1700 replies to this topic

#1641 Panzermann

Panzermann

REFORGER '79

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,901 posts

Posted 13 April 2019 - 0710 AM

Japanese Teen Suspected of Making Yellowcake Uranium Maybe Just Really Into Chemistry, Police Say

That is a real chemist! Blowing up his mom's basement!  ^_^

#1642 JasonJ

JasonJ

nonbiri

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11,649 posts

Posted 13 April 2019 - 2120 PM

As feared, 8 more World War 2 forced labor compensation lawsuits were filed yesterday by Korea and Koreans against Nippon Steel, Mitsubishi Heavy Industries, and Nachi-Fujikoshi.

The implications of the precedent these cases could set for similar lawsuits across Asia, and especially in the state formerly known as Manchukuo, is frightening in various ways.

The worry is that 8 lawsuits and 31 plaintiffs today will multiply exponentially tomorrow.

The MFA has made it clear that Japan would retaliate with economic sanctions against Korea and Koreans if they pursued this approach to wartime compensation. Seoul appears to have raised the stakes.

Will Abe call?

What are the arguments for those companies not paying some sort of compensation to the survivors of such forced labor work?  Are the accusations false? Did the prisoners not experience what is suggested? 

1965 treaty with ROK provided compensation money for the workers. ROK government took what was supposed to be compensation to the workers but used it for other economic projects instead. Those economic projects helped ROK become one of the economic "Asian Tigers". If Korean workers want more compensation, they should seek to get it from the ROK government. But in a lawless place, anyone can make trouble with anyone over anything. History has been abused so much and American pride and America poor history skills have become one of the strongest leverages for the CCP and other commies in these region. They aren't good at many things but one thing they are good at is being cunning. So keep being the indirect convenient tool for them.

Edited by JasonJ, 13 April 2019 - 2130 PM.

#1643 Nobu

Nobu

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,546 posts

Posted 13 April 2019 - 2158 PM

What are the arguments for those companies not paying some sort of compensation to the survivors of such forced labor work?  Are the accusations false? Did the prisoners not experience what is suggested? 

An excellent question, and one that I have discussed with a number of colleagues. The position of the Japanese government is that the provisions of the 1965 Treaty on Basic Relations Between Japan and the Republic of Korea settled all matters regarding compensation for wartime forced labor in a manner similar to the way Japan managed to trade diplomatic recognition of Beijing as the sole government of China in exchange for an agreement that China would not pursue future wartime reparations claims against Japan.

Interestingly, China has maintained its half of this grand bargain to the benefit of Japan and Japanese. 

The accusations, thankfully, have been eroded by time and the fact that many of those survivors of forced labor are no longer alive. The answer to whether the accusations themselves have merit is probably yes, unfortunately, as the reaction of the Japanese government to the possibility of civil forced labor reparations lawsuits has been to threaten economic sanctions against Korea, which, for a nation constitutionally forbidden to wage war, is illustrative of how serious the government considers the danger to be.

The reasons why Korea and Koreans are seeking other avenues of redress, such as individual wartime forced labor claims, are numerous, but in my opinion, the primary one is the political room to maneuver the recent rapprochement between Washington, Seoul, and Pyongyang has given Korea and Koreans regarding matters such as war reparations. Put simply, a hostile and threatening North Korea occupied all of South Korea's attention in various ways, and forced South Korea to fall into line with Washington's united political front against North Korea. Another reason that predates this development was the collapse of the 6-Party framework for talks with North Korea, although at the time, nobody I know would have forseen a result of this collapse as being a wave of Korean sentiment for redress of issues ranging from comfort women to the naming of geographical entities to, most dangerously, the push for reparations using the individual civil damages lawsuits approach on the part of South Korea and Koreans.

Essentially similar in a way to OJ being found not guilty of murder, but being found liable for $25 million in punitive damages by a civil court jury 2 years later.

Edited by Nobu, 13 April 2019 - 2230 PM.

#1644 JasonJ

JasonJ

nonbiri

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11,649 posts

Posted 13 April 2019 - 2210 PM

An excellent question, and one that I have discussed with a number of colleagues. The position of the Japanese government is that the provisions of the 1965 Treaty on Basic Relations Between Japan and the Republic of Korea settled all matters regarding compensation for wartime forced labor in a manner similar to the way Japan managed to trade diplomatic recognition of Beijing as the sole government of China in exchange for an agreement that China would not pursue future wartime reparations claims against Japan.

Interestingly, China has maintained its half of this grand bargain to the benefit of Japan and Japanese.

Strategically speaking, China wants to weed out the US from Japan. Besides the CCP was very tiny back then, so their position for that is a little weak and I recall Mao has said in effect to some extent that the figthing between Japan and Ching-Kai-shek made it possible for the CCP to ride up as the winner in the Chinese Civil War. A separate point, some people have said that the PRC military activities around the East China Sea are really directed at USFJ and not Japan.

#1645 Nobu

Nobu

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,546 posts

Posted 13 April 2019 - 2219 PM

That is a real chemist! Blowing up his mom's basement! 

TEPCO may be hiring.

#1646 JasonJ

JasonJ

nonbiri

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11,649 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 0536 AM

Japanese Teen Suspected of Making Yellowcake Uranium Maybe Just Really Into Chemistry, Police Say

That is a real chemist! Blowing up his mom's basement!  ^_^

Can't blame him if he thinks he can handle the stuff better than the adult world.

#1647 Nobu

Nobu

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,546 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 1124 AM

The longer Korea and Koreans wait to press for individual civil damages, the fewer potential claimants will be alive to do so. This is another reason I believe Koreans are aggressively pursuing civil damages now. Whatever the reasons, stupid or otherwise, they waited so long to, I am thankful for them, as regardless of how bad the current reparations crisis could potentially become, it could have been worse had they started to press 25 years ago.

Edited by Nobu, 14 April 2019 - 1233 PM.

#1648 Panzermann

Panzermann

REFORGER '79

• Members
  • 16,901 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 1510 PM

The longer Korea and Koreans wait to press for individual civil damages, the fewer potential claimants will be alive to do so. This is another reason I believe Koreans are aggressively pursuing civil damages now. Whatever the reasons, stupid or otherwise, they waited so long to, I am thankful for them, as regardless of how bad the current reparations crisis could potentially become, it could have been worse had they started to press 25 years ago.

The (grand)children could sue for damages as well.

#1649 JasonJ

JasonJ

nonbiri

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11,649 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 0805 AM

Other people's taste may vary but this is too cute.

D4LN-jLUUAAau0n.jpg

#1650 Nobu

Nobu

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,546 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 1048 AM

The (grand)children could sue for damages as well.

They certainly could, but their cases for civil damages would be weaker, and the case for Japan's defense would be stronger, based on the reasons for the existence of legal statutes of limitations. Coincidentally or not, Korea recently lifted what had previously been a 25-year statute of limitations on murder in 2015.

The OJ analogy is not a perfect one, but it does frame another aspect of how seriously the Japanese government is taking the recent rash of civil damages lawsuits filed against alleged Japanese corporate users of forced and slave labor. The families were awarded $33.5 million in damages that OJ has simply claimed he does not have. Japanese corporations would not be able to take this approach should they be found similarly liable.

#1651 Murph

Murph

Hierophant Lord

• Members
  • 19,363 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 0553 AM

Other people's taste may vary but this is too cute.

D4LN-jLUUAAau0n.jpg

Nice.

#1652 JasonJ

JasonJ

nonbiri

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11,649 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 0723 AM

Murph, you really are kind, sorry to trouble you.

#1653 Panzermann

Panzermann

REFORGER '79

• Members
  • 16,901 posts

Posted 21 April 2019 - 1242 PM

to get this thread back on track

edith repaired the link

Edited by Panzermann, 21 April 2019 - 1244 PM.

#1654 JasonJ

JasonJ

nonbiri

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11,649 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 0640 AM

These are soooooo important

necessary1.jpg

Especially these.....................

necessary2.jpg

:)

#1655 Mr King

Mr King

Fat Body

• Members
  • 19,418 posts

Posted 05 June 2019 - 1721 PM

This video is oral sex

#1656 Rick

Rick

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4,400 posts

Posted 06 June 2019 - 0506 AM

These are soooooo important

necessary1.jpg

Especially these.....................

necessary2.jpg

:)

Curious, for those of you educated in such things,  how does Japanese beer compare to other countries' brews/

#1657 JasonJ

JasonJ

nonbiri

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11,649 posts

Posted 06 June 2019 - 0623 AM

The canned beers are pretty good for what they are I think. There's the cheap one, mid range cost one, and pricey one. For other kinds of served berevages, plenty of international options are available in some resturants. Also, whenever an Octoberfest is held, lots of people go.

#1658 Mr King

Mr King

Fat Body

• Members
  • 19,418 posts

Posted 13 June 2019 - 2027 PM

I have been watching more of the channel I posted above with the aural sex. The channel has lot of videos of the channel creator going to high end Teppanyaki places and chowing down on Japanese beef. One thing I noticed is the chefs put a TON of salt on the food, even for my greasy junk food American tastes. Then the chefs give him more salt to dip the food in. Is that normal in Japanese cuisine overall, or just particular to Teppanyaki style food? Here in the states all the Teppanyaki places I have been too, its part floor show part dining experience. I wonder what those Japanese chefs from those high end joints would think if they came to the states and saw onion volcanoes and shrimp being tossed across the table into customers mouths and egg penises and hearts being made on the grill lol. 

#1659 JasonJ

JasonJ

nonbiri

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11,649 posts

Posted 14 June 2019 - 0838 AM

That channel has many videos so not sure which has what you describe. But from yakisoba to okonomiyaki, or takoyaki, or typical Izakaya's I can't say I recall seeing salt being used or served at a degree more than the typical little salt bottle that's always on the table, next to the pepper and soy sauce bottles.

#1660 Nobu

Nobu

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,546 posts

Posted 14 June 2019 - 1103 AM

I wonder what those Japanese chefs from those high end joints would think if they came to the states and saw onion volcanoes and shrimp being tossed across the table into customers mouths and egg penises and hearts being made on the grill lol.

Imagine Gordon Ramsay at an Olive Garden.

The sadness.

Edited by Nobu, 14 June 2019 - 1552 PM.