Photo

What The #$%& Is With The State Of Gaming In General?

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#61 Simon Tan

Simon Tan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,189 posts
  • Interests:tanks. More tanks. Guns. BIG GUNs!

Posted 27 December 2018 - 0041 AM

How is this different from any large billion dollar corporation? The money men always kill the goose.

#62 DB

DB

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10,995 posts

Posted 27 December 2018 - 0928 AM

it isn't. I think that's the point. Once the MBAs and lawyers move in, the skill (if there was ever any) drains away.

#63 Harold Jones

Harold Jones

Shaken but not deterred...

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8,881 posts
  • Interests:Armor, History, Fishing and Beer

Posted 27 December 2018 - 1308 PM

Also don't discount the fact that the devs may not actually understand what it is about their successful game that was responsible for its success.

#64 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

Just Another Salisbury Tourist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 51,035 posts

Posted 27 December 2018 - 1416 PM

You would be surprised how often that happens. The guys I contract for have the distribution rights for Microsoft FSX on steam. So they built an updated version of it with DLC in mind, and made it difficult if not impossible for guys to create their own mods and content. Not surprisingly it bombed, and they withdrew it from sale only months after release. it looked and flew very nice, but they had thrown out pretty much everything that made FSX a success for the past 14 years, its mod-ability.

Well I make trainsims so ive no right to complain, but sometimes you want to shake devs because they dont grasp the potential of what they have. And incompletely undestand what the communities want and put a lot of extraneous fluff in it. Best example of that was Tropico, which was one of the most fun strategy games I ever played. One of the follow ups I played was an absolute bore.

Edited by Stuart Galbraith, 27 December 2018 - 1417 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users