89 replies to this topic

#1 Jim Warford

Jim Warford

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4,079 posts

Posted 04 July 2018 - 0112 AM

Just back from Tankfest...had a great time at a great three-day event! I ran into "The Chieftain" and Harkonnen, and also met David Fletcher while I was there. Tiger 131, Fury, and Megatron were also present. Here are the first few of my pics from the event:

Megatron_Tankfest%202018_1.jpg

Jim_T-72_Tankfest%202018_1.jpg

Challenger%201%20Weapons%20Systems%20Dem

#2 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

Of the Veronica Cartwright Ilk

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 48,019 posts

Posted 05 July 2018 - 0623 AM

That last one is the turret test rig. Is that actually on display now, or is that in the reserve collection?

#3 Inhapi

Inhapi

Wielder of the Unicorn Hat

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 446 posts
  • Interests:Tanks, warships, polar exploration, ancient history,astronomy and space exploration,Ancient Egypt, harpsichords, Baroque and Classisist music, buying far too many books.

Posted 05 July 2018 - 0936 AM

Test rig for what exactly, and converted from which turret ?

#4 Jim Warford

Jim Warford

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4,079 posts

Posted 05 July 2018 - 1223 PM

Yes, it's the Challenger 1 Weapons Systems Demonstrator...it's still in the reserve collection. It's stored in the same building WoT used for all their stuff...here's the data board:

#5 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 48,019 posts

Posted 05 July 2018 - 1241 PM

Thanks for that Jim. Its a pity its not on proper display, ive always wanted a good look at it.

Inhapi, I think it was just purpose built, Im not sure it was based on anything. I think it was put together to look at new stabilizer and GPS systems, from the age of it Im guess it may have some connection with MBT80. As it happens ive got an R/O brochure somewhere that shows the same turret (or its twin) mounted on a Chieftain Hull. Its now on a Challenger 1 hull so I guess it played a role in Challenger 2's development. An interesting thing.

#6 methos

methos

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 847 posts

Posted 05 July 2018 - 1459 PM

Yes, it's the Challenger 1 Weapons Systems Demonstrator...it's still in the reserve collection. It's stored in the same building WoT used for all their stuff...here's the data board:

"Did you know? Much of the equipment fitted to this vehicle was superior to the equipment eventually fitted to Challenger 2 when it entered service."

That's a burn.

#7 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 48,019 posts

Posted 06 July 2018 - 0153 AM

As the USAF says, 'Always remember your Airplane was built by the lowest bidder'. Oldest rule in defence procurement Id guess.

#8 Panzermann

Panzermann

REFORGER '79

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14,412 posts

Posted 06 July 2018 - 0735 AM

As the USAF says, 'Always remember your Airplane was built by the lowest bidder'. Oldest rule in defence procurement Id guess.

British Army has cheaped out many times over the last decades and bought inferiour equipment. Challenger and Chieftain both suffer(ed) from cheapening out, when compared to the contemporary other NATO tanks.

#9 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 48,019 posts

Posted 06 July 2018 - 0743 AM

I think there is a basic misunderstanding of what I said. Im not saying the Challenger 2 was cheap rubbish. Im suggesting ANY  piece of military equipment exhibits the issue of working to a budget. You can talk to many on here who regard the first M1's first TIS as inferior to that on the M60A3. Or the MFD on the F18C is inferior at displaying information from a Litening pod than on the Harrier, despite it using an identical pod.

Its value engineering. The Challenger 2 was no better or worse than any other tank in that respect. Its just had to go far longer without a MLU than most. Thats all. Hopefully we will see that rectified soon.

Edited by Stuart Galbraith, 06 July 2018 - 0750 AM.

#10 Panzermann

Panzermann

REFORGER '79

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14,412 posts

Posted 06 July 2018 - 2014 PM

I think there is a basic misunderstanding of what I said. Im not saying the Challenger 2 was cheap rubbish. Im suggesting ANY  piece of military equipment exhibits the issue of working to a budget. You can talk to many on here who regard the first M1's first TIS as inferior to that on the M60A3. Or the MFD on the F18C is inferior at displaying information from a Litening pod than on the Harrier, despite it using an identical pod.

Its value engineering. The Challenger 2 was no better or worse than any other tank in that respect. Its just had to go far longer without a MLU than most. Thats all. Hopefully we will see that rectified soon.

The difference between TTS and Abrams TIS is easy to explain. The TTS is simply younger than the TIS and we are talking semiconductors. Of course it had a higher resolution than what the A0 and A1 Abrams TIS had because it was developed later Has less to do with budget, but point in time.

eh sorry, MLU? :huh:

#11 shep854

shep854

• Members
  • 19,305 posts
  • Interests:Military History, Aviation

Posted 06 July 2018 - 2108 PM

Nick Moran gave you, Jim, a shout-out on his video with the Military History Visualized host, about 45 min. in.

Edited by shep854, 06 July 2018 - 2110 PM.

#12 Jim Warford

Jim Warford

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4,079 posts

Posted 06 July 2018 - 2201 PM

Nick Moran gave you, Jim, a shout-out on his video with the Military History Visualized host, about 45 min. in.

Thanks Shep! Well, some folks become more distinguished over the years, while others just get older. :)

#13 Jim Warford

Jim Warford

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4,079 posts

Posted 06 July 2018 - 2232 PM

Premium_Directors%20Enclosure_Showguide_

Tiger%20II_Pre-Production_Tankfest%20201

#14 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 48,019 posts

Posted 07 July 2018 - 0213 AM

I must get down there again. Ive not been for at least a decade and they clearly have changed everything.

#15 wendist

wendist

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted 07 July 2018 - 1410 PM

The difference between TTS and Abrams TIS is easy to explain. The TTS is simply younger than the TIS and we are talking semiconductors. Of course it had a higher resolution than what the A0 and A1 Abrams TIS had because it was developed later Has less to do with budget, but point in time.

"Mid Life Uppgrade" would be my guess.

#16 Panzermann

Panzermann

REFORGER '79

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14,412 posts

Posted 07 July 2018 - 1637 PM

ah yes thank you. th_smiley_emoticons_doh.gif

#17 Jim Warford

Jim Warford

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4,079 posts

Posted 07 July 2018 - 2341 PM

M103A2_Tankfest%202018_1.jpg

M103A2_IS-3M_Tankfest%202018_1.jpg

#18 DogDodger

DogDodger

Cornre durg dealing ilk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,475 posts
  • Interests:tanks, driving, hockey

Posted 08 July 2018 - 0037 AM

Love the last shot.

#19 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 48,019 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 0247 AM

Yeah.

I actually had a conversation with one of the guys speccing that project. Reading between the lines of what he said, its primarily to replace obsolete parts, and hence made the fleet more useable. Or at least will be, when the Treasury provide the funding for it.

Edited by Stuart Galbraith, 08 July 2018 - 0248 AM.

#20 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 48,019 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 0249 AM

M103A2_Tankfest%202018_1.jpg

M103A2_IS-3M_Tankfest%202018_1.jpg

Thats interesting, I didnt know the JSIII was a runner. Id certainly not seen it operating last time I went in 2009.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users