Open Beta

205 replies to this topic

#41 Edmund

Edmund

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,550 posts
  • Interests:Tanks, Trains, Planes, and boats(Big boats)

Posted 01 July 2015 - 0900 AM

Even without an official open beta announcement it looks like word is getting out.  I saw 8900 people on the NA server last night when I logged in at 11pm eastern.

I was on around then too.  I was surprised at the number of people.  I had no lock ups or crashes.  My So Car was sluggish in one battle (lag I assume) but BB nimble like in the next. 

I was outranged by a crusier in it (Omaha I think).  I keep meaning to look up ranges for naval guns in a book I have.  I think it is called Fleets of WWII.  But it lists the shell weight and range for the guns and torps for most nations. 

Edited by Edmund, 01 July 2015 - 0901 AM.

#42 Harold Jones

Harold Jones

Shaken but not deterred...

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8,538 posts
  • Interests:Armor, History, Fishing and Beer

Posted 01 July 2015 - 0919 AM

Don't bother looking up ranges, likely it will piss you off.  The ranges used in game are based on WG's evaluation of the maximum visibility range from the main optical range finder of the ship.  They calculate this by the height of the range finder above either the deck or the waterline, not sure which.  Also due to map size and game balance the maximum elevation, hence range, of higher tier BBs is limited which cuts down the max range of the gun.

#43 Skywalkre

Skywalkre

Garry F!@#$%g Owen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8,390 posts
  • Interests:military history, psychology, gaming (computer, board, simulation, console), sci-fi

Posted 01 July 2015 - 0927 AM

Even without an official open beta announcement it looks like word is getting out.  I saw 8900 people on the NA server last night when I logged in at 11pm eastern.

Still waiting for them to implement the unified accounts.  I have zero desire to bother with low tiers.

#44 Harold Jones

Harold Jones

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8,538 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 0953 AM

Still waiting for them to implement the unified accounts.  I have zero desire to bother with low tiers.

The only reason I'm even attempting to play WoT is that they have merged premium time across accounts so I figure I can build up some free XP on WoT to use for WoWs when they do the full merge.

#45 Colin

Colin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,333 posts
  • Interests:tanks, old and new AFV's, Landrovers, diving, hovercrafts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 1016 AM

Just play the St Louis, it still fun

#46 Marek Tucan

Marek Tucan

Powerpoint Ranger, Chairborne

• Members
  • 15,973 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 1044 AM

I see your St Louis and raise you Clemson. And iWaki. And Arkansas :)

Actually Tenryu is also quite nice (well, baby iWaki). Kuma is a bit of a dog though.

#47 Colin

Colin

• Members
  • 16,333 posts
  • Interests:tanks, old and new AFV's, Landrovers, diving, hovercrafts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 1129 AM

I like the Kuma, good DD killer

#48 Harold Jones

Harold Jones

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8,538 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 1213 PM

I find that the Tenryu is either feast or famine.  If anyone you are playing knows how to aim, you die in one or two volleys thanks to a citadel that I swear extends a couple feet beyond the the bow and stern.  If you run into a gang that can't shoot straight you can rake in the xp and credits.

#49 Marek Tucan

Marek Tucan

• Members
  • 15,973 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 1455 PM

Tenryu does everything the Kuma does better. Kuma is clumsy, cumbersome, with terrible torpedo arcs and smaller torpedo broadside... You want DD killer at Tier IV, go for Phoenix. Or Clemson.

#50 Edmund

Edmund

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,550 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 1746 PM

I haven't played DD's much.  Prefer BB's because I like BB's for real (Not related to game).  But St Louis is fun.  I will keep it. 

#51 Corinthian

Corinthian

Stone Age Bitter Delusional Retard

• Members
  • 21,191 posts
  • Interests:Wholesome stuff.

Posted 01 July 2015 - 1938 PM

I am enjoying! ^_^

I find it easier to play vs WoT. I even managed to sink a couple of ships! :D

Edited by Corinthian, 01 July 2015 - 1939 PM.

#52 Edmund

Edmund

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,550 posts

Posted 02 July 2015 - 0714 AM

Don't bother looking up ranges, likely it will piss you off.  The ranges used in game are based on WG's evaluation of the maximum visibility range from the main optical range finder of the ship.  They calculate this by the height of the range finder above either the deck or the waterline, not sure which.  Also due to map size and game balance the maximum elevation, hence range, of higher tier BBs is limited which cuts down the max range of the gun.

Harold you were right.  Looking it up did piss me off.  Because the Omaha's range is slightly better then the South Carolina's (Turreted guns only).  What idiot designed the guns for this battleship? 

To be honest I was surprised that other guns >6" had similar ranges to Omaha's. 

#53 Edmund

Edmund

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,550 posts

Posted 02 July 2015 - 0729 AM

I recently had a oh sh*t moment in my Arkansas.  I came around an island and saw a almost full health Omaha at a little over 7km from me.  There was smoke so I hadn't realized he was there.  I fired everything at him in a sort of panic.  Nine of the twelve shells hit.  The Omaha exploded.  I was shocked it sunk and didn't do much for a few seconds.   

Of course I immediatly celebrated by eating as many torpedos as possible from destroyers.  They gave me serious heart burn. 

#54 Harold Jones

Harold Jones

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8,538 posts

Posted 02 July 2015 - 0933 AM

WG announced that it WoWS is officially in Open Beta.  Populations are higher and low tier matches are full of targets.  I feel bad about how easy it is to get torpedo hits right now with my Clemson.  

#55 Marek Tucan

Marek Tucan

• Members
  • 15,973 posts

Posted 02 July 2015 - 1017 AM

Harold you were right.  Looking it up did piss me off.  Because the Omaha's range is slightly better then the South Carolina's (Turreted guns only).  What idiot designed the guns for this battleship? 

Do not forget that the battle lines at the times of first dreadnoughts were supposed to fight close enough that even the fixed BB torpedoes will get a shot ;) IIRC predreadnought engagement distances were as little as 5000 yards, dreadnought era some 10k yards or so... Before the rangefinders and other tools of long range gunnery caught up. Heck, even superdreadnoughts had range quite curtailed and most got upgrades interwar to prolong the range significantly by increasing max. elevation. Here you compare first US dreadnought with post-WWI "modern" scout cruiser built with WWI lessons (including prolonged engagement distances) in mind ;)

#56 Edmund

Edmund

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,550 posts

Posted 02 July 2015 - 1051 AM

Do not forget that the battle lines at the times of first dreadnoughts were supposed to fight close enough that even the fixed BB torpedoes will get a shot ;) IIRC predreadnought engagement distances were as little as 5000 yards, dreadnought era some 10k yards or so... Before the rangefinders and other tools of long range gunnery caught up. Heck, even superdreadnoughts had range quite curtailed and most got upgrades interwar to prolong the range significantly by increasing max. elevation. Here you compare first US dreadnought with post-WWI "modern" scout cruiser built with WWI lessons (including prolonged engagement distances) in mind ;)

Marek don't try to interrupt my whine that bigger guns should shoot farther then smaller guns with historical facts and apples to oranges stuff.  :closedeyes: 

#57 Skywalkre

Skywalkre

Garry F!@#$%g Owen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8,390 posts
  • Interests:military history, psychology, gaming (computer, board, simulation, console), sci-fi

Posted 02 July 2015 - 1147 AM

WG announced that it WoWS is officially in Open Beta.  Populations are higher and low tier matches are full of targets.  I feel bad about how easy it is to get torpedo hits right now with my Clemson.  

Still no unified accounts.  Didn't they say that was coming in OB?  So... is shared premium time the extent now of unified accounts or is this just more 'typical WG' execution?

Edit: Went back and read the patch notes.  It's called a unified premium account and they only mention premium time in the notes but that phrase 'unified premium account' was used years ago with WoWp and included gold and free XP.  So, in short, no bloody clue what's going on.  :glare:

Edit 2: Further google-fu seems to indicate it's only supposed to be premium time shared now with real unified accounts coming at 'launch'.  Unfortunately, throughout the last few years, the phrase 'unified account' and 'unified premium account' seem to have become intermixed in official announcements, hence the confusion.  :glare:

Edited by Skywalkre, 02 July 2015 - 1210 PM.

#58 Vuk

Vuk

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 02 July 2015 - 1224 PM

Have more or less quit playing since OBT due to the massive lagspikes I am getting

#59 Skywalkre

Skywalkre

Garry F!@#$%g Owen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8,390 posts

Posted 02 July 2015 - 1718 PM

HE still king at beginner tiers.  Will be interesting to see if it will even be worth it to fire AP in BBs*.

*Which will only be the IJN BBs.  I was hoping to avoid both lines low tier BBs but sadly, without real unified accounts, I'll have to go through one of them to get to a CV line and right now the IJN one still sounds as OP as ever.  Need to get down to it and abuse... err, enjoy the good times while they last.  :glare:

Edited by Skywalkre, 02 July 2015 - 1727 PM.

#60 Skywalkre

Skywalkre

Garry F!@#$%g Owen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8,390 posts

Posted 02 July 2015 - 1824 PM

Fires are fucking ridiculous even at low tiers.  A St Louis player with a brain is the Atlanta of low tiers.  :angry2:

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users