Corinthian

Stone Age Bitter Delusional Retard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,320 posts
  • Interests:Wholesome stuff.

Posted 03 June 2018 - 0502 AM

So...

My home laptop is connected to the home network by LAN and WiFi. Connecting to the internet was ok until today. This morning, a phone fell from the shelf and hit the keyboard. For a moment, the computer was frozen. I had to press the powerbutton to turn it off. After rebooting, it was working again - keyboard works, etc. But I couldn't connect to the internet.

Both ethernet connection and WiFi said no internet. Troubleshooting said I have DNS issue (DNS isn't responding). A check with my phone and this current laptop shows that there's no issues with my home connection. So the problem is on the laptop. I tried flushing the DNS, etc etc etc. All methods WRT DNS have failed. As a last resort, I connected my laptop to my phone acting as WiFi hotspot. Still no internet connection, yet I can surf the internet with my phone using the data plan.

Any ideas? I've ran the antivirus, my computer is clean. Hardware issue?

#2 Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe

purposeful grimace

• Members
  • 31,832 posts
  • Interests:military technology, military history, weapon systems, management/organizational design, early American history

Posted 03 June 2018 - 0850 AM

What operating system runs on your laptop?

#3 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

Just Another Salisbury Tourist

• Members
  • 52,560 posts

Posted 03 June 2018 - 0942 AM

I have a similar problem with my laptop occasionally (a Hewlett Packard) after I dropped it. It seems occasionally to forget it has a wifi receiver. I find if I give the PC a shake (Im serious, It must be a loose connection) followed by a restart (not just turning it off, restarts in Windows have magical effects) and it works again. Sometimes takes 2 or 3 goes though.

Probably not what you are looking for, but sometimes brute force and ignorance can carry the day. :)

#4 Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe

purposeful grimace

• Members
  • 31,832 posts
  • Interests:military technology, military history, weapon systems, management/organizational design, early American history

Posted 03 June 2018 - 1039 AM

A lot of laptops, in fact all that I have opened up, have the WiFi adapter as a separate mini-card plugged into a slot. The ones I've seen are about 2cm wide and maybe 3-4cm long. If a laptop fell and landed edgewise just the right way, I can imagine the WiFi adapter sliding out just enough to have intermittent electrical connectivity to the motherboard.

Keep in mind that some laptops are very easy to open up and re-close, others are a nightmare.

#5 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 52,560 posts

Posted 03 June 2018 - 1041 AM

That explains quite a lot actually.

#6 Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe

purposeful grimace

• Members
  • 31,832 posts

Posted 03 June 2018 - 1118 AM

As an aside, I have no explanation why Ethernet adapters are integral to the motherboard, but WiFi adapters must be separate cards. Its not like somebody with a laptop built in 2014 is going to open that baby up and replace the WiFi adapter card with one that supports 802.11ac.

#7 Panzermann

Panzermann

REFORGER '79

• Members
  • 16,012 posts

Posted 03 June 2018 - 1133 AM

As an aside, I have no explanation why Ethernet adapters are integral to the motherboard, but WiFi adapters must be separate cards. Its not like somebody with a laptop built in 2014 is going to open that baby up and replace the WiFi adapter card with one that supports 802.11ac.

Actually I and a few friends have done just that. Also new batteries. One of the aptops has parallel and serial connectors, which he needs for work.

For some of my needs the old "internet typewriter" is still plenty fast with a slim Linux. when I need more power I have my desktop.

But I guess the WiFi on a card is used to easier switch suppliers of the wifi adapter. Maybe in the past to comply with different local regulations.

#8 Panzermann

Panzermann

REFORGER '79

• Members
  • 16,012 posts

Posted 03 June 2018 - 1135 AM

So...

My home laptop is connected to the home network by LAN and WiFi. Connecting to the internet was ok until today. This morning, a phone fell from the shelf and hit the keyboard. For a moment, the computer was frozen. I had to press the powerbutton to turn it off. After rebooting, it was working again - keyboard works, etc. But I couldn't connect to the internet.

Both ethernet connection and WiFi said no internet. Troubleshooting said I have DNS issue (DNS isn't responding). A check with my phone and this current laptop shows that there's no issues with my home connection. So the problem is on the laptop. I tried flushing the DNS, etc etc etc. All methods WRT DNS have failed. As a last resort, I connected my laptop to my phone acting as WiFi hotspot. Still no internet connection, yet I can surf the internet with my phone using the data plan.

Any ideas? I've ran the antivirus, my computer is clean. Hardware issue?

So, does your computer say, that it has a WiFi connection to the router? Have you tried connnecting it via cable?

#9 Corinthian

Corinthian

• Members
  • 21,320 posts

Posted 03 June 2018 - 1453 PM

What operating system runs on your laptop?

Win 10, latest update

#10 Corinthian

Corinthian

• Members
  • 21,320 posts

Posted 03 June 2018 - 1457 PM

So, does your computer say, that it has a WiFi connection to the router? Have you tried connnecting it via cable?

It is connected to the router both by WiFi and cable. It has never had an issue connecting to the net before with both connections simultaneously.

#11 Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe

purposeful grimace

• Members
  • 31,832 posts

Posted 03 June 2018 - 2025 PM

Open up a Command Prompt window.

run ipconfig /all

tell us;

- is DHCP enabled?

- is your IPv4 address 169.254.something.something?

- do you have a default gateway configured?

- do you have one or more DNS servers configured?

answer these, and we'll go from there.

#12 Corinthian

Corinthian

• Members
  • 21,320 posts

Posted 03 June 2018 - 2134 PM

- is DHCP enabled?

YES

- is your IPv4 address 169.254.something.something?

NO. It says "192.168.43.12 (Preferred)"

- do you have a default gateway configured?

It says "192.168.43.1"

- do you have one or more DNS servers configured?

I dunno. Under "DNS Servers" it reads "192.168.43.1"

#13 Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe

purposeful grimace

• Members
  • 31,832 posts

Posted 03 June 2018 - 2157 PM

OK that's progress.

In your Command Prompt window, run this command;

nslookup www.cnn.com 8.8.8.8

then post the results. You can copy-n-paste from the Command Prompt window thusly;

highlight the text to copy

mouse up to the little Command Prompt icon at the upper left of the Command Prompt window

right-click

select Edit from the pulldown menu, then Copy

then in the TankNet reply window, Ctrl-v.

#14 Corinthian

Corinthian

• Members
  • 21,320 posts

Posted 03 June 2018 - 2224 PM

https://www.instagra...id=9meeu3sc88i3

ETA:

Can't copy+paste using the broken laptop so took a photo with my phone and uploaded to IG

Edited by Corinthian, 03 June 2018 - 2227 PM.

#15 Corinthian

Corinthian

• Members
  • 21,320 posts

Posted 03 June 2018 - 2232 PM

Ok, this is weird....

I'm at the office now and have the broken lappy. Now, broken lappy has a broken battery, so it's basically a desktop.

A coworker unplugged her mobile phone charger from the socket which affected my lappy, killing the lappy. After replugging it in the socket and rebooting the lappy, the wifi now works.

#16 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 52,560 posts

Posted 04 June 2018 - 0408 AM

There, I told you to get brutal with it didnt I? :)

#17 sunday

sunday

Bronze-age right-wing delusional retard

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11,688 posts
  • Interests:Technology, History

Posted 04 June 2018 - 0516 AM

Perhaps you could look for a disassembling guide in youtube, then open it and check the wifi board.

#18 Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe

purposeful grimace

• Members
  • 31,832 posts

Posted 04 June 2018 - 0737 AM

Instagram says Page Not Found...

If WiFi (including DNS) now works reliably on wall power at home, that tells us something.

WiFi adapters do consume some power, so could be a power supply problem. I would not have expected DNS to fail, though. When you click on a link, one packet goes out to the 1st DNS server, one packet comes back. Seems weird to me that DHCP to your home router works, but DNS doesn't. Its not uncommon for ISP's DNS servers to be a bit flaky, but not so bad that it never works. 

Any other computers in the house having connectivity problems thru your router?

#19 Corinthian

Corinthian

• Members
  • 21,320 posts

Posted 04 June 2018 - 2209 PM

Instagram says Page Not Found...

If WiFi (including DNS) now works reliably on wall power at home, that tells us something.

WiFi adapters do consume some power, so could be a power supply problem. I would not have expected DNS to fail, though. When you click on a link, one packet goes out to the 1st DNS server, one packet comes back. Seems weird to me that DHCP to your home router works, but DNS doesn't. Its not uncommon for ISP's DNS servers to be a bit flaky, but not so bad that it never works. 

Any other computers in the house having connectivity problems thru your router?

I deleted the IG post, sorry.

To clarify, right now, my home laptop (which is now with me at the office) is connected to the internet via my mobile phone which is working as a WiFi hotspot. Since it fixed itself yesterday, the home laptop's wifi connection is still ok.

Haven't tried it at home. I'll only know when I get home after my trip (around 20 June).

Other computers and devices (e.g., phones, tablets) are working without connectivity problems with the home router.

#20 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 52,560 posts

Posted 05 June 2018 - 0201 AM

One other trick ive noticed, if its giving me connectivity problem is to put it into 'plane' mode, and it sometimes resets the connection. You probably tried that of course.

Windows 10, looks very nice but still a pile of junk underneath.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users