Photo

Zauralets-D; 2S9 Nona-S Replacement In Russian Army - Status?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Gavin-Phillips

Gavin-Phillips

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,576 posts

Posted 27 April 2019 - 0834 AM

I was reading up on the TSNIITochMash company out of simple curiosity more than anything else and the Wikipedia article listed a "Zauralets-D" under its products.  Unfortunately the page hasn't been linked yet but that doesn't mean to say the vehicle isn't already in production.

I was wondering if this vehicle is already in production (even low-rate is better than nothing) or if its even got that far yet?  The armyrecognition website states that two prototype vehicles should be assembled by the first quarter of 2017.  Should be... :unsure:

The vehicle is intended to replace the somewhat ageing but still useful 2S9 in Russian airborne units and will likely be available in both 120mm and 152mm calibre.  The chassis is based on that of the 2S25M "Sprut" airborne light tank.

According to the same site, batch production may start by the end of 2018, but that's the most recent information I've seen so far concerning this vehicle.

So is there anything concrete and later than that?  Is the program still ongoing? 

#2 GARGEAN

GARGEAN

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,061 posts

Posted 27 April 2019 - 1055 AM

Apparently it was frozen in favor of 2S42 Lotos. Doubt that any were ever really supplied aside from test samples.

#3 Gavin-Phillips

Gavin-Phillips

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,576 posts

Posted 27 April 2019 - 1116 AM

Apparently it was frozen in favor of 2S42 Lotos. Doubt that any were ever really supplied aside from test samples.

Thank you.  It (2S42 Lotos) is yet another weapon system which I was previously completely unaware of.  

#4 GARGEAN

GARGEAN

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,061 posts

Posted 27 April 2019 - 1338 PM

It's quite recent so nothing to be sad about)

#5 TTK Ciar

TTK Ciar

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,986 posts
  • Interests:material engineering, composite armor, GPC, battletank technology

Posted 27 April 2019 - 1806 PM

2S42 is a nice-looking vehicle. Impressive how much capability they can fit in 18 tonnes. Global Security doesn't always like deep linking, so rehosted one of their images to share: afv.russia.2s42.2s42-image04.globalsecur

#6 Olof Larsson

Olof Larsson

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 28 April 2019 - 0557 AM

Does someone have some information on the gun and munition for the russian mortar/howitzers? All I can find is that the guns are rifled and that they are capable of firing all russian and NATO 120mm smoothbore mortar rounds, 120mm rifled mortar rounds and russian 120mm long range munition.

#7 bojan

bojan

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11,439 posts
  • Interests:Obscure tanks and guns.
    Obscure facts about well known tanks and guns.
    Obscure historical facts.

Posted 28 April 2019 - 0606 AM

Russian wiki on 2S31 Vena has all ammo it can use, as well as range with them:

https://ru.wikipedia....org/wiki/2ะก31

There are also pictures of most of the Soviet/Russian ammo for it

#8 Gavin-Phillips

Gavin-Phillips

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,576 posts

Posted 29 April 2019 - 1344 PM

2S42 is a nice-looking vehicle. Impressive how much capability they can fit in 18 tonnes. Global Security doesn't always like deep linking, so rehosted one of their images to share:

If I'd seen that picture elsewhere, I would have more or less assumed that the 2S42 was a mis-identified 2S31 "Vena". Indeed its impressive that the whole vehicle weighs 18ton.  I wonder if the 152mm version would weigh any more than that?  

#9 GARGEAN

GARGEAN

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,061 posts

Posted 29 April 2019 - 1502 PM

It definitely will. 120mm gun-mortar is there for both low weight and low recoil. Changing it to even good ol' 122mm 2A31 from 2S1 will almost triple weight of cannon alone, plus weight of recoil absorbers it will require to work from that hull... I don't say that 152mm can't be fitted, after all we have 2S25 with full power 125mm smoothbore. But it will definitely add quite a lot of weight.

#10 Panzermann

Panzermann

REFORGER '79

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,044 posts

Posted 30 April 2019 - 1427 PM

It definitely will. 120mm gun-mortar is there for both low weight and low recoil. Changing it to even good ol' 122mm 2A31 from 2S1 will almost triple weight of cannon alone, plus weight of recoil absorbers it will require to work from that hull... I don't say that 152mm can't be fitted, after all we have 2S25 with full power 125mm smoothbore. But it will definitely add quite a lot of weight.

The real weight is in the ammunition. Not of much use if it can only carry a dozen or so rounds.

Wasn't there a project to fit the new 120 mm mortar in old 2S1 hulls to replace the 122 mm cannon?

#11 GARGEAN

GARGEAN

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,061 posts

Posted 30 April 2019 - 1456 PM

Wasn't there a project to fit the new 120 mm mortar in old 2S1 hulls to replace the 122 mm cannon?

2S34 Hosta. Few dozens were made.

#12 Gavin-Phillips

Gavin-Phillips

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,576 posts

Posted 07 May 2019 - 1406 PM

Thank you.  I was actually thinking about the 2S25 "Sprut" when I asked about the 152mm option.  The 120mm mortar option would seem to be the best idea for such a light-weight hull and as already mentioned, the amount of ammunition the vehicle would be able to carry.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users