• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 DaveDash

DaveDash

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 700 posts

Posted 10 July 2008 - 2001 PM

As mentioned there is an issue with AMD HP machines and service pack 3. It can cause them to go into a reboot cycle and needs to be resolved by disabling some drivers in the recovery console.

We have ran into a few issues with this on sites that did not have update management such as WSUS

Contrary to popular belief here, this problem is not a Microsoft one, but rather HP being lazy and using the same driver for both intel and AMD chipsets.

#22 DesertFox

DesertFox

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4,489 posts

Posted 16 July 2008 - 1606 PM

I just upgraded both my laptop and both of my desktop machine to SP3....Seems to be pretty stable.
My laptop is a Dell C640

#23 Corinthian

Corinthian

Stone Age Bitter Delusional Retard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,358 posts

Posted 31 August 2008 - 0517 AM

It's 31 August here, and my Automatic Update is asking me to install SP3. So... how are all of you doing with SP3?

I just read Murph's latest computer trouble thread and that seriously deterred me from installing SP3 hehehehe :D

#24 DesertFox

DesertFox

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4,489 posts

Posted 31 August 2008 - 0817 AM

It's 31 August here, and my Automatic Update is asking me to install SP3. So... how are all of you doing with SP3?

I just read Murph's latest computer trouble thread and that seriously deterred me from installing SP3 hehehehe :D

Been running it on three machines for almost a month and a half.....seems pretty stable.

#25 EvanDP

EvanDP

Deus Ex Nukina

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,398 posts

Posted 31 August 2008 - 1437 PM

The only problem I've encountered is the combo of WinXP SP3, FF3 and FreeAVG8. It seems to make FF3 unstable. On all the machines I tend this seems to be the only problem I've encountered.

#26 DesertFox

DesertFox

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4,489 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 1157 AM

Instead of starting a new thread, thought I would post it here.

Has anyone used "Windows Fundamentals for Legacy PCs"
As well, where can you buy it?

#27 Rickard N

Rickard N

Swedish ilk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,355 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 1629 PM

I'm running SP3 and haven't noticed anything at all :)

#28 Corinthian

Corinthian

• Members
  • 21,358 posts

Posted 26 September 2008 - 0310 AM

Downloaded and installed on my officer laptop this morning. It's a 1.7GHz Celeron M, with 704MB DDR-RAM. It ran ok this morning and then, only an hour ago or less, it started to slow down considerably, as if I was running several applications or as if I had only 128MB of RAM. I restarted, and it's still slow. Dammit. It worked fine before SP3. Now, after five or so hours of smooth operation with SP3, it drastically slowed down. If this goes on, I'll be reformatting the computer and install XP SP2.

Definitely a minus in my decision-making process of installing SP3 for the home computer (that one with 2GB DDR2, but CPU is almost the same as the office rig).

#29 Archie Pellagio

Archie Pellagio

Now flouridating a water source near YOU!

• Members
  • 15,224 posts

Posted 26 September 2008 - 2315 PM

I was just reading the minimum sys specs for Brothers in Arms: Hells Highway, and the requirements are for SP3 (and a 2.6ghz dual core!)

My home PC is a decent machine (2.4ghz E660 dual core, 2gb DDR2 w/ 512mb GF 7950) and I don't use the internet at all on it, only games, images and word, but I don't have an XP disk.

a) is it possible to install without the XP install disk
and B) what are peoples experience a few months on?

I was really looking forward to BIA:HH but not at the cost of my other games.

Cheers, Luke

#30 Corinthian

Corinthian

• Members
  • 21,358 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 0751 AM

So.... It's been months since the update was downloaded by Autoupdate, but I have so far refused to follow the reminder telling me that I need to install SP3.

That said, if I continue to resist, does this mean by XP SP2 doesn't get any new updates?

One reason why I'm weary to install SP3 is that I don't have the time to backup the HD's contents.

#31 Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe

purposeful grimace

• Members
  • 32,282 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 0925 AM

That said, if I continue to resist, does this mean by XP SP2 doesn't get any new updates?

There will be a point in time where you will need to have SP3 installed to receive further updates. ISTR also that there's a point at which the Windows Update widget and/or server pretty much refuses to deal with a machine which is too far behind in Packs. I.e., when SP2 had rolled out, I think machines that weren't SP1 or higher were refused service.

M laptop is at SP3, desktop at SP2. I don't really notice a difference at this time.

#32 Corinthian

Corinthian

• Members
  • 21,358 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 0929 AM

Ah I see then. Thanks Ivanhoe. :)