etc.
Egypt - Saudi backed Sisi government vs IS and Muslim Bortherhood (supported by Qatar & Turkey. Heavy fighting in Sinai.
Lebanon - Hezbollah fighting FSA, IS and in tenuous cooperation w. Lebanese Army (backed by US, Saudi etc.)
Syria - Many cornered fight with 5 main factions;- Assad government (Iran, Russia) vs. FSA (GCC, US, EU) vs. al Nusra (GCC, Turkey) vs. IS (Qatar, Turkey) vs. YPG (US, KRG, PKK, EU)
Iraq - Baghdad Govt. (US, Iran) w. Hashid Shaabi (Iran), loosely allied to KRG (US, EU) vs. IS (Turkey, Qatar)
Afghanistan is loosely linked to this war, in part through Afghan mercenaries being raised for operations in Iraq.

You forgot Algeria where much of this started back in the day. They are unlikely to be related in anything but "the enemy of my enemy is my friend"

#7 Colin

Colin

• Members
  • 16,655 posts
  • Interests:tanks, old and new AFV's, Landrovers, diving, hovercrafts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 1403 PM

Mali and Libya are a bit of a stretch to fit into the ME. How about the " Pan Africa-ME Crescent of Islamic wars" 

#8 Josh

Josh

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13,984 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 1459 PM

We can rename the region the Fatal Crescent.

#9 Corinthian

Corinthian

Stone Age Bitter Delusional Retard

• Members
  • 21,292 posts
  • Interests:Wholesome stuff.

Posted 22 June 2015 - 1803 PM

Mali and Libya are a bit of a stretch to fit into the ME. How about the " Pan Africa-ME Crescent of Islamic wars" 

The Fuck-Shit Region.

#10 crazyinsane105

crazyinsane105

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,602 posts

Posted 23 June 2015 - 0038 AM

From West to East;-

And just about every single one of those countries hates the other one just as much, if not more, than the Great Satan. It sure is a mess, but there's very little chance of any of these groups actually uniting and bringing about a regional revolution.

Let's put it this way...the number of foreign fighters who have joined ISIS number in the low tens of thousands. Sounds like a lot...except that there are nearly 150 million plus Arabs living in that region, and about one billion number of Sunni Muslims in total. So the number of folks who are causing trouble is quite small in comparison to the rest of the population, and even smaller since many of these groups are more interested in seizing power in their own territory and can give a s*it about what happens across the border. 

If you ask me, it's just what many countries in Africa went through in the 80s and 90s. 

#11 Simon Tan

Simon Tan

• Members
  • 23,214 posts

Posted 23 June 2015 - 0042 AM

LOL.

#12 ScottBrim

ScottBrim

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 868 posts

Posted 23 June 2015 - 1057 AM

..... It's a real top quality mess.

And just about every single one of those countries hates the other one just as much, if not more, than the Great Satan. It sure is a mess, but there's very little chance of any of these groups actually uniting and bringing about a regional revolution.    ...... If you ask me, it's just what many countries in Africa went through in the 80s and 90s.

How about ..... Ottoman Empire 2.0 ..... except that the great majority of modern Turks would probably recoil in horror at the very thought of being assigned responsibility for putting their region of the Middle East back together again under a Turkish-dominated central authority.  (In other words, 'Good luck with that, Erdogan the Magnificent.')

Edited by ScottBrim, 23 June 2015 - 1102 AM.

#13 bojan

bojan

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11,251 posts
  • Interests:Obscure tanks and guns.
    Obscure facts about well known tanks and guns.
    Obscure historical facts.

Posted 23 June 2015 - 1105 AM

How about ..... Ottoman Empire 2.0 ..... 

Erdogan is actually trying for that, hence support for quite questionable types in Syria.

And do you really think that solution are same guys that have huge share of responsibility for current mess?

#14 Josh

Josh

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13,984 posts

Posted 23 June 2015 - 1112 AM

I'll settle for anyone who wants to jump on that grenade. Though from a really horrible, cynical Western perspective, having every fighting age male engage in grinding combat for the next decade isn't without its benefits.

#15 ScottBrim

ScottBrim

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 868 posts

Posted 23 June 2015 - 1258 PM

How about ..... Ottoman Empire 2.0 ..... 

Erdogan is actually trying for that, hence support for quite questionable types in Syria.

And do you really think that solution are same guys that have huge share of responsibility for current mess?

The moniker "Ottoman Empire 2.0" as used above implies a fundamental question ..... Are Erdogan and the Turks willing to unilaterally send a large ground force into Syria, topple the Assad regime, eject ISIS from Syria, disarm the various other rebel factions in Syria, and then administer the country until some semblance of a civilized society and an effective civil government is reestablished there?

#16 Josh

Josh

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13,984 posts

Posted 23 June 2015 - 1522 PM

The moniker "Ottoman Empire 2.0" as used above implies a fundamental question ..... Are Erdogan and the Turks willing to unilaterally send a large ground force into Syria, topple the Assad regime, eject ISIS from Syria, disarm the various other rebel factions in Syria, and then administer the country until some semblance of a civilized society and an effective civil government is reestablished there?

No. He wants to be recognized as a big stick in the region without having any of the overhead, which would be wildly unpopular in his country even without his recent reversals.

#17 Simon Tan

Simon Tan

• Members
  • 23,214 posts

Posted 23 June 2015 - 1932 PM

Damn those Kurds!

#18 Mr King

Mr King

Fat Body

• Members
  • 18,739 posts

Posted 24 June 2015 - 0120 AM

Posted this in the AFV subforum, might fit better here. It would be beautifully poetic to see the Saudis get embroiled in the same kind of shit they are just too happy to fund and promote. 

#19 X-Files

X-Files

1211st Desantsofter Legion

• Members
  • 29,308 posts

Posted 30 June 2015 - 1322 PM

Yemeni forces launched a Scud missile at a missile base in Saudi Arabia on Tuesday, Yemeni state news agency Saba quoted the military's spokesman as saying.

http://uk.reuters.co...N0P92TC20150629

#20 Josh

Josh

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13,984 posts

Posted 30 June 2015 - 1521 PM

How tragic.

Though if they think that is going to get the Saudis *LESS* involved in their civil war I think they're severely misguided.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users