#21 Interlinked

Interlinked

Crunchie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 54 posts
  • Interests:Cold war era tanks

Posted 19 March 2018 - 0138 AM

Andrei, from what I can tell, the T-64/A turret was cast with cavities in the cheeks to add aluminium alloy later, but what was done to cast the T-72A turret? I heard here on Tank-Net once that the filler was poured in through small holes on top of the cheeks, but that never made sense to me because some casting material like casting sand/moulding sand must be used to form the cavity, and then it must be removed before the filler is poured in. Since the cavities are fully enclosed, it seems difficult or almost impossible to get the casting material out of the cavities except through those small holes, so the casting material must also be the filler.

I'm just thinking aloud, really, so please correct me if I'm wrong.

According to Zaloga's book a number of solutions were tried.  Steel with aluminum filler, steel with aluminum filler with corundum spheres, corundum filler, and I have seen reference to spaced arrays of high hardness steel also.  The turret armor composition does not necessarily correspond with which model of T-64 it is either; the composition changed during production, and some were also retrofitted with newer armor fill.

The T-64 program was basically a mess, though for a brief time it was indisputably the most advanced tank in the world.

Useful info, thanks, but I am specifically referring to the common "Kvartz" turret.

#22 KV7

KV7

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 1036 AM

Apparently the filler was cast with the three rods protruding, which fixed them in place when the steel was cast around them - then the protruding rods were cut off and smoothed down to the casting surface.  See pic:

https://imgur.com/a/FfncE

Edited by KV7, 19 March 2018 - 1055 AM.

#23 Interlinked

Interlinked

Crunchie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 54 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 1233 PM

I see. Is there any published literature describing this in detail or some source for that pic? Looks very interesting.

#24 KV7

KV7

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 2040 PM

I see. Is there any published literature describing this in detail or some source for that pic? Looks very interesting.

Sorry I have no references for you.

#25 Harkonnen

Harkonnen

Andrei

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,374 posts
  • Interests:Tanks, Art, history

Posted 21 March 2018 - 1822 PM

Andrei, from what I can tell, the T-64/A turret was cast with cavities in the cheeks to add aluminium alloy later, but what was done to cast the T-72A turret? I heard here on Tank-Net once that the filler was poured in through small holes on top of the cheeks, but that never made sense to me because some casting material like casting sand/moulding sand must be used to form the cavity, and then it must be removed before the filler is poured in. Since the cavities are fully enclosed, it seems difficult or almost impossible to get the casting material out of the cavities except through those small holes, so the casting material must also be the filler.

I'm just thinking aloud, really, so please correct me if I'm wrong.

No, T-64A it was ceramic fixed in metal wire "cages". Than turret base were cast over fixed ceramic array.

A description is availible in russian http://btvt.info/5li...shnja_shari.htm

#26 Interlinked

Interlinked

Crunchie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 54 posts

Posted 22 March 2018 - 0543 AM

No, T-64A it was ceramic fixed in metal wire "cages". Than turret base were cast over fixed ceramic array.

Sorry, I guess I wasn't clear enough. I was referring to the early T-64/A turret with only an aluminium filler, not the later version with the ceramic balls in aluminium. BTW, do you have info on the T-72A turret?

#27 Harkonnen

Harkonnen

Andrei

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,374 posts
  • Interests:Tanks, Art, history

Posted 22 March 2018 - 1256 PM

Sorry, I guess I wasn't clear enough. I was referring to the early T-64/A turret with only an aluminium filler, not the later version with the ceramic balls in aluminium. BTW, do you have info on the T-72A turret?

If so it is T-64, not 64A.

Turret was cast with cavities in the cheeks to add aluminium alloy later,  these cavities were formed by "rods" as written in the article (number 3 on the picture)

It was coquille-sand casting.

#28 Bichri001

Bichri001

Crunchie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 1558 PM

What is the purpose of this thing?

silverthing.jpg

I understand that the grey cover rotates, but what are the buttons for?

#29 Interlinked

Interlinked

Crunchie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 54 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 2331 PM

Autoloader control for MZ autoloader. It enables the commander to operate the autoloader in the semi-automatic mode.

mz%2Bautoloader%2Bdial.png

Edited by Interlinked, 25 March 2018 - 0057 AM.

#30 Bichri001

Bichri001

Crunchie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 25 March 2018 - 0547 AM

Thank you!

So, if I understand correctly, gunner has controls for the automatic operation of the MZ and commander has controls for semi-automatic mode and controls for the reloading and replenishing the MZ?

#31 Stefan Kotsch

Stefan Kotsch

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 688 posts
  • Interests:Tanks - fire control, guns, ammo, autoloader

Posted 25 March 2018 - 0719 AM

This is at the heart of the matter, there is the fully automatic (main) mode. Then, for filling and emptying of the autoloader magazine the operating must also be manually operable. And three,if the automatic system fails, it must also be possible to operate the device manually. This task falls to the commander.

By the way, the rotating disc should ensure that the steps are carried out in the correct order.

#32 Bichri001

Bichri001

Crunchie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 25 March 2018 - 0901 AM

So, what exactly is commander doing with the rotating disc in this video?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users