14 replies to this topic

#1 Allan Wotherspoon

Allan Wotherspoon

Radamanthine

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,569 posts

Posted 17 May 2020 - 1632 PM

The news is reporting that one of the RCAF Snowbirds crashed on take-off at Kamloops, BC.  The pilot or pilots ejected, but their condition is unknown.  There is video of the incident.

https://twitter.com/...103067354259457

https://twitter.com/...7354259457?s=20

#2 Colin

Colin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,248 posts

Posted 17 May 2020 - 1721 PM

RIP, word is one pilot deceased, the other injured. People in the house got out ok. I think the Tutor is getting long in the tooth for this sort of stuff.

#3 Allan Wotherspoon

Allan Wotherspoon

Radamanthine

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,569 posts

Posted 17 May 2020 - 1949 PM

The fatality was the public affairs officer for the Snowbirds.  RIP Captain Jennifer Casey.

#4 DougRichards

DougRichards

Doug Richards

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10,675 posts

Posted 17 May 2020 - 2239 PM

Sad.

Both ejected pilot seriously injured and Captain Casey killed.  Makes me wonder how old the design of the ejector seat is.  If the seat dates from the design of the aircraft - effectively late 1950s - ejection would have been hazardous, particularly at low altitudes.  The T-tail also gives a lot of surface to fly into if the seat doesn't fire high enough.

#5 Allan Wotherspoon

Allan Wotherspoon

Radamanthine

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,569 posts

Posted 17 May 2020 - 2324 PM

Sad.

Both ejected pilot seriously injured and Captain Casey killed.  Makes me wonder how old the design of the ejector seat is.  If the seat dates from the design of the aircraft - effectively late 1950s - ejection would have been hazardous, particularly at low altitudes.  The T-tail also gives a lot of surface to fly into if the seat doesn't fire high enough.

Watching the video, it looks like both crew ejected, but they were outside of the ejection envelope.  The aircraft was nose down, losing altitude fast and close to the ground.  That's a tough place to be in any seat.

#6 MiloMorai

MiloMorai

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4,548 posts

Posted 18 May 2020 - 0821 AM

In '76 had a friend from high school die, as did the trainee pilot, in a similar accident with a Tudor when it sucked in a duck taking off.

RIP Capt. Casey.

#7 JWB

JWB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8,203 posts

Posted 18 May 2020 - 1130 AM

Waited too long to punch out. Very common error.

#8 Allan Wotherspoon

Allan Wotherspoon

Radamanthine

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,569 posts

Posted 18 May 2020 - 1709 PM

I take it you were perched on the pilot's shoulder and had a bird's eye view of the incident?  From my view, they couldn't have ejected much earlier as they were inverted.  I don't think a second or two would have made a significant difference in the outcome. 

#9 JWB

JWB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8,203 posts

Posted 18 May 2020 - 1947 PM

I take it you were perched on the pilot's shoulder and had a bird's eye view of the incident?  From my view, they couldn't have ejected much earlier as they were inverted.  I don't think a second or two would have made a significant difference in the outcome. 

Inverted eject is impossible in that type?

#10 Allan Wotherspoon

Allan Wotherspoon

Radamanthine

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,569 posts

Posted 18 May 2020 - 2003 PM

As far as I can tell, they still use the Weber CL-41 seat.  It's not a smart seat like the Hawk and Hornet have,

#11 Yama

Yama

Finntroll

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7,299 posts

Posted 19 May 2020 - 0422 AM

I dunno, but chute opening seems to take very long. Newer ejection seats can get you out of crazy pinches:

Kvochur-MiG-29.jpg

Or Lethbridge Hornet crash, chute opens so fast guy shooting the incident misses it.

#12 beans4

beans4

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 19 May 2020 - 1000 AM

I'm wondering if they had even a second longer before the left wing dipped, they'd have punched out then?

#13 JWB

JWB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8,203 posts

Posted 19 May 2020 - 1035 AM

Safety features included an automatic escape system which permits ejection at zero altitude and 90 knots

https://www.globalse...anada/cl-41.htm

Eject system might have malfunctioned. We will have to wait and find out.

#14 Allan Wotherspoon

Allan Wotherspoon

Radamanthine

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,569 posts

Posted 19 May 2020 - 1123 AM

Zero altitude and 90 knots is not the same as nose down with a high sink rate.  When you are dropping like a stone with little in the way of forward airspeed, the seat has a lot to overcome. Don't forget, this is an early 1960's vintage seat.  While it had some upgrading, in no way is it comparable to the latest seats from Martin-Baker or any of the other current manufacturers.

#15 Allan Wotherspoon

Allan Wotherspoon

Radamanthine

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,569 posts

Posted 01 June 2020 - 1208 PM

Preliminary report suggests that the cause of the crash was engine failure due to a bird strike.