260 replies to this topic

#81 patteng

patteng

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 291 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 24 June 2009 - 2058 PM

Belated congrats! (I missed the thread being stickied) I have an 8 month old now, and know the joy (and late nights).

#82 shep854

shep854

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,054 posts
  • Interests:Military History, Aviation

Posted 25 June 2009 - 0738 AM

This popped up on StrategyPage this morning:

http://www.strategyp...s/20090625.aspx

Different Strokes For Different Folks
June 25, 2009:
"Canadian officers in Afghanistan are having a hard time convincing their American counterparts to bring some M-1 tanks along with the additional combat brigades arriving this year."

#83 Guest_JamesG123_*

Guest_JamesG123_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 June 2009 - 0927 AM

Not gonna happen when the man at the top is ordering troops to break contact with the enemy if there is a chance a civilian could get hurt...

#84 Unreal John

Unreal John

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,587 posts
  • Interests:military affairs in general, concentrating on WW II

Posted 25 June 2009 - 1601 PM

Not gonna happen when the man at the top is ordering troops to break contact with the enemy if there is a chance a civilian could get hurt...

My understanding of the command guidance is that resolving tactical problems with air-dropped ordnance is now very strongly discouraged. A proper response to that is "Panzer marsch!".... if you have the Panzers.

#85 Guest_JamesG123_*

Guest_JamesG123_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 June 2009 - 2143 PM

http://online.wsj.co...3906452085.html

While I intellectually understand and agree with the thinking behind it, the tactical implications are unpalatable. It will increase the times that the enemy will get a "free lick", breaking contact under fire will produce extra casualties, and there is a good chance that the insurgents and Afghan population perceive this as fear/cowardice instead of benevolence.

#86 Corinthian

Corinthian

Stone Age Bitter Delusional Retard

• Members
  • 21,292 posts
  • Interests:Wholesome stuff.

Posted 26 June 2009 - 0308 AM

http://online.wsj.co...3906452085.html

While I intellectually understand and agree with the thinking behind it, the tactical implications are unpalatable. It will increase the times that the enemy will get a "free lick", breaking contact under fire will produce extra casualties, and there is a good chance that the insurgents and Afghan population perceive this as fear/cowardice instead of benevolence.

Considering how much shedding blood in battle is thought of by some tribal cultures and religious extremists, the ref bolded red bit above isn't far from the truth.

Alas, some people who think they are "enlightened" and "touchy-feely" think breaking contact is a noble gesture that will "promote understanding and thus peace." :rolleyes: It'll only encourage the opposition to use of "human shields" IMO. (Achmed: "Hey look Abdullah! The heathen dogs stop firing and retreat when there are women and children! Let us ensure we have women and children when we go to battle!")

#87 Manic Moran

Manic Moran

Mad Irish Tanking Ilk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9,544 posts
  • Interests:Blowing things up, scale modelling, wargaming.

Posted 26 June 2009 - 2334 PM

Following close behind James, we've made it as far as Manas.

Beautiful weather, and majestic mountains in the background.

NTM

#88 Guest_JamesG123_*

Guest_JamesG123_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 June 2009 - 0932 AM

Cool. Get a massage, but don't pay for internet at the Greenbean. You can get free wi-fi at "Shooters" and they screw up your network connection there.

#89 Manic Moran

Manic Moran

Mad Irish Tanking Ilk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9,544 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 0633 AM

Bagram kindof sucks. Afghanistan has certainly been second-fiddle. I was expecting something almost akin to Anaconda, if not better given the two-year headstart, but the place is a bit of a dump. Lots of construction now, though, the funds tap has been turned on.

Trying to figure out if a Lee Enfield Mk1 (pre 1898) counts as an 'antique rifle' or not: It does shoot .303 rounds, after all, not incredibly uncommon.

Took a chopper to our home for the next nine months, Methar-Lam. Still sorting out the place, but as you can see, I've found an Internet connection. Cell phone works great.

NTM

#90 shep854

shep854

• Members
  • 20,054 posts
  • Interests:Military History, Aviation

Posted 01 July 2009 - 0803 AM

Manic, will the cell service over there support an internet "air card" (cellular modem)? That is my primary connection, and it's plenty fast for me.

Edited by shep854, 01 July 2009 - 0804 AM.

#91 ShotMagnet

ShotMagnet

Intercalating

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4,727 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 2243 PM

Trying to figure out if a Lee Enfield Mk1 (pre 1898) counts as an 'antique rifle'

Per Wiki: "...the 1930 Smoot-Hawley Tariff Act defined an antique as "works of art (except rugs and carpets made after the year 1700), collections in illustration of the progress of the arts, works in bronze, marble, terra cotta, parian, pottery or porcelain, artistic antiquities and objects of ornamental character or educational value which shall have been produced prior to the year 1830."[citation needed] 1830 was roughly the beginning of mass production in the U.S."

Not that I necessarily agree. I seem to recall a US Customs definition which is firearm-specific, which (going from memory) labels any firearm manufactured before 1875 as an antique.

Shot

#92 rmgill

rmgill

Strap-hanger

• Members
  • 23,211 posts
  • Interests:WWII Armor, Ferrets, Dingos, Humbers, etc...

Posted 01 July 2009 - 2318 PM

Bagram kindof sucks. Afghanistan has certainly been second-fiddle. I was expecting something almost akin to Anaconda, if not better given the two-year headstart, but the place is a bit of a dump. Lots of construction now, though, the funds tap has been turned on.

Trying to figure out if a Lee Enfield Mk1 (pre 1898) counts as an 'antique rifle' or not: It does shoot .303 rounds, after all, not incredibly uncommon.

Took a chopper to our home for the next nine months, Methar-Lam. Still sorting out the place, but as you can see, I've found an Internet connection. Cell phone works great.

NTM

You got a UAV unit there? Look for a Lt Luther. she's a friend of mine. I think she's still at Bagram.

RE the Enfield? Want me to call ATF and make sure? I think that's what you're looking for no? If it IS an antique then it should be importable.

BATFE's definition is from my understanding the following:
Antique firearm. (a) Any firearm (including any firearm with a matchlock, flintlock, percussion cap, or similar type of ignition system) manufactured in or before 1898; and (B) any replica of any firearm described in paragraph (a) of this definition if such replica (1) is not designed or redesigned for using rimfire or conventional centerfire fixed ammunition, or (2) uses rimfire or conventional centerfire fixed ammunition which is no longer manufactured in the United States and which is not readily available in the ordinary channels of commercial trade.

Martini Henry's for example fire fixed ammo BUT are antiques due to the date of manufacture.

#93 Guest_JamesG123_*

Guest_JamesG123_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 July 2009 - 0527 AM

The rule Nick is refering to is the US military regulation that firearms have to be pre 1898 to be shipped home as a regular souviner. Past that it counts as a 'real' weapon/war prize and there are alot more hoops to jump thru to get home.

If you think BAF is a dump you should see Camp Phoenix!

#94 Rubberneck

Rubberneck

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5,695 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 2030 PM

It's any single shot rifle before 1898. No automatic weapons from any era can be brought home, and no single shot weapons from after 1898 are allowed back.

Nick, you need to get an expert to go with you to the bazaars when you go rifle shopping. There are a TON of fakes and reproductions around. Pass this info around to the lads as well...you don't want to pay through the nose for a second hand copy. Usually, if it looks to good (or new) to be true, it is.

Congrats on the child, stay safe and say hello to Scott for me.

#95 Corinthian

Corinthian

Stone Age Bitter Delusional Retard

• Members
  • 21,292 posts
  • Interests:Wholesome stuff.

Posted 02 July 2009 - 2135 PM

Nick, you need to get an expert to go with you to the bazaars when you go rifle shopping. There are a TON of fakes and reproductions around. Pass this info around to the lads as well...you don't want to pay through the nose for a second hand copy. Usually, if it looks to good (or new) to be true, it is.

ISTR watching on BBC or some other cable channel about the gunsmiths in Afghanistan, and they were making old rifles from tin or whatever metal they get, plus some wood. I could not recall what the guns were, if they were Enfield clones or something even simpler/more primitive.

#96 Rubberneck

Rubberneck

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5,695 posts

Posted 03 July 2009 - 0816 AM

It's not just Afghanistan. There is a cottage industry with reproductions in Pakistan as well.

Now, all that being said, there is more ordinance and weaponry in Afghanistan that you can shake a stick at. Even in 2006, caches of old Enfields and Martini-Henry's were being unearthed in caves and other stashes.

#97 Manic Moran

Manic Moran

Mad Irish Tanking Ilk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9,544 posts

Posted 04 July 2009 - 0751 AM

It's not just Afghanistan. There is a cottage industry with reproductions in Pakistan as well.

Now, all that being said, there is more ordinance and weaponry in Afghanistan that you can shake a stick at. Even in 2006, caches of old Enfields and Martini-Henry's were being unearthed in caves and other stashes.

On that note, I finally sat down tonight to try to figure out what the hell the bazooka-like thingy on wheels was they had lying around in front of the TOC. Finally pegged it as an SPG-82. As soon as I had done that, the S-3 walks into the TOC carrying what looked a lot like a Lewis gun. Figured it out as a DP-28.

And I was impressed when I found a Webley in Iraq...

4th July. Got a bit of a block party/BBQ going. Waiting for the 155mm fireworks.

NTM

#98 Rocky Davis

Rocky Davis

Old Broken Down Retired Tanker

• Members
  • 22,980 posts
  • Interests:Squirrel-hunting
    Cooking
    Billiards

Posted 04 July 2009 - 0826 AM

NTM

Did a search on Methar-Lam and came up with this:

http://www.defendame...otogallery.html

#99 Ssnake

Ssnake

Virtual Shiva Beast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6,255 posts
  • Interests:Contemporary armor - tactics and technology

Posted 04 July 2009 - 0832 AM

News from Scott, he's now deployed in a valley to the northwest of Jalalabad. MRAPs, EOD.

#100 Manic Moran

Manic Moran

Mad Irish Tanking Ilk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9,544 posts

Posted 04 July 2009 - 1224 PM

News from Scott, he's now deployed in a valley to the northwest of Jalalabad. MRAPs, EOD.

Well, there's a coincidence!

(He's my boss)

NTM

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users