63 replies to this topic

#61 Roman Alymov

Roman Alymov

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,313 posts
  • Interests:Tank recovery

Posted 27 November 2017 - 1541 PM

roman, as usual comfily slides over the fact that society was ´´self-policed´´ by having kgb ´´contact person(s)´´ in every collective. my dad worked in scientific institute - they had one known one, maybe 2 more (they were not sure) (scient. collective size about 100). my high-school estonian language/literature teacher that i revered, turned out to be one etc. local kgb bureaus worked with their contacts, agents, snitches. they themselves usually appeared only on more important cases, thus making it more impressive.

local KGB tried to even infiltrate punk movement, but after couple officers ended up in hospital, due to really heavy alcohol poisoning they kinda backed down  :D

You are mixing  information sources (who provide information post factum - useful for investigation, but too late to prevent damage)  with people able to do active things to prevent or stop misconduct - police officers, operatives etc. Were your father's colleagues or your teacher able to arrest aggressive drunk man in public place? Check suspicions person papers on the street?  React to break-in in progress?

#62 KV7

KV7

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,265 posts

Posted 27 November 2017 - 1808 PM

roman, as usual comfily slides over the fact that society was ´´self-policed´´ by having kgb ´´contact person(s)´´ in every collective. my dad worked in scientific institute - they had one known one, maybe 2 more (they were not sure) (scient. collective size about 100). my high-school estonian language/literature teacher that i revered, turned out to be one etc. local kgb bureaus worked with their contacts, agents, snitches. they themselves usually appeared only on more important cases, thus making it more impressive.

local KGB tried to even infiltrate punk movement, but after couple officers ended up in hospital, due to really heavy alcohol poisoning they kinda backed down  :D

You are mixing  information sources (who provide information post factum - useful for investigation, but too late to prevent damage)  with people able to do active things to prevent or stop misconduct - police officers, operatives etc. Were your father's colleagues or your teacher able to arrest aggressive drunk man in public place? Check suspicions person papers on the street?  React to break-in in progress?

I saw this interesting little documentary on this teams research in China (sadly I cannot find it now); basically they got some actors to act out some altercation in a public place. In most cases random people on the street would intervene and try and diffuse and rectify the situation.

There was this hilarious example where they got some woman to get knocked over by another woman; the one knocked over had her 'special tofu' smashed which caused some mini-crisis in the dinner preparation. After a while some old man came out and calmed them down, then someone tried to find an alternative tofo source etc. It was heart warming.

Edited by KV7, 27 November 2017 - 1816 PM.

#63 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

Novichok is the New Black

• Members
  • 44,029 posts

Posted 28 November 2017 - 0306 AM

Tajikistan Highway patrol? :)

1280px-GAZ-24_%22Volga%22_police_edition

Why Tajikistan?  Nizhny Novgorod (ex-Gorky), memorial commemorating 72th anniversary of traffic police

http://autotravel-nn...y-volge-gaz-24/

This type of memorials is quite popular here

inx960x640.jpg

0_13f7b8_d703f79c_XXL.jpg

62247635.jpg

0_2db48_ebcc79c1_orig.jpg

inx600x400.jpg

%D0%BF%D0%B0%D0%BC%D1%8F%D1%82%D0%BD%D0%

0_10f6a2_306cf46e_orig.jpg

88783285_2.jpg

etc - almost every city got one

You wont get the Tajikistan Highway Control reference unless you have seen this. :D

#64 Roman Alymov

Roman Alymov

• Members
  • 15,313 posts
  • Interests:Tank recovery

Posted 28 November 2017 - 0307 AM

I saw this interesting little documentary on this teams research in China (sadly I cannot find it now); basically they got some actors to act out some altercation in a public place. In most cases random people on the street would intervene and try and diffuse and rectify the situation.

I think it is how any healthy traditional society works – people mostly do not need police, lawyers and judges to fix everyday business.
By the way I think bd1 is seriously underestimating number of people cooperating with KGB in scientific institution he describes (as far as I remember, related to ocean exploration). This field was very security-intensive in Soviet time (as it was linked to accurate maps of sea and seabed, relations with Navy, relations with colleagues from other similar institutes working on classified subjects, relations with foreign colleagues, sea expeditions etc) so most likely they were in focus of regional  KGB office.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users