24 replies to this topic

#21 Tim the Tank Nut

Tim the Tank Nut

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5,055 posts
  • Interests:WW2 Armor (mostly US)

Posted 19 April 2018 - 1641 PM

so when doing real training in actual service how bad is the breakage rate?  I was killing myself trying to make 70 year old equipment operate like new (which is why I don't to it any more) but General Irzyk said that "shit broke all the time, we just had better maintenance people" than anyone else.

I'd think that the M1 tanks now are mostly pretty worn with more hours of operation than any Sherman that ever existed.

Is keeping it all working the nightmare that I think it is?

What was it like in the '70's?  I know the Starship was a turd from day one but the M60 was mechanically robust...

#22 Paul G.

Paul G.

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6,741 posts

Posted Yesterday, 10:35 PM

Well, technically speaking in my limited time as an M1IP platoon leader I guess I was only ever "playing at war", as in training sans actual combat.

#23 Tim the Tank Nut

Tim the Tank Nut

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5,055 posts
  • Interests:WW2 Armor (mostly US)

Posted Today, 08:28 AM

but did the tanks break every time they rolled or were they pretty reliable?

How much maintenance does a 25 year old tank need?

#24 wlewisiii

wlewisiii

Crunchie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted Today, 09:27 AM

When I was in Germany with 13th Tank we had M-60A3's that were either new manufacture or so utterly overhauled they might as well be new. They were rock reliable generally speaking - the tracks had their wear issues (funny to watch the tank ahead of you unspool it's right hand track and roll all the way off of it while going down the autobahn. Thankfully no German's weaving in and out of the column at the time!) 

Got to Ft. Riley and the well worn M-60A1 RISE tanks. Honestly, as long as the -10 maintenance and higher service was done on time, they were OK. Going to the coincidence rangefinder after being trained on lasing sucked and the packs needed replacement somewhat more often because metal shavings showed up in the oil samples more frequently than overseas. 

I was a Loader/Driver & was training for Gunner when I left active duty to become Infantry in the Guard - no tanks close enough for drilling. Given the grim nature of the M113's we had sometimes (till we got the A3's) I imagine those old M-60's would have been in much rougher shape. Looking back I should have stayed in, gone back to Germany and transitioned to M-1s  :mellow:

#25 rmgill

rmgill

Strap-hanger

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,941 posts
  • Interests:WWII Armor, Ferrets, Dingos, Humbers, etc...

Posted Today, 11:02 AM

I think one of the things of getting a system to be more reliable is the crew better understanding what is and is not the issues that need looking at.

In the case of our Humber there's a bit of a warning about over greasing the water pump. That can pop the seal into the water side of the housing. That's not as bad an issue as UNDER greasing it, which we apparently did. We were setting up to go to FIG and I noted a faint rumbling sound coming from the engine bay. Upon closer inspection it was clearly coming from the water pump. Checking it by hand, the bearings had endplay and side to side play, so clearly, bearings are on the way out. 

Dismantling the pump determined that the issue was clearly not enough grease for the bearings. The manual says grease it every 1000 miles with a turn of a threaded cap that forces grease into the pump housing. It had never had enough grease added in the first place. 

Tim, I think some of the issues with our old stuff is how infrequently it gets used. If it's not run well every 2-3 months lubricants tend to not be where they need to be and seals tend to not work as well, which leads to problems that make a mess when they let go. 

Edited by rmgill, Today, 11:04 AM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users