Dad's Army

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#21 Simon Tan

Simon Tan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,216 posts
  • Interests:tanks. More tanks. Guns. BIG GUNs!

Posted 07 May 2018 - 1921 PM

That was how old ww1 load bearing was worn.

#22 bojan

bojan

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11,253 posts
  • Interests:Obscure tanks and guns.
    Obscure facts about well known tanks and guns.
    Obscure historical facts.

Posted 07 May 2018 - 1940 PM

That was how old ww1 load bearing was worn.

Psst, it is only in the late '90s that we fully finally finished replacing leather webbing with synthetic one...

#23 DB

DB

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11,020 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 0725 AM

I have a 58 pattern belt I bought at Silverman's in about 86. It fit me then...

I suspect it might fit around one thigh now.

Edited by DB, 09 May 2018 - 0725 AM.

#24 Panzermann

Panzermann

REFORGER '79

• Members
  • 15,687 posts

Posted 13 May 2018 - 0732 AM

This webbing in the picture had the great disadvantage of absorbing water and becoming heavy as in Singapore we were often soaked from rain and the environment.

Just wear pajamas and sandals and those unbrella like hats like the Việt Cộng did. Dries quickly, breathes air. ;)

Must be more than a decade now, that I received a letter to hand back my sea bag with my uniforms and helmet and all the other gear. I suspect there was a shortage in uniforms and kit back then with the new fancy just-in-time logistics.  :glare:

As BansheeOne already said only the underwear, T-shirts and socks are kept for hygiene reasons. And the boots and trainers too, because dermatophytes. Oh and the handkerchiefs. Because of uh administrative mistake I still have the neck tie and the fine shoes for the dress uniform. We had to hand over most of our kit after service, but I was part of a detachment to the partner village of my company and we had to attend the local Schützenfest in dress uniform of course. The shoes are actually quite decent and probabaly the cheapest dress shoes one can buy in Germany. Or get for free in my case. :D

I have even more socks, because I inherited the grey wool socks (mine are green) from my late father. For some indiscernable reason he was issued a new set of socks on each reserve training callup.

Edited by Panzermann, 13 May 2018 - 0733 AM.

#25 chino

chino

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,181 posts
  • Interests:S2 Branch & Rifle Platoon Runner

Posted 13 May 2018 - 1142 AM

In Singapore even the helmet is being phased out for something without the beak. In other words, other than the mess tins and jack knife, there is nothing the army really want back.

The new helmet:

885_original_maxresdefault.jpg?143685955

NS_Singapore11.jpg?1

#26 Panzermann

Panzermann

REFORGER '79

• Members
  • 15,687 posts

Posted 13 May 2018 - 1509 PM

Do they plan for broadscale issue of night vision goggles? That is the reason the front is flattened in newer helmet designs to have space for the mounting hardware.

#27 chino

chino

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,181 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 1228 PM

I don't think so. But goggles seem to be in rather common issue.

There's a mix of new and old helmets worn here. The two guys on the right are wearing the new helmets.

singapore-nsmen.jpg

Another view of the new helmet

exercise-naval-diving-unit-ndu-republic-

Edited by chino, 14 May 2018 - 1230 PM.

#28 Dark_Falcon

Dark_Falcon

The Stryker's Friend

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,258 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 0841 AM

Those MP-5s could use a refinish, but they'll all still work.

#29 chino

chino

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,181 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 1315 PM

These are Naval Diving Unit (naval commandos) training with some Indonesian commando unit. Don't normally wear green and least of all helmets, which may explain why they look mint condition. Weapons belong to the Indons.

Compared to the 19yr old kids in the above pictures, these two look like they can actually do some damage.

20120503Kopaska-RSN-030512-MRH-2.jpg

I know a guy in Singapore whom is an ex-national serviceman like many other Singaporeans. But he is a gun nut. He goes to Indonesia to shoot at Indonesian army ranges. He does that several times a year with his other buddies. I'm not certain what they pay for that privilege but they get to shoot many different types of firearms in the Indonesian inventory including their local rifles made by Pindad.

Edited by chino, 15 May 2018 - 1352 PM.

#30 FirstOfFoot

FirstOfFoot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,815 posts
  • Interests:ISSF target rifle

Posted 30 December 2018 - 1748 PM

By 'eck, I wander off for six or seven years, and come back to find all the same faces posting.

Couldn't resist commenting, I've spent this evening clearing cupboard space for firstborn; a full NBC suit, helmet, and respirator heading into the attic to join the rest of my old kit (gathering dust these past thirteen years). Since I left, the boots have changed (and changed colour), the camouflage has changed, the helmet, the webbing, basically everything.

Except the '58 pattern water bottle. That's a keeper, they'll probably still be issuing that in a century's time :)

#31 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

Just Another Salisbury Tourist

• Members
  • 51,509 posts

Posted 31 December 2018 - 0316 AM

:D

Good to see you about FOF.

Keep the NBC suit handy in case you need to go shopping in Salisbury.

#32 bojan

bojan

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11,253 posts
  • Interests:Obscure tanks and guns.
    Obscure facts about well known tanks and guns.
    Obscure historical facts.

Posted 31 December 2018 - 0819 AM

Nice to see you back. :)

#33 RETAC21

RETAC21

A la lealtad y al valor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13,371 posts
  • Interests:Military history in general

Posted 31 December 2018 - 0840 AM

By 'eck, I wander off for six or seven years, and come back to find all the same faces posting.

Couldn't resist commenting, I've spent this evening clearing cupboard space for firstborn; a full NBC suit, helmet, and respirator heading into the attic to join the rest of my old kit (gathering dust these past thirteen years). Since I left, the boots have changed (and changed colour), the camouflage has changed, the helmet, the webbing, basically everything.

Except the '58 pattern water bottle. That's a keeper, they'll probably still be issuing that in a century's time :)

Congratulations!

#34 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

Just Another Salisbury Tourist

• Members
  • 51,509 posts

Posted 31 December 2018 - 1019 AM

Yes, im forgetting my manners. Congratulations!

#35 bd1

bd1

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,058 posts

Posted 31 December 2018 - 2009 PM

if he/she´s still in diapers, the NBC suit-respirator  should come handy. and on such case, congrats!

Edited by bd1, 31 December 2018 - 2010 PM.

#36 DougRichards

DougRichards

Doug Richards

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9,946 posts
  • Interests:Degree in History and Politics. Interests are Military History, military models,

Posted 31 December 2018 - 2121 PM

Anyone else worn a football helmet for more than one or two games?  Back in the 80s they were heavy as.

6152337-football-helmet-and-shoulder-pad

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users