132 replies to this topic

#1 Inhapi

Inhapi

Wielder of the Unicorn Hat

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 14 January 2020 - 1236 PM

The BDRM 2: was it any good ? i always liked the look of the vehicle, but have no idea how it performed.

Thanks.

#2 GARGEAN

GARGEAN

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,194 posts

Posted 14 January 2020 - 1607 PM

As usual: define good)
It was quite early recon vehicle. Very mobile, good off-road, amphibious, armed with HMG+. So don't see what really bad can be said about it, aside from maybe it staying too long in its initial form and thus becoming obsolete in terms of recon equipment itself.

#3 Chris Werb

Chris Werb

In Zod We Trust

• Staff
  • PipPip
  • 11,177 posts

Posted 17 January 2020 - 0725 AM

Have there been any national efforts to update the vehicle with more modern sensors and comms?  Are the Russians doing so and, if not, what are they replacing it with?

#4 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

Just Another Salisbury Tourist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 56,812 posts

Posted 17 January 2020 - 0749 AM

Last I heard Russia was fitting it with thermal sights and (IIRC) a battlefield data system. Though frankly I think they would be far better to bin them and start over with the Tigr.

Georgia have fitted them with a mini 20mm turret I noticed the other day.

Depends on what you want from a recce vehicle I guess. Ive never been that impressed by it, i think its far too big considering how well armed it is (its actually taller in profile than a CVR/T) The BRDM1 at least had a nicely low profile.

#5 Chris Werb

Chris Werb

In Zod We Trust

• Staff
  • PipPip
  • 11,177 posts

Posted 17 January 2020 - 0815 AM

I bet it's a lot less noisy than a CVRT :)  I also would not want to be on the wrong end of a KPV.

#6 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 56,812 posts

Posted 17 January 2020 - 0824 AM

Quieter, but from the view videos ive found on youtube not plastered with annoying music, its not exactly stealthy either. Sounds more like a deuce and a half truck.

#7 Inhapi

Inhapi

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 17 January 2020 - 1135 AM

What about its ant bellying wheels ? were these effective ? And if effective, were they worth the sapce/weight they took ?

I'm not inot post WWII vehicles, but i have a vague mememory that these wheels were later removed.

Edited by Inhapi, 17 January 2020 - 1141 AM.

#8 Inhapi

Inhapi

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 17 January 2020 - 1137 AM

Stuart: I think we can agree that the CRVT was one of the most outstanding post WWII designs ever for its role.....

Edited by Inhapi, 17 January 2020 - 1142 AM.

#9 Inhapi

Inhapi

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 17 January 2020 - 1139 AM

Stuart: I think we can agree that the CRVT was one of the most outstanding designs ever for its role.....

It seems the British were excellent at producing light/small armoured vehicles (Universal carrier, Dingo, Ferret, CVRT, Daimler AC, and i must have missed a few)

#10 Chris Werb

Chris Werb

In Zod We Trust

• Staff
  • PipPip
  • 11,177 posts

Posted 17 January 2020 - 1200 PM

Stuart: I think we can agree that the CRVT was one of the most outstanding post WWII designs ever for its role.....

Go to Steel Beasts and try crewing one there. You might change your mind :)  

#11 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 56,812 posts

Posted 17 January 2020 - 1215 PM

Because they model a 20th century vehicle in a 21st century world. Cvrt was badly outmoded in 2016, but it surely was the best recce platform in the world in 1976. Everything has a shelf life. Last I saw there was also no modelling of camouflage, which would be life blood to cvrt in the recce role.

Do they model Scorpion yet? I know they could model scimitar, because I have them the Fox gunnery manual.

Edited by Stuart Galbraith, 17 January 2020 - 1216 PM.

#12 Chris Werb

Chris Werb

In Zod We Trust

• Staff
  • PipPip
  • 11,177 posts

Posted 17 January 2020 - 1251 PM

Because they model a 20th century vehicle in a 21st century world. Cvrt was badly outmoded in 2016, but it surely was the best recce platform in the world in 1976. Everything has a shelf life. Last I saw there was also no modelling of camouflage, which would be life blood to cvrt in the recce role.

Do they model Scorpion yet? I know they could model scimitar, because I have them the Fox gunnery manual.

No, sorry, I meant try t the BRDM-2 in game against valid contemporaries - such as Scorpion and Scimitar. Both Scorpion and Scimitar are in game. Not sure if Scorpion is crewable.

#13 Inhapi

Inhapi

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 17 January 2020 - 1325 PM

They are not contemporaries eiter, the BDRM-2 came 11 years before the CVRT. (at a time when AFV tech was changing rapidly)

#14 Chris Werb

Chris Werb

In Zod We Trust

• Staff
  • PipPip
  • 11,177 posts

Posted 17 January 2020 - 1331 PM

They are not contemporaries eiter, the BDRM-2 came 11 years before the CVRT. (at a time when AFV tech was changing rapidly)

You're right that it was around a lot earlier than the CVR(T) but they were contemporaries in service with opposing or potentially opposing armies for a lot of years, which makes them fun to try out against each other in SB. IIRC the last BRDM-2 rolled off the line c. 1989. The last British Army Scorpion left service a couple of years after that.

I love the BRDM-2. It's relatively quiet*, very fast on roads and amphibious with little preparation. I suspect it would ford deeper than the CVR(T). The KPV gets on target fast and is very lethal (not surprising for a round developed for an ATR. It doesn't have the loopy trajectory of the Scorpion's 76mm, nor the comedy loading system of the RARDEN.  Obviously the CVR(T) had better night vision in the 70s, but it was a generation later. I appreciate the capability to carry scouts in game. It's also a VERY small target hull down. I suspect the BRDM-2 would have substantially lower costs of ownership too.

*To be fair, compared to the CVR(T) almost everything is :)

#15 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 56,812 posts

Posted 17 January 2020 - 1436 PM

Yeah, you are right. There isn't much wrong with it compared to a small wheel Ferret. It's outclassed by a Saladin, but that arguably is better compared to PT76.

#16 Stefan Kotsch

Stefan Kotsch

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 885 posts

Posted 17 January 2020 - 1438 PM

A death trap.  4 soldiers and two narrow hatches above at the very front.  I never understood that. However, I heard nothing of technical abnormalities during my service. I was never in a crew of such a "thing".

Edited by Stefan Kotsch, 17 January 2020 - 1439 PM.

#17 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 56,812 posts

Posted 17 January 2020 - 1445 PM

A death trap.  4 soldiers and two narrow hatches above at the very front.  I never understood that. However, I heard nothing of technical abnormalities during my service. I was never in a crew of such a "thing".

Did you ever use the Hungarian variant, the PZsH? Supposedly they solved the hatch problem on that. Seems to have a lower profile too.

#18 Stefan Kotsch

Stefan Kotsch

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 885 posts

Posted 17 January 2020 - 1447 PM

The PSH was only used by the border troops "Grenztruppen".

Edited by Stefan Kotsch, 17 January 2020 - 1447 PM.

#19 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 56,812 posts

Posted 17 January 2020 - 1448 PM

Chris, I think we had Spartans in recce Regiments to carry the scouts. By having a separate vehicle it made it easier to carry weapons like law or even Blowpipe.

Besides, if you want dismounts, the commander can always dismount. :)

You're right that it was around a lot earlier than the CVR(T) but they were contemporaries in service with opposing or potentially opposing armies for a lot of years, which makes them fun to try out against each other in SB. IIRC the last BRDM-2 rolled off the line c. 1989. The last British Army Scorpion left service a couple of years after that.

I love the BRDM-2. It's relatively quiet*, very fast on roads and amphibious with little preparation. I suspect it would ford deeper than the CVR(T). The KPV gets on target fast and is very lethal (not surprising for a round developed for an ATR. It doesn't have the loopy trajectory of the Scorpion's 76mm, nor the comedy loading system of the RARDEN.  Obviously the CVR(T) had better night vision in the 70s, but it was a generation later. I appreciate the capability to carry scouts in game. It's also a VERY small target hull down. I suspect the BRDM-2 would have substantially lower costs of ownership too.

*To be fair, compared to the CVR(T) almost everything is :)

#20 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 56,812 posts

Posted 17 January 2020 - 1450 PM

The PSH was only used by the border troops "Grenztruppen".

Oh is that right? I didn't know that.