• Please log in to reply
140 replies to this topic

#101 Chris Werb

Chris Werb

In Zod We Trust

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,131 posts
  • Interests:But it's got electrolytes! They're what plants crave!

Posted 13 July 2019 - 0639 AM

I never doubted you thought that. :)

I live in relatively open terrain, but even here, relatively small undulations can provide many opportunities for cover and concealment*. Even with the current terrain, obviously a lot of play is about positioning yourself to maximise the usefulness of your field of fire whilst denying the enemy the ability to concentrate direct fire on you. Here you could see fro miles and miles in lots of places by cresting a hill, but you had better be quick about it because you would have everything but the kitchen sink thrown at you in short order. It also means that tanks with flat shooting guns and primitive/non-existent FCS like the T-62 become a force to be reckoned with vs far later and more sophisticated vehicles, particularly were they can enfilade or ambush. One thing I am looking forward to very much is that the terrain will make infantry much more survivable, particularly if player controlled - you will be able to readily duck behind solid cover from which you can sneak/run to an alternate position before indirect fire arrives. Yes, timed airburst and, to a lesser extent AHEAD type ammo options will make this less viable, but in rolling terrain it may not be easy for your opponent to find something to range on to get the desired effect with something like 3P 40mm, even with the linear depth burst option selected (which like the other modes is brilliantly modelled in SB). Of course the introduction of active protection systems in game will make it harder for them to inflict casualties on enemy armour. I expect this to expose weaknesses in Western doctrine such as over-reliance on ATGW.  Snake are you modelling IR jammers and automatically triggered obscurant systems too?

*In scenarios without persistent enemy drone presence.

#102 Ssnake

Ssnake

Virtual Shiva Beast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6,582 posts
  • Interests:Contemporary armor - tactics and technology

Posted 13 July 2019 - 0937 AM

Only partially so. There's still so much to do, everywhere.

I'd like to devote our entire time to improving the underlying modelling as well as the simulation part. But I have to earn money to afford doing so. So I need to sell some of the development time to military customers for customization projects (which in turn drives a part of the direction that we're taking, in general), and I need to devote a considerable amount of time to adapt the product to the changing hard- and software environment (new processor capabilities, new Windows versions), and to let the team do everything they can to boost our own productivity, mainly by removing, one by one, obstacles of code maintainability.

And that, basically, explains 95% of what we're doing.

#103 DB

DB

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11,225 posts

Posted 13 July 2019 - 1002 AM

There is a definite parallel with weather prediction models, where grid size and initial condition variations can have large effects on results. In fact the professional seaweed fondlers are known to run perturbed variants of simulations to gain a measure of the "chaos-ness" of the inputs. If the minor perturbations yield similar results then they increase the confidence of the outputs.

I do static reliability models using fault trees for a living. I don't believe the input data and I'm dubious about the order of magnitude of the results we get. I do believe them when they say the design isn't good enough, though.

For the specific issue of the terrain model, I will suggest that once the grid spacing drops below a certain fraction of the object you're attempting to conceal, then you have likely reached a suitable threshold.

Large grid spacing approximates a low pass filter, tending to smooth features. When the spacing is smaller than the vehicle, or infantry object, then to a first approximation the object will already be hidden and more resolution merely adds texture.

#104 Chris Werb

Chris Werb

In Zod We Trust

• Members
  • 24,131 posts

Posted 13 July 2019 - 1242 PM

And it's also about about cover. Regardless of whether you can see a tank or not, it is going to be more likely to be hull down, or partially so, relative to enemy AT systems in the new terrain, so there will be a bias toward turret hits which, as Ssnake mentioned somewhere earlier, is borne out by real-world operational analysis. As a player, this is a really big deal for me.

#105 Ssnake

Ssnake

Virtual Shiva Beast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6,582 posts

Posted 13 July 2019 - 1524 PM

Of course it still depends on the terrain itself. There are, after all, flat stretches of terrain where an increase of resolution only adds to data size but not the quality of results. But then there are also areas like the sad dunes of western Jutland which have a tremendous impact. The next big issue is then to adapt AI behavior to such a changed environment, and to take advantage of micro variations in the terrain. We haven't even started with that, yet.

#106 Ssnake

Ssnake

Virtual Shiva Beast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6,582 posts

Posted 13 July 2019 - 2040 PM

Also not an official video, but still...:

Not the greatest framerate from an old machine running a pretty large battle, but still very much playable I'd say.

#107 Chris Werb

Chris Werb

In Zod We Trust

• Members
  • 24,131 posts

Posted 21 July 2019 - 1624 PM

I've seen the latest video - yet more awesomeness. Hopefully it will turn up here soon! :)

#108 Ssnake

Ssnake

Virtual Shiva Beast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6,582 posts

Posted 21 July 2019 - 1643 PM

You could have posted the link...:

It's intended to be the sequel to the "Vector" video from eight weeks ago:

#109 Chris Werb

Chris Werb

In Zod We Trust

• Members
  • 24,131 posts

Posted 21 July 2019 - 1648 PM

I didn't want to steal your Thunder after the "Grenny leak" :P

#110 Mr King

Mr King

Fat Body

• Members
  • 19,278 posts

Posted 22 July 2019 - 0738 AM

I purchased another subscription to the sim again, and have been having a blast this morning playing around with the infantry ATGM teams. This sim has come so far, I can't wait to see where else it goes. 

#111 Ssnake

Ssnake

Virtual Shiva Beast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6,582 posts

Posted 22 July 2019 - 1609 PM

I'm glad that you like it.

Expect the last part of "Operation Protecting Hand" tomorrow.

#112 Ssnake

Ssnake

Virtual Shiva Beast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6,582 posts

Posted 23 July 2019 - 0216 AM

In the meantime, you may find the Release Notes for version 4.156 of interest.

#113 Ssnake

Ssnake

Virtual Shiva Beast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6,582 posts

Posted 23 July 2019 - 1037 AM

#114 Chris Werb

Chris Werb

In Zod We Trust

• Members
  • 24,131 posts

Posted 23 July 2019 - 1231 PM

In the meantime, you may find the Release Notes for version 4.156 of interest.

With TWO usages of "borked". Awesome!!! :)

#115 Ssnake

Ssnake

Virtual Shiva Beast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6,582 posts

Posted 25 July 2019 - 0906 AM

Here's the last one.

From next Monday, it's your turn making these...

#116 Chris Werb

Chris Werb

In Zod We Trust

• Members
  • 24,131 posts

Posted 25 July 2019 - 1255 PM

Also noted the HPL invocation :)

#117 Chris Werb

Chris Werb

In Zod We Trust

• Members
  • 24,131 posts

Posted 25 July 2019 - 1332 PM

What software should I consider using to capture video from the simulation?

#118 Ssnake

Ssnake

Virtual Shiva Beast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6,582 posts

Posted 25 July 2019 - 1641 PM

I don't know, really. Personally, I'm using Fraps. Some people criticise Fraps for being a disk space hog - and they are right insofar as Fraps simply dumps the action as an uncompressed AVI with the implicit understanding that you will later cut and edit the raw footage and decide at that point which Codecs works best for the kind of project that you have in mind.

If you follow that workflow, you will get the best possible video quality.

But there are many other video capture tools. Bandicam is popular, but a quick internet search for "video capture" yields about 30 different tools on the first page alone; it seems to be mostly a matter of personal preferences, price (=free or not), capabilities. If a tool doesn't compress (such as Fraps) but you're then taking the time to cut scenes where nothing happens (which is surprisingly often the case) and afterwards render it into a video, you don't need to worry about video codecs that may or may not be included in the capturing tool because you'd have them in the editing software.

But you could also give preference to a capturing tool that already has an efficient video codec built in, e.g. H.264 if you plan to capture only Full HD videos. This could make sense

• if you want to capture everything in one go and maybe only make a couple of cuts without changing the compression
  • if you can do with simple (hard) cuts without blending
  • if you don't need frame-precise cutting (most codecs have "A-Frames" and "B-Frames" where only "A-Frames" contain the full image, and "B-Frames" only store the difference to the previous image; this implies that you can cut the video stream only at an "A-Frame" which could be only every 8th or 12th frame in extreme cases)

In that case you could use the Windows 10 built-in "Video Editor" app (free shit, yay!).

I'm using Corel Video Studio which is cheap enough for my taste but comes with a couple of comfort features. If you want to mix dozens of parallel video streams and hundreds if not thousands of audio tracks like a professional video cutter you not only need a professional software but also a computer with, say, a Threadripper or even Epyc CPU, lots of RAM and really fat SSDs.

So, the answer lies somewhere between "free" and "$$$"; the smart consumer would go for the solution that can everything that he needs for the lowest price available. But that requires you to know in advance what you want, and then to do some more or less extensive market research.

Edited by Ssnake, 25 July 2019 - 1643 PM.

#119 Chris Werb

Chris Werb

In Zod We Trust

• Members
  • 24,131 posts

Posted 25 July 2019 - 1711 PM

Thank you Snake. I have and can use Adobe Premier through our web design business. Unfortunately Premier and Windows 10 are not happy bedfellows. For that reason I have to use it on a Mac, whilst SB only runs on a PC. I'll sort something out.

#120 Ssnake

Ssnake

Virtual Shiva Beast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6,582 posts

Posted 25 July 2019 - 1819 PM

Once that you have captured the video stream, editing it on a Mac is easy. You just need to transport the data - e.g. with an external USB 3.0 disk drive.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users