7 replies to this topic

#1 Murph

Murph

Hierophant Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,188 posts

Posted 27 June 2018 - 2027 PM

It is time to get a gaming laptop so that I can use my desktop again.  I want a reasonable laptop for the girls to game on so that I can get my desktop system back so I can do some gaming.  I want to keep the price down, so that I am looking at the following systems:

HP Omen 15.6" :   https://www.bestbuy....p?skuId=6123334  adding 8 more gb for a total of 16 gb of ram.  

https://www.bestbuy....p?skuId=6025400  The only negative I have heard on the Acer is that it gets hot, too hot, and throttles to much for long gaming.  

I want as minimum specs: 7700 processor, 1050ti video, 16 gb ram, ssd plus regular HD.  

I am leaning to the HP, but the Acer has great specs and I like HP laptops.  17.3" is a little large, and would be a little awkward to carry on trips.  So anyone have any suggestions?  

#2 Corinthian

Corinthian

Stone Age Bitter Delusional Retard

• Members
  • 21,322 posts
  • Interests:Wholesome stuff.

Posted 27 June 2018 - 2123 PM

Overheating. My main laptop is a gaming laptop. It gets quite hot. It's now basically a desktop as the battery is dead. It gets quite hot. The problem also is the video graphics. Can't upgrade easily like a desktop. I don't play games that much and use the laptop for video editing and photo processing. It's ok for that use. Haven't got any major issues with mine for the past 6 years since I got it. MSI GP70 I think is the model, exact model I can't recall right now. 17" i7 with 16 RAM and swapped out the DVD for a caddy where the HDD resides, and the SSD as main/OS drive. When it was new, battery life was expected - just over an hour or so and need to charge IIRC.

I personally prefer a minimum of 15.4" for laptops. Brought my gaming laptop when I traveled and it was HEAVY but well worth it as I got to process my photos and edit videos when I was back at my inn after field excursions.

Edited by Corinthian, 27 June 2018 - 2125 PM.

#3 CT96

CT96

Deputy Assistant Secretary to the Dragon Slayer Apprentice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,624 posts
  • Interests:Miltary History, Geopolitics, Computers

Posted 27 June 2018 - 2138 PM

Don't think of Gaming Laptops as Laptops. Think of them as hot portable computers.

I have an Alienware 17 running Mint 18 that I am using to type this on. It sits on a board that keeps the heat off of me by being able to span between the arms of my chair. I can melt wax over the keys - and that's if I'm NOT running a game. 

It's a nice powerful machine, but the battery life is about an hour, and hardware upgrades are a royal PITA. I never haul it most places, but it serves the need I have for it - and it is my principle personal computing device (As opposed to the developer workstation I have at work etc).

I hope to still be using this laptop at the 5 or even 8 year old age point. The only reason I might not is the heating. It simply won't last as well due to the thermal loading. I've already had to have the main board replaced due to hardware failure - and I don't know if it is due to that thermal load or a defect. Either way, I'm already looking towards longer-term replacements.

#4 Murph

Murph

Hierophant Lord

• Members
  • 18,188 posts

Posted 27 June 2018 - 2159 PM

The heating issue is one that I am concerned with at this time.  Victoria plays Final Fantasy XV, Tomb Raider, Ghost Recon Wildlands, etc on my computer.  I want a reasonable system that will give her 40-60 fps on a 15.6" HD screen.  Best Buy has a 3 year extended warranty that will cover many of the issues with the laptop and one battery replacement.  I like the systems that have the boot ssd and the storage HD.  My laptop is the HP Spectre x360 running Mint, with the Macbook hooked to the TV to play movies (that is all the use I can find for it right now).  I just wonder how well the HP will hold up under heat load?

#5 CT96

CT96

Deputy Assistant Secretary to the Dragon Slayer Apprentice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,624 posts
  • Interests:Miltary History, Geopolitics, Computers

Posted 27 June 2018 - 2233 PM

Heat and computers don't mix. Period. You can get away with it for a while, but it will prematurely age it.

If I don't use my gaming laptop for gaming, it stays cool enough that it should be fine... but once I fire up a game.... it gets hot in a hurry. Sitting largely idle I'm seeing temps about 46C. When running all out temps run closer to 80C (that's GPU/CPU core temp, not surface temp).

I did not get the extended warranty, but as I look at it now, for a gaming laptop it probably IS worth it. Barely. My plan is to move the gaming to a desktop which will be far more able to handle the load, and just use the "gaming" laptop for more traditional things, for as long as it lasts. 

#6 Murph

Murph

Hierophant Lord

• Members
  • 18,188 posts

Posted 27 June 2018 - 2249 PM

I understand, and I do my gaming on my desktop, but I almost have to get permission from my daughter to use my own computer :).  I think for Victoria it would be a great thing so she could leave mine alone....:)

#7 Panzermann

Panzermann

REFORGER '79

• Members
  • 16,051 posts

Posted 28 June 2018 - 1045 AM

Give your current desktop to your daughters and buy yourself a new one? a good excuse as any other.

As CT96 has said. They are not laptops. Gaming "laptops" are hot compact portable computers. That run hot. Did I mention hot? Only reason I can see for these is, when you live in one of those japanese coffin hotels and thus have not much room.

Otherwise a compact ITX or mini ITX box does just fine at saving space.

#8 Murph

Murph

Hierophant Lord

• Members
  • 18,188 posts

Posted 28 June 2018 - 1910 PM

I went ahead and got this one today, with all the accessories I wanted:  https://www.bestbuy....p?skuId=6212435  It had the 16 gb of ram, and the 128 gb ssd.  It took me over five hours to update it, and I got a BSOD that was not good during the process of updating to 1803.  But now it is stable and working.  I got all the accessories; game controller (Logitech F310), gaming mouse (Logitech 602), WD 1TB external, extended three year warranty and Logitech headphones so with local sales tax, it was under $1600, which was not bad.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users