179 replies to this topic

#141 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

Of the Veronica Cartwright Ilk

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 47,582 posts

Posted 16 December 2017 - 0908 AM

Got a sneaking suspicion these guys do a big scale Centurion. Good find, very interesting indeed.

Company here doing a 1-16 scale M60A3.
http://www.rcunivers...now-so-far.html

Edited by Stuart Galbraith, 16 December 2017 - 0910 AM.

#142 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 47,582 posts

Posted 16 December 2017 - 1151 AM

I have just read that Trumpeter is bringing out a 1.16 scale T72B in the new year (both with and without reactive armour). Might be some good kitbashing potential there with a Heng Long T90 hull.

#143 Corinthian

Corinthian

Stone Age Bitter Delusional Retard

• Members
  • 21,187 posts
  • Interests:Wholesome stuff.

Posted 18 December 2017 - 0228 AM

Indeed. Alas, RC tanking here isn't all that popular, hence I got no one to play tank battles with. And so my RC tanks are just gathering dust....  :(

#144 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 47,582 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 0305 AM

I feel your pain Tomas. Ive finally solved most of the problems in my chally, but even if i forked out of an IR system, Id never use it. I dont think ive even driven my Tamiya Tiger and Sherman for about 10 years now.

I think the key to the Challenger's problems is poor springs. when going round turns, the last roadwheel compresses, and it slips the track. Ive took out surplus track links, and Ive put some shims in behind the axle under the spring, to tense it up a bit. Its helped, a bit, to the point it can now go over short grass without slipping tracks. When it goes into about 6 inch grass it does throw the track. But in fairness, even on Salisbury plain its unlikely to get that tall. I mean scale, it must be well over 10 feet. :D So a supplier of stronger springs and probably some metal axles is probably the way forward here.

Ive also figured out a way to use top up gift cards, so I can probably get a new turret ring and drive mechanism for it, which will probably cut the noise of turret traverse.

These fellas seem to have some good bits, dont know if you have any experience of them Tomas.

https://www.forgebea...d_Products.html

Edited by Stuart Galbraith, 18 December 2017 - 0308 AM.

#145 Ken Estes

Ken Estes

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14,433 posts
  • Interests:USMC Tanker, Historian

Posted 14 January 2018 - 1408 PM

Not my thing, but has anybody seen this?

https://youtu.be/6vKQQk2U7Q8?

#146 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 47,582 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 0258 AM

Thats pretty good. I wonder if he scratch built it himself, or used on of the Mark1 Models 1-6 scale tanks as a basis. Pretty good in any case.

Somehow in my Tamiya 1-16 scale Tiger ive managed to replicate the capriciousness of the original. Im having a hell of a job reactivating it. Im idly wondering if Im going to have to invest in a new ESC in order to run the damn thing. The Taimya one as Tomas has said is very unimpressive in many ways.

#147 FlyingCanOpener

FlyingCanOpener

Kakistocrat

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9,002 posts
  • Interests:Geomatics // Naval History // Soccer // Teaching

Posted 16 January 2018 - 1056 AM

Looks like the Mark 1's as the base then added the animatronics for old Hanz und Franz later. Pretty impressive, but at that size you're just showing off and you're not going to get it all down and dirty like you can with the smaller-scaled thanks.

#148 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 47,582 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 0939 AM

A friend of mine has a 1-6 Jagdpanther from Mark1 model. Apparently he even managed to put cameras in it to make it easier to drive. :D Ive just managed to re-activate my 1-16 scale Tamiya Sherman. its so much fun to play with, Im kinda wondering why I ever put the damn thing down. Bought myself a new Flysky 10 channel transmitter, so at least its future proofed for when I figure out how to put a smoke discharger in it. :)

#149 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 47,582 posts

Posted 21 January 2018 - 1120 AM

So I have to relate an amusing tale from a recent tustle with the Tamiya Tiger 1. I had awful trouble getting the last receiver to work with it, so I bought a Flysky one. If you dont already have one of these, get one. They are pricy but you can save profiles for different receivers, so you end up saving money if you have models.

Anyway, today I thought I would finish up doing some work on it. Nothing doing, the gun or the turret didnt work. So I stripped it down, reset the electrical gubins, and got the gun to work. So that was good.  Then for absolutely no apparent reason it kept swerving to the left. Checked the drive, was a little stressed to discover the left drive sprocket was not engaged to gearbox. Thought to myself that the driveshaft had fracture which is going to be expensive.

As it turned out, it was a simple fix. The sprocket screwed onto a drive shaft, and the drive shaft engaged the gearbox using an adapter that had an allen screw holding it in place. So a few turns of an allen key, and its good to go. The only problem is, just to turn that one screw, I had to remove the turret, the roof, one track, the transmission cover, and unscrew the transmission to get at it. All this is very distinctly Tiger like.

Clever Tamiya. They didnt just make a good model of a Tiger Tank, they modeled the mechanical problems as well. :D Well in fairness it is 15 years old, and built in haste. :)

If anyone is interested, the manual for these is here. They are actually pretty good models, but like any tank you really need to run them to keep them reliable, and this one has been stood for about 10 years.

http://www.tamiya.co...l/56009-114.pdf

Edited by Stuart Galbraith, 21 January 2018 - 1120 AM.

#150 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 47,582 posts

Posted 21 January 2018 - 1340 PM

1-16 scale Tamiya Abrams manual.

http://www.tamiya.de...M1A2_Abrams.pdf

#151 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 47,582 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 1247 PM

A friend who owns a 1-6 scale Jagdpanther pointed this out to me. Looks like quite a cost effective solution.

http://openpanzer.org/

#152 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 47,582 posts

Posted 07 February 2018 - 1240 PM

Thought this was good. Scratchbuilt  RC 1-16 M113 ACAV.

https://www.rctankwa...=wheel bearings

#153 Corinthian

Corinthian

Stone Age Bitter Delusional Retard

• Members
  • 21,187 posts
  • Interests:Wholesome stuff.

Posted 08 February 2018 - 0128 AM

Dayum that M113 is so awesome!

#154 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 47,582 posts

Posted 08 February 2018 - 0255 AM

Its pretty good isnt it. :)

Id love to have a system so you could get it to play different sounds on pressing  a transmitter switch. I was idly thinking about building the Kellys Hero's Sherman, and the Heng Long 105mm Sherman with a new 76mm Barrel would be a good match. However, the sticking point would be having a storage system that could have recorded music. I was idly thinking about using a raspberry pi which has the necessary storage space, but it would mean figuring out a way to turn the music on from a transmitter command.

Maybe im just very strange. :D

Edited by Stuart Galbraith, 08 February 2018 - 0255 AM.

#155 JasonJ

JasonJ

majideyabai

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8,967 posts
  • Interests:Being odd and unusual.

Posted 08 February 2018 - 1906 PM

This talk about 1-16 scale makes me think about one for myself, even if just a little :) But I got lots of 1-35 already.

#156 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 47,582 posts

Posted 09 February 2018 - 0310 AM

Tamiya does a 1-16 Type 90 that looks pretty good. That might be a good one to learn on, though as Tomas says, they are pricey.

Ive finally got my Tiger 1 going again ok, though it now needs repainting.  Unfortunately ive got this problem where something has to look perfect, or I get unduly miserable about it. Its one reason why ive a love hate issue with modelling.

#157 JasonJ

JasonJ

majideyabai

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8,967 posts

Posted 09 February 2018 - 0518 AM

Might be pricy, before making a purchase, a little prior hands on just might tip it. I have been to a place in Osaka that has a lot of little shops that sell the wires and motors that looked to be used in RC tanks. So the supply depot is there. Could be a natural evolution from the 1-35 kits.

The one imperefect thing about perfection is that absolute perfection is theoritically impossible.

#158 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 47,582 posts

Posted 09 February 2018 - 0610 AM

Heng Long are not bad for the price. Im finding though they need so much doing in way of improvement, you are often better going to a Tamiya model of the same vehicle if it available. When you have a Challenger of course, there are no alternatives.

Ive made some improvement to the tracks coming off. I bought some metal idlers and drive sprockets. Not only do they look better, but when the track comes off (as sometimes happens) all you need to do is go into reverse and it pops back on. Not ideal, but till I can can convince myself to get some metal tracks for it, it will do.

Its an expensive hobby one has to say.

Edited by Stuart Galbraith, 09 February 2018 - 0610 AM.

#159 JasonJ

JasonJ

majideyabai

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8,967 posts

Posted 09 February 2018 - 0649 AM

One way to reduce the cost of the hobby is to limit the number of tanks, but makes picking something harder. The Heng Long T-90 looked rather nice to me, for a RC T-90. I'd have to assume that I would go with just one. Going for two would be really tough to gain the green light on. Saw this recently, under the cover of the turret of a Type 16 MCV is an air hand gun at 0:33.

Edited by JasonJ, 09 February 2018 - 0649 AM.

#160 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 47,582 posts

Posted 09 February 2018 - 0719 AM

One possibly might be just buying the hull on Ebay, and buying the Trumpeter T72B kit. Id prefer a Soviet tank to a modern Russian one, and that looks one way to get one.

There seems to be a massive boom in wheeled vehicles too. I noticed an RC Gaz66 truck is also available.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users