• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#21 MiloMorai

MiloMorai

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,986 posts

Posted 05 November 2019 - 1859 PM

What do you mean by in time? It has already infected the White House.

"f we do nothing, the influence of cartels and corruption will ooze into our culture over time anyway"

#22 Mobius

Mobius

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5,898 posts

Posted 06 November 2019 - 0855 AM

As many on the left say we don't need a southern border.  If we don't have a border it works both ways.  Americans won't be limited by the border to go in and straighten things out.  

#23 Tim the Tank Nut

Tim the Tank Nut

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5,967 posts

Posted 06 November 2019 - 1131 AM

reading the reports on the latest considerable attack it is amazing to me that media outlets take the "mistaken identity" excuse at face value.

Much like the Mexican President's preference for the Cartels' well being it just doesn't make sense.

I suppose one lesson is don't live in Mexico

#24 glenn239

glenn239

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5,502 posts

Posted 06 November 2019 - 1215 PM

Another lesson might be that the cartels view the border as an impenetrable shield against the US military.  Sort of like a cat sauntering by a frustrated dog, just outside the radius of his leash.

#25 TTK Ciar

TTK Ciar

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 07 November 2019 - 1232 PM

reading the reports on the latest considerable attack it is amazing to me that media outlets take the "mistaken identity" excuse at face value.

Really? The media swallowed the "they committed suicide" story when US federal agents burned 76 men, women and children to death in 1993, and journalistic integrity has only decayed in the 26 years since.

A more contemporary case in point: The media refers to the combatants in Ukraine as "separatists" in a civil conflict, when those separatists are obviously no more than a fig leaf for the Russian invasion to hide behind. And our mainstream media doesn't even like Russia. They just narrate the most palatable interpretation of events.

And these are just the obvious lies. How many other lies do they tell which we have no way of assessing?

#26 Tim the Tank Nut

Tim the Tank Nut

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5,967 posts

Posted 07 November 2019 - 1522 PM

I believe based on experience that one can conclude that the media is always lying no matter the topic

#27 MiloMorai

MiloMorai

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,986 posts

Posted 07 November 2019 - 2316 PM

I believe based on experience that one can conclude that the media is always lying no matter the topic

Just like politicians do.

#28 Colin

Colin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,993 posts

Posted 08 November 2019 - 2138 PM

Hence the reason media types like to go into politics.

#29 glenn239

glenn239

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5,502 posts

Posted 09 November 2019 - 0846 AM

Hey, Colin, remember Mike Duffy?  Worked for CTV and was deeply respected for decades as a straight shooting political pundit.  Then goes into politics and gets drummed out of the Senate for rank corruption.

#30 MiloMorai

MiloMorai

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,986 posts

Posted 09 November 2019 - 1034 AM

Hey, Colin, remember Mike Duffy?  Worked for CTV and was deeply respected for decades as a straight shooting political pundit.  Then goes into politics and gets drummed out of the Senate for rank corruption.

He is still in the Senate.

#31 Colin

Colin

• Members
  • 16,993 posts

Posted 10 November 2019 - 1941 PM

What he did was technically leglish, but any self respecting journalist would have known the advice he got would not survive the front page. The CPC should told him to own up and apologise, this deal where a senior party member lends him $90,000 to pay the bill and keep it quiet was just stupid.  

#32 MiloMorai

MiloMorai

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,986 posts

Posted 11 November 2019 - 2221 PM

Agree Colin. Just shows being a politician corrupts. ;)

#33 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

Just Another Salisbury Tourist

• Members
  • 55,624 posts

Posted 13 November 2019 - 0554 AM

Mexico, now available with Pirates.

https://abcnews.go.c...alians-66950702

The Mexican navy says two Italian crew members were wounded in an attack by armed assailants who boarded their ship in the Gulf of Mexico.

The pirate attack was apparently carried out by several armed men who approached the Italian-flagged ship Rema in two fishing boats.

The Mexican navy said Tuesday that one Italian suffered a blow to the head, and the other was shot. It did not comment on their condition.

The navy says it dispatched a fast boat to the site of the attack late Monday off the coast of Ciudad del Carmen, Campeche.

The southern Gulf of Mexico has seen an increasing number of pirate attacks on oil platforms and boats in recent years.

#34 glenn239

glenn239

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5,502 posts

Posted 13 November 2019 - 1021 AM

Agree Colin. Just shows being a politician corrupts. ;)

No, it's more than that.  Duffy had a formidable reputation as a straight shooter and it turns out he wasn't.  The take away lesson is that sometimes the people that shout out the loudest about morality and rules are the ones you need to watch the most.

#35 Colin

Colin

• Members
  • 16,993 posts

Posted 14 November 2019 - 1709 PM

Personally i think it's something in the water on Parliament Hill that turns smart people into doofus. I seen it time and time again and have even asked senior management if they were prepared to back their decision making process in public. I knew in my career I would make mistakes, but I was always ready to defend how I made that decision in a court of law or the press.  

#36 Tim the Tank Nut

Tim the Tank Nut

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5,967 posts

Posted 30 November 2019 - 0922 AM

the Mexican government seems pretty angry about the possibility of the drug cartels being labelled terrorist organizations.

It seems that they protest too much as the old saying goes

#37 Murph

Murph

Hierophant Lord

• Members
  • 19,136 posts

Posted 30 November 2019 - 1003 AM

the Mexican government seems pretty angry about the possibility of the drug cartels being labelled terrorist organizations.

Agreed, it seems that they might lose their bribes, and kickbacks.  The Mexican Government at all levels is complicit.  But the US hunger for drugs is also part of the problem.  

#38 Jeff

Jeff

Godfather of Tanknet Birthday Greetings

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8,462 posts

Posted 30 November 2019 - 1015 AM

Plata o plomo is a difficult choice once your nation gets to the point where they can kill/kidnap whomever they want and can face down the military let alone the hopelessly compromised Federales. My guess is that even el Presidente de Mexico wouldn't last long if he really went after the cartels. Mexico is a failed state at this point.

#39 Tim the Tank Nut

Tim the Tank Nut

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5,967 posts

Posted 30 November 2019 - 1019 AM

Mexico can fairly be described as a failed state at this point and that doesn't bother me.  The problem we have is a lack of border controls between a failed state and the United States.  The Democrats operate under the false notion that Mexico is a thriving nation with no issues and that is the main problem.

As Mexico spirals into unstoppable crime it becomes time to close the border entirely.

#40 Jeff

Jeff

Godfather of Tanknet Birthday Greetings

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8,462 posts

Posted 30 November 2019 - 1024 AM

Mexico can fairly be described as a failed state at this point and that doesn't bother me.  The problem we have is a lack of border controls between a failed state and the United States.  The Democrats operate under the false notion that Mexico is a thriving nation with no issues and that is the main problem.

As Mexico spirals into unstoppable crime it becomes time to close the border entirely.

Wait until rockets start flying over.