3451 replies to this topic

#3441 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

Of the Veronica Cartwright Ilk

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 45,993 posts

Posted Today, 02:10 AM

And what the EU does not realise, and would seem to have hit upon hard brexit as a good negotiating technique, is that the right wing of the Conservative party want a hard Brexit for ideological purposes. And the PM is fighting a losing rearguard action against it. Every time they bleat about how something is not a good position, they are just tightening the noose around their neck. Do they actually think they are going to get a better deal from Boris Johnson or Jeremy Corbyn, because I can tell you, they will be disappointed.

Like I said before, we will get a hard Brexit most like, despite both sides not actually wanting one.  And whilst there is enough posturing going on here to fill out an episode of Celebrity Big Brother, neither side is going to remotely benefit from it. The Italians are screaming blue murder at the moment because they can see all their wine and food produce no longer selling in the UK. But who in Brussels is listening? Who frankly cares, as long as they encourage nobody else to leave. Thats all that is going through their minds at the moment.

#3442 Mistral

Mistral

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,363 posts
  • Interests:Military history, computer wargames.

Posted Today, 02:17 AM

What people fail to understand is that a hard Brexit offers risks for some but great economic opportunities for others and that they are both called EU.

#3443 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 45,993 posts

Posted Today, 02:37 AM

You should tell the Italians that. They will be thrilled.

https://www.express....rexit-eu-budget

#3444 Soren Ras

Soren Ras

Molehill Mountaineer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,127 posts
  • Interests:This Theater of the Absurd

Posted Today, 02:39 AM

TBH, it would seem that to get as hard Brexit as possible EU needs to do exactly nothing. I mean that is the "no effort" option...

This is exactly the type of effort the EU excels at...

Soren

#3445 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 45,993 posts

Posted Today, 02:40 AM

Im not sure why the EU commision hate's the British Government so much. They must surely recognise kindred spirits. :)

#3446 Soren Ras

Soren Ras

Molehill Mountaineer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,127 posts
  • Interests:This Theater of the Absurd

Posted Today, 02:44 AM

the people that run it now would rather completely fail rather than surrender their idea of what the EU should be.

Bingo.

Soren

#3447 Mistral

Mistral

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,363 posts
  • Interests:Military history, computer wargames.

Posted Today, 03:01 AM

And the Bulgarian and Slovakian entities which will pick up the slack of UK agricultural imports to the EU should care because? The UK wanted out because of the percieved infringment on state rights and now that the EU acts like a powerless entity who can not agree on anything (what a surprise) want the EU to impose its will on member states? There are countries in the EU that will benefit from a hard Brexit and they can achieve it by doing exactly nothing.

They are not advertising it but they sure are preparing to benefit from it.
2.5% of all Bulgarian exports are to the UK. Dairy products are 4.5% of their total exports. Thats only dairy products, never mind other food stuffs. From their point of view its an opportinity, not a risk. For the Italian wine producers its a huge risk, but they are not Italians.

EU is not a single country with a central government to decide everything.

My uncle is a big pork farmer, he mainly exports to the EU, he is salivating at the chance of increasing his share at the expense of UK exporters who exported 48.000 tons as of last Month to the EU. If that comes at the cost of Italian wine producers, well thats life.

Edited by Mistral, Today, 03:02 AM.

#3448 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 45,993 posts

Posted Today, 04:22 AM

And the Bulgarian and Slovakian entities which will pick up the slack of UK agricultural imports to the EU should care because? The UK wanted out because of the percieved infringment on state rights and now that the EU acts like a powerless entity who can not agree on anything (what a surprise) want the EU to impose its will on member states? There are countries in the EU that will benefit from a hard Brexit and they can achieve it by doing exactly nothing.

2.5% of all Bulgarian exports are to the UK. Dairy products are 4.5% of their total exports. Thats only dairy products, never mind other food stuffs. From their point of view its an opportinity, not a risk. For the Italian wine producers its a huge risk, but they are not Italians.

My uncle is a big pork farmer, he mainly exports to the EU, he is salivating at the chance of increasing his share at the expense of UK exporters who exported 48.000 tons as of last Month to the EU. If that comes at the cost of Italian wine producers, well thats life.

So lets look at it like this. The Italians are aggrieved that they can no longer export to the UK. They hold the EU responsible. They decide to have a referendum, which to my mind witht he Government they have cannot be excluded as a possiblity. Assuming a knock on effect of this country cant export to that country, what is precisely to stop the possiblity of the entire EU being unzipped in this manner?

My father best friend lives in portugal right now. He says the locals are all saying the British had the right idea and they ought to do the same. Personally I think they are wrong, but that is not the same as saying the EU is going to be able to compensate for the funds or the market they are losing, particularly among those countries that are already seeing all their industry and jobs zip off to Germany due to the common market, which is essentially what happened to the UK and Italy. Its very easy to sneer at those Italians and say 'so what'. This is precisely the attitude that led people in the UK to vote the way they did.

Is anyone taking any notes? Because it sure doesnt look like it to me.

#3449 BansheeOne

BansheeOne

Bullshit filter overload, venting into civility charger

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12,636 posts

Posted Today, 04:35 AM

As I've stated before, the EU is acting on the requirements resulting from the form of its organization based upon member states which have a largely equal say in its affairs. The term of a "union" is really just an expression of hopeful ambition for a future Eurostate; "confederation" would have been much more apt, but probably too realistic to be adopted by idealistic/nefarious promoters of an ever-closer union, depending upon your personal view.

#3450 Panzermann

Panzermann

REFORGER '79

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13,461 posts

Posted Today, 08:42 AM

Im not sure why the EU commision hate's the British Government so much. They must surely recognise kindred spirits. :)

Nothing is bigger than the hate between siblings, because they are too similar. ;)

#3451 Panzermann

Panzermann

REFORGER '79

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13,461 posts

Posted Today, 08:51 AM

As I've stated before, the EU is acting on the requirements resulting from the form of its organization based upon member states which have a largely equal say in its affairs. The term of a "union" is really just an expression of hopeful ambition for a future Eurostate; "confederation" would have been much more apt, but probably too realistic to be adopted by idealistic/nefarious promoters of an ever-closer union, depending upon your personal view.

Should have stayed with the "community" term before the rebranding. But then they have also imposed those silly blue stripes on each car license plate to create the deception of a european unity or something. :glare:

OTOH the states of the USA are in many matters more sovereign than EU memberstates. And this was I assume built intentionally into the EU so that  unpopular measures can be played via the EU and to keep decisions away from the citizens. For example the recent half-failed attempt of the media industry to lawyer and lobby their way to profits. (there is a second round in september to finally pass it).

#3452 Panzermann

Panzermann

REFORGER '79

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13,461 posts

Posted Today, 08:54 AM

So lets look at it like this. The Italians are aggrieved that they can no longer export to the UK. They hold the EU responsible. They decide to have a referendum, which to my mind witht he Government they have cannot be excluded as a possiblity. Assuming a knock on effect of this country cant export to that country, what is precisely to stop the possiblity of the entire EU being unzipped in this manner?

My father best friend lives in portugal right now. He says the locals are all saying the British had the right idea and they ought to do the same. Personally I think they are wrong, but that is not the same as saying the EU is going to be able to compensate for the funds or the market they are losing, particularly among those countries that are already seeing all their industry and jobs zip off to Germany due to the common market, which is essentially what happened to the UK and Italy. Its very easy to sneer at those Italians and say 'so what'. This is precisely the attitude that led people in the UK to vote the way they did.

Is anyone taking any notes? Because it sure doesnt look like it to me.

Those that make the politics obviously do not heed the warning signs that their mercantilist ways only build division and resentment. And then they act all surprised that more and more people are angry at the EU and Germany.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users